SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
navi_jen

Balancing neighborhood, home size and yard size

navi_jen
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I've moved 1/2 way cross country to be closer to family. Living in an older metro area with tons of great turn of the century (yes, pre WWII) homes. Renting now, but on the market to buy. Just me and da dog. Early 50s, no kids.

Previously lived in a tiny home on a tiny plot in metro Boston, last house on 2 dead ends, with a backyard of a 60 acre wooded park. Basically a tiny house on a huge wooded lot, 20 minutes from downtown.

In this area, I seem to have to choose between neighborhood, home size and yard size.

1. In the neighborhoods I really want, if the larger yard is the priority (1/2+ acre), I have to look at houses in the 2800+ foot range. But the yard is perfect for da dog and possibly, a pool.
  2. In the neighborhoods that are acceptable, I can get a 2k-2500 sq ft house on 1/3 an acre, but the 1/3 acre feels a bit 'tight' to me. Dog running ability is limited and if I install a pool, no room for da doggo to run. I'm in a 1700 sq foot rental now, and it feels a bit small (I have a lot of beautiful antiques). Home size of 2k-2200 would be ideal. Houses in this range are priced in an band that I feel a bit more comfortable with in regards to finances (I can afford, heck even pay cash, for the larger home, tho I worry about long term maintenance eating into how much I stash away over/above my standard 15% for retirement).
  3. I can get the best of the home size/yard dilemma if I move into a neighborhood that I don't like (neighborhing on unsafe neighborhoods and hideous retail areas)..but I feel like that's a deal breaker.

Summary: Has anyone had to choose between larger house vs smaller yard? If so, which did you choose and are you happy about it, several years in? Things to consider?

TIA!

PS...I hire out housekeeping and lawn care, if that makes a difference...so cleaning and yard care is less of a concern. Also, about 100-150k difference between 1 and 2....not a deal killer, but enough to make you go 'mmmm'.

Comments (17)