SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whitmax

Love the house but hesitant on neighborhood!

leigh m
8 years ago

Excuse the long post...

I'm in the process of searching for my first house. I'm in my 40s and a widowed mom of a 7-year-old and a 17-year-old...so I'm going through this on my own, which is a little daunting! Although I'm excited about buying my first house, it's much harder than I expected. I'm in a very tough seller's market here in Portland, OR, where the inventory is low and bidding wars are the norm. Recently, I absolutely fell in love with a property. It had every detail I wanted. Never thought I'd find anything so close to my ideal. It was such a surprise. Was even under my budget enough that I probably had a shot. The interior viewing of the house was at night and I wanted to see the surrounding area the next day...but they were going to make a decision in less than 48 hours, so I would have to decide quickly.

I returned the next day to see the area and realized the neighborhood was kinda awkward. Not good or bad...but awkward..and not really a neighborhood at all..but more of a group of houses along a popular through-street to a grocery store down the road. Here were my concerns:

The house was off a busy street (double yellow lines) but had a long driveway and was set back far enough that it was comfortable. But not safe for leisurely strolls or bike rides right of the property due to lack of a shoulder or sidewalk. Because of the road, the neighbors seemed to kinda keep to themselves and were all a bit isolated, although I'm kinda private anyway. But the people I met seemed very nice. The area seemed safe but the house directly behind the property seemed odd: kinda junky with stacks of old car shells etc and two big dogs tied in the back and growled at me when I peeked over fence. Kinda looked like a junk yard. But the fence was very high and the place was not noticeable unless you made an effort to peek over.

After talking to a few other neighbors, I did come to the conclusion that the area was generally pretty quiet, with the exception of "a few summer parties" from the junky house, I mentioned. Not sure how to take that comment or what it really means. I should have asked for more info on that comment, but I didn't for some reason. I did hear a few comments about how the street can get really busy around rush hour but that "it's not that bad"...and I kept asking myself if that was worth letting go of a great house due to do a few questions about an area that seemed generally safe and mostly quiet? Could I live with a busy street so close by? I really didn't know how I would feel about it long-term. What were those summer parties like from that weird house? Could be nothing or could be a nightmare.

I left feeling full of ambivalence. I loved the house and could imagine us there but the neighborhood set-up bugged me because I just didn't feel like I had a clear feel for it. The thought of putting in an offer made me sick but the thought of not putting in an offer also made me sick! If I had been able to spend a few more days exploring and coming over at different times, perhaps I would have been more confident in my decision. I had zero concerns about the house and several questions about the area...that I just didn't have time to answer. The deadline came and I had to let it go because I didn't have enough information.

What I'm wondering from homeowners is: Were you absolutely certain when you bought your first house? Did you buy with lingering doubts about anything....like you were taking a risk? Did I make the right decision to let it go? In this fast market where I live, there isn't much time for exploring and really getting a good feel for a place becauses houses are sold within a day or so. I don't think I can go through this with the next house I like! My hope is that when the right one comes, I won't feel so ambivalent. Doing this on my own is tough because the decision is on me and I feel such a sense of responsibility to my kiddos, to keep them safe and make sure they are happy and comfortable in a new place.

Is it like falling in love with your life partner? Like when there is no uncertainty or doubts? I probably sound pretty naive but not sure how else to handle this journey!

Thanks for reading and any advice or enlightened words would be appreciated:)

Comments (27)