Parsnip Soup Recipe

sarahsocal

Good morning all.

Several years ago we had parsnip soup as part of a Christmas dinner and I very much enjoyed it. Having said that, I have no idea about a good recipe.

Anyone have any recommendations? What about parsnip and potato soup? I really have no experience cooking parsnips so would appreciate any advice.

SaveComment6Like
Comments (6)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac92

parsnips are like carrots...on steriods. Pretty well any recipe for a carrot soup will work. Was the one you remembered creamy or broth based and chunky?

If I had to make a parsnip soup, I would cut up a medium yellow onion and 2 ribs of celery, and sautee in 1 T butter with 1 T olive oil until soft but not brown. Add about 2 cups of cut up and peeled parsnips and 1 cup of cut up red potatoes. Add a quart of chicken broth, and simmer until soft.. Mix 2 T flour with 1 cup of light cream or whole milk and slowly add to the simmering soup. Cook stirring often for 7 or 8 minutes....taste and add salt if it needs it and finish with a couple of grinds of fresh black pepper.

Save     Thanked by sarahsocal
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Love parsnips. ^just like Linda, depends if pureed or slightly chunky. I use parsnips in my roasted garlic/leek soup. I might use a small potato or a bit of cream for a richer soup for guests. Just the two of us I keep it light. Less carbs. I keep dried milks and shelf stable cream in the pantry/freezer.

A bit of greens that need using it is a nice pale green. Always start with celery and shallot or onion.

Sorry no specific recipe because these soups for us are dependent on the crisper and what I have on hand. I always stock garlic, shallot, onion, celery, leek, a few potatoes. Homemade stock in the freezer.

Using a green with an orange like carrot and a winter squash will make a rather ugly brown soup. Flavor fine but odd color. Parsnip is a good veg thickener if wanting low carb.

Save     Thanked by sarahsocal
sarahsocal

Thank you both! Sounds like you make soups like I do - rarely a recipe.

The soup we had was of the creamy variety. Lindac92's "recipe" looks about like I had in mind. I have the parsnips, some leeks and potatoes. I will give it a try!

Thanks again.

Even though it is in the high 70s here in SoCal, I am craving soups!

Save    
Islay Corbel

I would use leeks with parsnips or your soup may be a bit too sweet. Leeks always add a great savoury side to any sweet root veg or squash.

Save    
agmss15

I recently made this ginger carrot soup. It was delicious. Maybe it could be adapted to parsnips.

https://www.loveandlemons.com/carrot-ginger-soup/

Save    
sarahsocal

So I bit the bullet yesterday and made Parsnip/Potato/Leek Soup. It was, hmmm, fine. Tasted a lot like potato leek soup (imagine that!).

Thanks all for the tips. Probably will move on from parsnips now.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design World of Design: Favorite Recipes From Food Lovers Around the Globe
By Houzz
Travel with your tastebuds and experience for yourself these international foodies' favorite dishes
Full Story
Kitchen Design 5 Home Cooks Share Their Favorite Family Recipes
Peek inside the kitchens of these Houzz users and learn how to cook their time-tested, passed-down dishes
Full Story
Kitchen Design Kitchen Recipes: Secret Ingredients of 5 One-of-a-Kind Cooking Spaces
Learn what went into these cooks’ kitchens — and what comes out of them
Full Story
Premier Floors Inc. is a general contractor offering remodeling and construction services. As a top contractor,... Read More
With quality custom window treatments and the best window treatment designers in Long Island, we have you and... Read More