SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hiddenspring_gw

Medium-sized trees for front yard

hiddenspring
11 years ago

I have looked at numerous posts on this forum and like certain slow decision-makers I am asking for some advice :) Our front yard is roughly 45' x 25' and I am looking to plant two trees - one in a larger 25'x25' section and the other in a smaller 15'x15' section which is also next to the driveway. Our house is 2-story.

I would like to pick a medium-large tree for the 25'x25' section (with fall color) and a small-medium tree for the smaller section (with spring blooms). Also preferably trees that would grow faster to fill up the space faster.

After looking and looking I keep coming back to a red maple (specifically either the brandywine or october glory). The two questions I have: (i) Most websites say brandywine will be shorter (about 30-35') compared to October glory, so I would prefer brandywine, however some websites say it has only a 12' spread and I am looking for ~20'. Do folks know what is correct? (ii) I keep reading about the surface roots of maple, so is there another option to consider in the 30-40' height range with red-orange fall colors?

For the smaller flowering tree I am considering three choices - Yoshino cherry, kousa dogwood or a redbud cultivar. I think I am inching towards the dogwood although it grows slower than the cherry because this area gets mostly shade (house is north facing) - and I read cherry blooms better in full sun. However two concerns I have are whether the dogwood berries will stain the driveway and whether the branches will be too low to drive a car into the garage without scratching. Also open to other opinions/ ideas. Thanks in advance.

Comments (32)