For once I was thankful for the pandemic

Rose Pekelnicky

I have a sister who lives about 900 miles away. We aren't close. She called me yesterday and told me her husband was going to travel to my area next week to visit his sister. She said he would like to stop by and see me. I told her that he shouldn't because I am not socializing with anyone except my children due to the Covid virus. I really don't care for him and was glad to have a good reason to say no to a visit.

SaveComment18Like10
Comments (18)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sal 60 Hanzlik

good for you!!

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Rose Pekelnicky
Elmer J Fudd

You know the situation and we don't but I'd say that's too bad because they reached out to you. You could visit safely outside in your yard, weather permitting, without risk, if you wanted to see him.

If you dislike him so much you'd rather not see him at all, that's for you to decide. I think your excuse says that to your sister all the same.

5 Likes Save    
Mystical Manns

The fact that you don't like him due to previous knowledge gives you a valid reason for declining the visit. Before Covid, it would've been something like ... oh, I won't be in town that afternoon or, I have a previous engagement and will be unavailable. This is no different, in my opinion.

It is curious to me, why he would think to visit if she (your sister) was not with him. Since you're not close, it's not like this would be a common thing. I might've allowed it just to see What's What. LOL

1 Like Save     Thanked by Rose Pekelnicky
Gargamel

I’ve never met someone who didn’t have ANY redeeming qualities. All you have to do is focus on the good ones

Save     Thanked by Rose Pekelnicky
nickel_kg

As long as we're speculating (lol), it could be that sister didn't want Rose's feelings hurt if she were to find out that brother-in-law was so close but didn't even say "hi." Whatever, it's good to be able to say "thanks but no thanks" when you don't feel like saying "yes."

Elmer J Fudd

"it could be that sister didn't want Rose's feelings hurt"

That's true. But the gesture wasn't returned and feelings were likely hurt in the other direction.

Might it be that the outreach was done to mooch and this has been done before? Find a place to stay or whatever? No knowing what the family history is and it doesn't matter.

Save    
sushipup1

I have a very dear friend in California who has been here twice for a week's visit since we moved to PA 4-1/2 years ago. She would have been here in May if not for the restrictions. And I was relieved for several reasons. She's older by about 10 years, she'll be 82 tomorrow, and is getting a little forgetful. Not terrible, but I listen to the same stories several times a day. She's a good house guest, but we feel an obligation to 'entertain', doing rounds of museums and shopping. But my husband's mobility isn't good, and it's a strain for us. She's not all that savvy or aware, and last time I cringed to see how poorly she maneuvered in the airport.

As much as I love her, the pandemic came in handy and I didn't have to tell her that the visits were a strain for us. I think that by the time the danger is clear, she'll be ready to give up cross-country solo travel herself.

For now, we talk on the phone every couple of weeks, and that's just perfect. But I do miss her, too.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Rose Pekelnicky
eld6161

I totally understand. Under ordinary circumstances, you most likely would have agreed. yet.....it would have been unpleasant and uncomfortable for you.

I am glad you had the perfect excuse to say no.

olychick

I don't think you need anyone criticizing your decision to skip a visit with someone you don't like, who happens to be married to a sister you're not close to! Pandemic or not, if it were me, I'd be declining other visits with him, just because my time is too precious to waste it on people I dislike - whether related to me or not. Lots of ways to say it: "sorry, I'm not up to getting together right now..."

10 Likes Save     Thanked by Rose Pekelnicky
Elmer J Fudd

I agree but what caught my attention was being oblique about it.

No one needs an excuse to politely express their opinions or views. "Sorry, I don't think that would work out for me." Passive/aggressive conduct doesn't necessarily make either side feel better or understand for the next time, if there is one. Everyone is different. I try to be honest. And, with tough messages, kind and polite.

1 Like Save    
joann_fl

Good idea

socks

Using the virus as a reason is just fine with me. If he wants to talk to you, he can phone you.

olychick

Being oblique works just fine for many people.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

It's certainly become popular with certain politicians in the last 3+ years.

It's a personal trait many find off-putting. Not a good way to make friends or allies.

I'm saying nothing about the person originating the thread and I'm only responding to olychick as a general comment. The thread originator, to mention it again, is the person who knows the facts and who can best judge how she wants to handle it.

Save    
arkansas girl

HA! Yeah but I can't think of anything good that's come of this! UGH!

SEA SEA

We had a similar situation this summer with not close to relatives of dh vacationing somewhat nearby. The head of that group contacted adult dd who lives with us saying they would be in town for a short stay and asked her if she would like to get together. Then said on a subsequent communication to dd, she would like to see us too.

Dh and I gave it thought (I wasn't thrilled, as this branch of relations are difficult and unpleasant to be around, but I was ready to do my family duty). Dh felt slighted that his relative didn't contact him, but had contacted dd instead. We do have known phone numbers, email addresses, Facebook accounts and also snail mail as ways to be reached. It was decided to issue a statement that due to the pandemic, we were social distancing. Done. Sent msg via dd since not close to relative didn't contact us.

I do believe honesty is the best policy, but sometimes, it's just not worth it. We felt it was better to blame the pandemic in this instance instead of mentioning that due to your clan being a drag to be around, and you didn't bother to contact us anyways with a 2 second txt msg but did contact dd, nah, we'd rather not.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Rose Pekelnicky
jane__ny

There are rapid tests available. Just Google 'rapid tests' in my area. You get the results in 1/2 hr.

We did that when our daughter drove down from Connecticut to Florida. Got the test and we spent two weeks together.

Jane

Save    
terilyn

I just told DH last night that the one good thing from the pandemic is no school open house! I hate them! I didn’t mind them in elementary school, Junior high, not so much.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life 10 Things Around My Home That I’m Thankful For
A designer shares the comforts big and small that she is grateful for
Full Story
Life Thank U 4 the Gr8 Gift: How to Send Thanks in the Digital Age
We click open invitations and RSVP via text, but a handwritten thank-you is sometimes still best. Here's how to tell
Full Story
Fun Houzz Everything I Need to Know About Decorating I Learned from Downton Abbey
Mind your manors with these 10 decorating tips from the PBS series, returning on January 5
Full Story