Do you like a cold bedroom?

sal 60 Hanzlik

I had my windows open and out temp this morning was 35. I love a cold bedroom. In the winter I close my vents because my windows frost up. How about you?

SaveComment49Like1
Comments (49)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lukki Irish

Absolutely! I love the cold and sleep with the window wide open all winter. At times it may seem extreme especially when it’s in the 20’s and lower, however, there is nothing a good to me as getting under a really fluffy down comforter when it’s cold like that. That’s the only time I can honestly say, I sleep really good.

2 Likes Save    
Elizabeth

I do not open windows in the winter but I like the room cold. 55° to 60°. As you might expect, DH does not agree. Such is marriage. 😁

3 Likes Save    
Debby

I like it cool, but not cold. I had my bedroom window open a tad (about 1") up until about a week ago. It's too cold outside now to keep doing that. We've gotten our first snowfall and the temps have fallen below 0C. I don't want my window to freeze open and with the furnace kicking in when the house cools down, I don't want it trying to warm up my room with the window open.

Save    
Judy Good

Yes, cool is good. I always have a fan on and vent is closed in my room in the winter, open in the summer.

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

I have to have fresh air and sleep with my window open year round. It's open wider in summer but still remains firmly open all winter, cold temps, snow, whatever. I just do not sleep well without fresh air and can't imagine living where one has to rely on AC to be comfortable. I'd have to sleep outside!!

3 Likes Save    
Uptown Gal

Cool, but not cold. No open windows here ....with the winter freezing temps and the snow and ice that we get

that would be crazy. :)

Save    
Ninapearl

**raises hand** window open, fan on, vents closed, electric blanket. i love a cold bedroom and the fresh air.

1 Like Save    
Elizabeth

I like to air out the room with the door closed so as not to affect the nearby thermostat. Then I feel like there is enough fresh air in the room in the winter.

Save    
Lars

I don't like it any colder than 65°. In Venice I would sleep with the windows open, unless the neighbors were having a party and I wanted to block out the noise. In Westchester, I keep the windows closed at night because I get a small amount of airport noise, but I cannot hear it with the windows closed. The airport noise does not bother me outside because it is fairly faint, but I will notice it when I am trying to go to sleep with the windows open.

Save    
bpath

I set the thermostat down to about 60 in winter. Love it. But I have to program it to turn the heat back on at about 5:30, otherwise it's TOO cozy and I don't want to get out of bed in the morning!

Save    
Jasdip

Yes! I have my register completely closed and the window open year except in dead summer when it's hot and humid. It drives me crazy when the snow-plow cleans our crescent at 4am during the winter. The scraping, the beeping if he backs up etc.

I like snuggling under quilt and comforter.

1 Like Save    
Kathsgrdn

No. I hate the cold. It got down to 34 this morning and my house is ice cold (65 lol). I have a space heater now on in my bedroom because I don't want to turn the heat on in the house yet. It's still chilly out and I have to go uncover my corn and peppers and plant some bulbs, am dreading it.

Save    
sjerin

As I age, I sleep much better in a cooler room. Unfortunately dh does not feel the same so we compromise. It's not cold at night here, yet.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Cool, not cold. Low 60s in winter is about my limit.

Save    
Rose Pekelnicky

No. I have to be warm. Hate the cold

Save    
tvq1

Yes--very cold! Even when we lived in Alaska we opened our bedroom window at night, even in the winter. I sleep much better in a chilly room, under a down comforter. Now that we live in Idaho, even though we have central AC, we have a small portable air conditioner that we use at night in the summer to keep our bedroom around 65. Any warmer than that, I really don't sleep well.

ETA: But I don't like to be cold any other time!

Save    
morz8

Cool, but not cold. We sleep under an all seasons down comforter, I like to be warm in bed but have fresh coolish air at my face. Another household where we sleep with a bedroom window open all year around. It's enough of a habit I'm mildly uncomfortable/claustrophobic in a room without an operational window.

