Finally Got Heat

samkarenorkaren

My neighbor went to the city to complain about our building not having any heat. He had also called our management and they had said they were working on turning on everyone but failed to mention that our entire boiler had been dismantled. The new boiler was delivered but it was not installed. The city inspector contacted management and said play would be fined if they didn't do something immediately.
When I got home from work yesterday the new boiler had been installed and the heat was coming through. I was also told that I will no longer have the heat 24/7 and I can actually control it from my thermostat now. So yesterday morning when I woke up it was 62 degrees in my apartment. This morning I'm back to my very comfortable 80°.

SaveComment20Like3
Comments (20)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Hot Rod

I'm sorry you've been without heat! 80º would be much too warm for me, but I'm glad you're comfortable. :)

1 Like Save    
bpath

So glad you've got heat!

1 Like Save    
samkarenorkaren

After 7 years if heat being on 24/7 (it never shut off) I got used to it being 80 in my apartment.

Save    
nickel_kg

How frustrating that must have been! Glad you're all set now.

Save    
dedtired

Another reason I will never live in an apartment building. I don’t want anyone else deciding when I have or don’t have have heat or AC. Glad you are up and running, SamKaren, although I’d be roasting at 80 degrees.

Save    
Jasdip

In Ontario the heat must be turned on Sept 1 and off the middle of June, in apartment buildings

Save    
OutsidePlaying

Yay heat!! Oh boy, 62 is way too cold, and 80 is too hot, but at least you have control.

Save    
summersrhythm_z6a

My tenants have controls on what temp they want. But no one would heat their places to 80 F, their heating bill would be too high. :-) They pay their own utility bills. Your rent must include heat. it sounds like a big apt building with many units and can’t have individual gas and electric meters. Glad you got heat. Winter is almost here. Do you open your window a little with 80F? :-)

Save    
samkarenorkaren

I open the window if it's stuffy. Tomorrow is our last warm day then temps drop to the low 50s during the day. Lol if you want the truth when I get home from I strip and don't put clothes on until the next morning. Sitting around naked keeps me cool when it's 80 and saves on laundry lmao. Yes...my heat is included in rent

Save    
Lars

It was 76° here a couple of days ago when our A/C went off, and that was too hot for me. However, Kevin went up into the attic and siphoned water from the drip pan, and then the A/C worked again. We had this problem a couple of years ago and need to remember to siphon water off of the drip pan at least once a year.

It costs a lot more to cool than to heat, and it's supposed to be cool enough by this week-end that we should not require A/C. We never turn heat on until some time in December and turn it off in February in L.A. There are always a few days that we require A/C in January each year with the outside temps are in the mid 80s.

Save    
maifleur03

Since you have posted that your apartment complex is being rehabbed expect to say good by to having the utilities included in your rent. That is a thing of the past in most of the rehabbed apartments in this area. Enjoy your heat while you can.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

If the inclusion of utilities is mentioned in the lease agreement, no change can be made until the lease period expires.

Save    
samkarenorkaren

Elmer right now we are on a month to month basis. After that it's a 9 month lease.

Save    
Jasdip

I would hate to live in a place so hot that I feel comfortable only when naked. You'd rather be hot than clothed?

Save    
maifleur03

Elmer samkaren had mentioned recently that their complex had been purchased and was being redone into luxury apartments. It would be unusual although it is still done that the utilities would remain as part of the rent which is why my comment.

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

If there are terms and conditions in a lease agreement, the fact that it's month to month only means that it's short term and can be terminated by either party. "Month to month" describes the length of an agreement, not the terms.

Unless the terms and conditions are blank and governed only by local law, which would be unusual.

Save    
summersrhythm_z6a

It's very funny Karen. A naturalist has been created by the new boiler! Lol

Save    
maifleur03

summersrhythm you made me grin. I think the word you are looking for is a naturist not a naturalist however I have known some naturalists who were also naturists.

1 Like Save    
summersrhythm_z6a

Thanks for the correction maifleur! :-)

Save    
samkarenorkaren

Lol I just hate doing laundry. But to update you. Heat is on 24/7 because they haven't made the connection with the individual thermostats. Since the temperature was 72 degrees today when I got home my temperature in my apartment was 86 I will show you the photo just so you can say oh my God. I had to turn my air conditioning on to bring it down and I did get it to 83. I got my windows opened at the moment and there is a cool breeze coming in but thankfully tomorrow afternoon the high temperature is going to be 45 degrees.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides 10 Drought-Tolerant Shrubs That Thrive in Full Sun and Reflected Heat
Got a hot spot in your garden where plants often die? Try these tough shrubs that add beauty while shrugging off the heat
Full Story
Housekeeping Before You Roast Those Chestnuts, Make Sure You've Got a Clean Chimney
Here's how to ensure your chimney is safe for holiday gatherings by the fire
Full Story
Housekeeping Dishwasher vs. Hand-Washing Debate Finally Solved — Sort Of
Readers in 8 countries weigh in on whether an appliance saves time, water and sanity or if washing by hand is the only saving grace
Full Story