Christmas baking

Louiseab Ibbotson

I’m starting to think about what to make to put out during the holidays. I usually do some sweet and some savoury and have them in the freezer until I need them. Every year I like to try something new. But my constants are:

Nanaimo bars

Whipped shortbread (from Best of Bridge)

Butter tarts

No bake chocolate saucepan cookies (not my choice, but hubby insists, I think that was the one thing his Mom made for the holidays, she didn’t like to spend any time in the kitchen, since she has passed away, I can hardly deprive him of the memory)

Sausage rolls, small, about 1 1/2 inches

Curried chicken and almond rolls

Cheese phyllo triangles

Feta walnut phyllo triangles

Mini tortieres

There must be more,but that’s all I can think of. Do you do baking ahead for the holidays?

SaveComment14Like
Comments (14)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

I rarely wait until the holidays :-) Why wait for one time of year to enjoy certain baked treats? I make sausage rolls, spanakopita and mushroom tarts whenever the mood or hunger strikes and then dip into them as desired. About the only items I reserve exclusively for the holidays are mincemeat tarts or truffles. And truffles are generally for gifting, of which there will be very little occurring this year.

My freezer space is limited so that also restricts what can be done ahead of time. I would do more making ahead and freezing if space was not a concern.

Save     Thanked by Louiseab Ibbotson
Fun2BHere

I love the concept, but my freezer is tiny and never has room for anything extra.

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Same here. I will make pastry crusts ahead, but have little room in my tiny freezer. I make doughs a week or so ahead and refrigerate them.

nancyofnc

We won't be getting together with anyone these holidays. We're "elderly" and don't want to be a statistic. I usually bake something every week and with just two of us our freezer is full of leftover portions - sweets and cooked meals. It is going to be very sad this year.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Louiseab Ibbotson
plllog

I do bake ahead for the holidays, sweets and savories, especially the latter, but there will be no gatherings this year, and I only have recipes for dozens and they don't scale well. There are still some latkes from last year in the freezer. That'll do.

chloebud

I normally do bake a lot ahead for the freezer but this year will be different. Right now I have pie crust and shortbread dough frozen. The pie crusts are pretty much there year round.

Louiseab Ibbotson

I used to work with a girl from the states. She told us that in here area they didn’t do Christmas cookies and such. Only pies made the day of or the day before.

Save    
Louiseab Ibbotson

pillog, I’m with you, I prefer the savoury over the sweet.

1 Like Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

I might make all my usual things, since they keep well, but we won't be doing much in the way of festivities.

Save    
nekotish

Louise, would you please share your curried chicken and almond roll recipe? I do our favourite Christmas sweets, but would like to add some savories. Thank you.

Save    
Louiseab Ibbotson

Hope this works. I make as directed with a couple changes. I use hickory smoked almonds and chop those, not quite finely and add closer to 3/4 cup. I also use white sandwich bread, not whole wheat. I use thigh meat.

http://lotsofinfo.tripod.com/A8curriedchickenrolls.htm

2 Likes Save    
nekotish

Thank you so much. They sound like something we'd love and I was hoping that it was a recipe that could be frozen. Will definitely be trying these.

Save    
Louiseab Ibbotson

Hope you do. I’ve making them for at least 35 years and we love them!

Save    
booberry85

I've usually started making & freezing cookies for Christmas by now. This month my work has been crazy busy. I've been in my house for approximately 96 hours this month. Cookies I usually make ahead of time and freeze are: Chocolate chip, M & M, Carmel Chocolate Treasures, Caramel Cashew Bars, Maple Pecan Bars, Sugar Cookies and a few others that strike my fancy at the time of baking.

For Thanksgiving, I usually make Gingerbread cookies that also freeze well. I don't have those made yet either. I did make GF pie crust, vegan pie crust & regular pie crust as well as peach pie filling and have all of that in the freezer.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design Get Organized for Holiday Baking
Before you crack that first egg, establish a game plan for stress-free success
Full Story
Product Picks Guest Picks: Holiday Baking 101
20 stylish finds to help crank out those Christmas cookies like a pro
Full Story
Kitchen Design Kitchen Design: Baking Stations Make Cooking More Fun
Get inspired to cook (and simplify holiday prep) with a dedicated space for baking
Full Story