The only time that first floor bedroom window is closed is if we're leaving town, then I close and lock it for security reasons.

Save    
nickel_kg

Too cold (under 60 degrees) is better than too hot (over 80 degrees). Just right in winter is about 63 with a heated mattress pad and comforter; just right in summer is about 75 with a light sheet. Window open whenever we can maintain those temps without the heating or cooling kicking on.

Save    
stacey_mb

I love a cool or even cold bedroom for sleeping. I have a down comforter and a fuzzy blanket for cozy nights.

Save    
joann_fl

NO!!!!! I use an eclectic blanket year round, I hate a chilly bed.

Save    
samkarenorkaren

NO for me too. Mgmt won't turn heat on until temps are steady 50 degrees outside. It's 65 in my place and I have oven and space heater going. Wearing sweats, robe and 2 pair of socks. I hate being chilled or cold.

Save    
FrozeBudd_z3/4

Newer home, though three exterior walls on my bedroom and infloor basement heating below that for some reason does not work as efficiently as it does for the rest of the house. At times of bitterly cold temperatures when I've kept the furnace off and just relied on the infloor heating, my bedroom has become VERY cold, I mean one day it was only 5 C / 40 F in here! Yes, I can manage even through that, but only when I'm very deeeply covered over in blankets, lol. One of my cousins had once said they had awoken in the morning to see snow on their bedroom floor from the open window.

Save    
maifleur03

Not certain what I am going to keep the thermostat on this winter. Was doing 65 days 58 nights but found that I used more energy than leaving it at one temperature. Before anyone comments. Yes I know how to read a utility bill. I have a large credit that will allow a higher temperature if I want.

No to the windows being open because the raccoons know how to take the screens off and the windows slide easily.

2 Likes Save    
Michele

No way! I have no tolerance for it. I feel cold when others are comfortable. I carry sweaters in the summer because I always find people blast the AC way too much for my liking. (Back when I was going inside places...“bc”....before COVID)

I love love love heat!!

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

LOL!! I like a cool room with plenty of fresh air......not a cold bed! With a down comforter, a quilt handmade by my best friend, a dog and a cat that visits regularly (I catsit for 3 weeks at a time), my bed is never cold!! It is snug and cozy :-) But I gotta have that fresh air!!

I remember once waking up one winter morning at a previous residence and my dog at the time (who slept on floor right by my side of the bed and directly under the window) had a light dusting of snow on him! With a full coat of fur, he was perfectly comfortable and never even noticed :-)

1 Like Save    
dedtired

Interesting that so many of you sleep with an open window. I couldn’t tolerate that in the winter or summer. Too cold and too hot. I used to do that in spring and fall but my neighbors now are loud and leave a spotlight on all night. I turn the heat down to 63F in winter and that’s chilly for me. Thank heavens my bathroom has a heated floor for nighttime trips.

1 Like Save    
lily316

Glad I am not the only one who likes a COLD bedroom. As cold as possible. Today we finally had to shut the central AC off and turn on the furnace because it was 39 last night and cold in the house. I immediately ran upstairs, closed the vent in my bedroom, and shut the door. The window remains open all winter long, never closed. In the summer it's never opened because of the heat and I have a window AC to try to keep it cool. I had to get my fluffy white blanket out of storage today. I do not sleep well in the summer at all. I need it very cold.

1 Like Save    
kathyg_in_mi

I used to have windows open in the winter, but now my feet are always cold (diabetic) so I heat up a rice bag and put it at the foot of the bed when I go to bed.

1 Like Save    
adellabedella_usa

My husband likes it cold. I don't. He gets to be my personal foot warmer. I have an electric blanket I put in the bed in winter to warm it before I get in. No open windows here.

Save    
prairiemoon2 z6b MA

I remember my Mom used to tell me how that was how it worked in their house growing up, that a window would be open in the night in bedrooms all year. They were very big on fresh air in those days. If you were sick they'd keep you in bed with a warm comforter and open the windows. Spring and fall clean the whole house would get aired out.

