SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msjay2u

I finally got my Guineas

msjay2u
14 years ago

After long tries of getting some Guineas I finally found a lady in Henderson who sold me some Guineas. I brought them for ant/tick/snake control. I heard they were wonderful at that. We started talking about Guineas on the tick control thread and not wanting to hijack that thread I started my own.

For those of you considering Guineas here is something jenica posted to me on another forum that I thought was pretty funny:

Here are the likes:

1. Their faces are as ugly as sin but in a way that makes me laugh

2. They have this funny way of charging around with their wing feathers tucked up.

3. They make sweet little chirping noises to each other

4. They do sound the warning if any big bird flies over head

5. Just this week the females decided to nest in my barn. They're really cute because while one of the females is laying the other stands next to her to wait her turn on the nest. Meanwhile their mates hover nearby cheering them on with little chirps. Very cute.

The hates:

1. They are very LOUD

2. They sound the warning for EVERYTHING. Every time the sun rises they must think the earth is going to catch fire because they screech for an hour. Then when the sun sets they let everyone know the world has ended. Anytime a neighbor drives by, a dog barks a mile away, the wind gusts, a cloud covers the sun the screeching is on.

3. They eat like pigs and don't lay me tasty eggs every day like the chickens (guineas lay seasonally)

4. They're mean to the chickens. Chasing them and pecking at them while the chickens run panicky. Not cool. They were raised with the younger chickens and this didn't start happening until everyone was grown up. No one has been injured but I still don't like the bullying.

I am interested in hearing what your experience in the garden has been with Guineas

I have not heard the adults making any sounds yet. All I can tell you is that I had the day old keets in my office and they made such loud noises that I thought they were going to pierce my eardrum. I put them in the basement and I could hear them load and clear through the floor. Soon as I can afford some wood I am building their coop outside so they can get outta here. I do like animal noises outside though. Part of the joy in nature.

Thanks

Comments (3)