SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katrina1_gw

I finally got that horrible maple trimmed.

katrina1
16 years ago

Several months ago, I posted advice on how to deal with a neighbor's maple, which kept dropping significant limbs on my property.

I commented in that earlier post that I did not think the tree was a silver maple tree, because I had never seen a silver maple tree look so bad and present as many problems that this tree was presenting. The leaves of this tree did not even look as pretty as the silver maples I have seen in the past.

The crew used a bucket truck to get up to the portion of high branches, which overhung my property. I had them trimmed all the way back to my property line.

The tree is so massive that the wood they chipped from those pruned away branches nearly filled their truck's huge enclosed bed. Even so, the tree's canopy still looks full and not at all one sided.

The crew boss that came with his crew to do the work told me that it was a silver maple, and that he had never before seen a mature maple with so many trunks. Then he added that I was very wise to get that work done on the tree, because the weak wood of the maple, the number of trunks, and all the vines growing up the tree made it a danger for both the neighbor's house and ours.

Even though I had to pay $500, which was the cheapest bid I received for the job to be done, I still am so happy I coughed up the money, and now the parts of those branches which over our property no longer exist. Another good thing is that the cuts on the maple are not dropping sap. That suggests to me that the few weeks of dry spell and triple digit heat, we've recently experienced, must have been effective enough to stop the tree's sap from dripping. It also encourages me to conclude that at this time the tree should not be strong enough to send out a flush of new growth in response to the pruning.

Since the trunk to the part of the tree growing over our property was far back from our property line, most of the branches that were pruned now have downward slanting stubbed ends. Several of those stubbed ends reveal branches which have completely rotted out cores. That was a clear indication to which branches, when the next storm which blew through this fall, would have fallen and hit the house and landscaping.

Yes, in this triple digit heat period of summer, it could be preceived as unwise to chop off limbs that provided us so much welcome midday shade, I still certainly am relieved the work has finally been completed.

Comments (4)