I used to have a window open at night more than I do now. I find I tolerate the cold less than I once did. Once I get cold, it takes me awhile to warm up again. We used to keep the thermostat set to 68 during the day and 64 at night. Now when I get up in the morning, I crank the heat to 70, then turn it down to 68 once we get the chill off the house.

This season, I bought a new down comforter and added that to the one on my bed. So now I have a double layer on there, so I think I can do fine with a cold room at night this year. [g] I also add hot socks to my bed. Like Kathy, but I don't use rice, I use wheat berries. I dislike electric blankets and heating pads, but the hot socks are perfect providing nice even, moist heat for a couple of hours. They are excellent for sore muscles. They warm in the microwave.

Save    
amylou321

I like it 70 ish with the ceiling fan on. SO likes that ok in the summer. But in the fall and winter he likes it uncomfortably hot (to me) when he gets in bed, then wakes up complaining of how hot he is hours later. I put hot water bottles on his side of the bed to warm it up before he gets in it and also to ease his back pain. If I am working, when I come home in the morning he will also have the main heater on AND a space heater in the bedroom, sometimes a kerosene heater will be going in the kitchen too. Way too hot for me.

When sammy my pitbull was alive I used to fuss at him because he would go lay on the floor with his face almost touching whatever heater SO had going. He would get VERY excited when he saw SO fiddling with one,either the electric space heater or the kerosene one. He knew the heat was coming! He would try to lay his head on the fireplace when we had a fire going too. He and SO were heat buddies I guess.......

1 Like Save    
Marilyn_Sue

No, I do not want a cold room to sleep in, but I don't want it hot either. Electric blanket for me for aches and pains. Never ever sleep with a window open.

Sue

Save    
chisue

"Experts" say 68F is ideal for sleep, but I want it cooler. DH and I have always slept with an open window unless outdoors is well below 32F or pollen/mold counts are high. Our DGS sewed a Draft Dodger for us for Christmas a few years ago. (I'd asked for it, and had to explain what it is to him and my DIL.) Using that at the bottom of the door to the hall prevents the thermostat from overheating the house.

My DM gave us a King electric blanket about 50 years ago. I now use one half of it under the mattress pad on my side of the bed to warm it before I get in. I have always gotten goose bumps from cold sheets or clothing. We use a blanket plus down duvet.

I'd think an open window could keep us from dying of carbon monoxide while sleeping. (Should alarms fail.)

Save    
lily316

My mother said once she saw a powdering of light snow in my crib in the morning so it's in my blood to love cold bedrooms. In college, it was a problem because half of us liked cold, the other two liked hot. So in the middle of the night, I opened windows.

Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I have always liked a little bit chilly bedroom. I find these days as my arthritis and other conditions worsen I can't keep it as cool as I once did. It hurts my joints. I don't like heavy covers either for the same reason. I lost all of my wonderful down comforters I had collected over the years and I haven't purchased a new one. I am using a down alternative blanket, it's OK but it's not as good as down!

Save    
Alisande

My bedroom is unheated, and I live in the northeast, so it gets pretty cold. I can't imagine opening a window in winter; I'd have snow in my face. LOL

In winter I preheat the bedroom with an electric radiator, and preheat my bed with an electric foot warmer. I turn off the heater when I get into bed. I have Raynaud's, and last winter I discovered that I sleep better, if I leave the foot warmer on Low rather than turning it off. By morning my room is cold enough so that it takes a real act of will to leave my cozy nest.

Save    
artemis_ma

I like to sleep warm. I turn down the heat while active and running around the house. I really like it to be warm when I get up and out of bed the once or twice a night my bladder calls to me. If I am shaking and shivering when I crawl back in... all the longer to fall back asleep.

Save    
pekemom

I'm usually cold anyway so I don't appreciate a cold bedroom. House is about 69/70 degrees in winter.

Save    
Alisande

Artemis, I highly recommend an electric mattress pad--either the one I have for the foot of my bed, or one that covers the whole mattress. You will get back into a warm bed and fall right to sleep.

Raven, I know what you mean about the down comforters. I had one from Ralph Lauren that I loved, but I gave it away when I was heating with wood because the woodstove downstairs overheated my bedroom above it. But now I'm no longer heating with wood, and down comforters have become so expensive!

Save    
Judy Good

I think it depends where you live. Here in Michigan, most do not have the window open in winter......Burr....

2 Likes Save    
Ont_Gal

Myself, I despise the cold-Hubby loves the cold. So, I have an electric heating pad on my side, and windows open most of the time. The neighbours burn wood for heat 90% of the time, and the acrid smoke smell tends to get to me coming in thru the open window. Heat is set at 68 here most days, and a bit lower at night.

Save    
nickel_kg

I second the recommendation for heated mattress pads. Of all the modern conveniences, this is the one I intend to never be without.

Save    
marylmi

No, do not like a cold bedroom!! Brrrrr

Save    
yeonassky

I like a cold bedroom but my head hates it. I enjoy the fresh air but I wake up with a cold head of all things if I have the window open in the winter.

I have tried a number of ways to make sure that my head is covered even wearing a kerchief but I take it off in the middle of the night. I won't stay under the blankets either!

Maybe I should look for a heated pillow cover or something like that.

Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Well this thread inspired me to just do it. I ordered a new down comforter. It is a mid weight which should be about right. And there was a coupon so I got a discount. It should be here Saturday. I also ordered new sheets to match. I owned these same sheets they were on my bed when the flood happened. I really liked them. Of course it doesn't get terribly cold for long periods of time here in Houston but we do get some cold.

1 Like Save    
grapefruit1_ar

I grew up in a house that did not have heat on the second floor ( bedrooms). DH and I both love a cold bedroom. We turn the heat down so that it never comes on during the night. I put the flannel sheets on last week, and also added another blanket. Once it gets really cold outside I will place a folded quilt at the bottom of the bed....just in case. We open the windows 365 nights a year.

1 Like Save    
matthias_lang

We used to keep the the whole house cold, and then even colder at night to make sure we could afford the gas bills. I sometimes slept with a cap on, but it was hard to keep it on while asleep. I would often wake up with a headache after sleeping with a cold head. Now we keep the thermostat at 62 through winter.

I don't understand the claim to prefer a cold bedroom but then sleeping with electric blankets, down blankets, and such. Is it just breathing cold air that you like?

Save    
Cherryfizz

Love a cold bedroom. Window open and fan on, soft flannel sheets and sleeping cozy under a duvet

1 Like Save    
prairiemoon2 z6b MA

@ Matthias - I am not as hardy as some here [g], but there is something about sleeping in a cool/cold room when you are snug under a warm comforter, that you enjoy. I'm not sure what the reason is either. I do think that if you grew up in a cold room with warm covers, maybe there is something nostalgic about it. I know I had times growing up, visiting family in the summer at 'cottages' that didn't have heat, when we had great family times, that is a lasting memory.

It is pretty amazing how warm and cozy you can feel. I never did feel that blankets ever produced that but a down comforter, really does. Of course, then. you have to get out of the bed into the cold room. lol. But nowadays, that is what is great about a programable thermostat.

It's also about the fresh air. The house gets really stuffy and stale with the windows shut all winter. It's good for you too, when you are sleeping to be breathing all that fresh air.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Product Picks Guest Picks: Style Your Bedroom Like a Boutique Hotel
Gather decorating and furnishing ideas from hip new hotels around the U.S. for a bedroom you'll never want to leave
Full Story
Bedrooms Design It Like a Man: Tips for Single Guys Planning a Bedroom
What guys should consider — aside from the Xbox — to design a bedroom that's comfortable, stylish and accommodating
Full Story
Lighting Change Up Your Bedroom’s Look With Pendant Lamps
When table lamps seem snoozy or you want to save space, bedside pendant lights are a bright idea
Full Story