Favorite fall dishes...

tcufrog

Right now my kitchen really smells like autumn because I have an 8 quart dutch oven full of 6 lbs of apples, lemon peel and cinnamon sticks simmering on the cooktop. My older son and I are making applesauce. It made me start thinking of my favorite things to cook in the fall such as chili and pot roast.

I'd love y'alls suggestions. What do you like to cook in the fall?

SaveComment18Like2
Comments (18)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amylou321

I don't make it myself but my favorite fall food to eat is pumpkin pie!

1 Like Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Yum!

Winter squash, soups and stews and for sure apples. I'm craving apple dishes right now.

1 Like Save    
tcufrog

I forgot about stew. If I have any pot roast left, I add it to stew or to a shepherds pie.

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Pot roast is another good one, for sure.

I make chicken Vesuvio too - with fresh herbs, and lots of extra peas and parsley

1 Like Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

Apple anything! I made apple crisp last week and I am making applesauce today. And pumpkin bread or muffins. I don't care for pumpkin pie but love the scent of pumpkin spices cooking and get my pumpkin fix from breads and muffins....or the to-die-for seasonal pumpkin donuts from my local bakery :-) Those with a glass of fresh apple cider and I am in heaven!!

Just finished up a batch of beef stew with fluffy dumplings and will be making chicken with dumplings in the near future. And chili and cornbread!

My absolute favorite fall meal is roast turkey with all the trimmings. I would fix and eat that year round except that turkeys never seem to be available other than in fall right before the holidays. When they do appear, I don't bother to wait for Thanksgiving :-)

2 Likes Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Football tailgating fare! Smoked meats of all types, ribs, brisket, pork butt, sausages, wings. whole chickens. And all the sides to go along like coleslaw, potato salad, etc.

2 Likes Save    
chloebud

I just made a pot roast that we like (Silver Palate recipe). Thought I'd make a favorite of DH's today...split pea and ham soup. Will make a second batch of pumpkin bars later this week and an apple crostata for a friend.

I just bought Ina Garten's newest book, Modern Comfort Food. It has lots of familiar recipes with some new twists. First on my list to try is the Chicken Pot Pie Soup. Hope it's as good as her Chicken Stew with Biscuits (a big Fall favorite).

1 Like Save    
lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan

gardengal, I pretty much see all my fall favorites right there in your post! I've already made chili and cornbread and we've had plenty of home-made sweets like apple cider donuts, pumpkin bread and pumpkin cheesecake. My kids are asking for my beef stew, so that'll likely be next on my "Sunday meal" list as we work our way up to the Thanksgiving feast.

1 Like Save    
lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan

Oh, and meatloaf, I forgot to mention meatloaf! My family loves my meatloaf with mashed potatoes and brown gravy when the weather gets colder. Along with homemade rolls to sop up all the gravy goodness, yum!!

1 Like Save    
Jinx

Soups with my cornbread casserole.

DH makes my favorite meal: it has cut up chicken, leeks, and sun-dried tomatoes, with a seasoned white sauce, served on penne pasta.

Stuffed shells (ricotta, spinach, fresh herbs, in sauce with mushrooms and onions).

Homemade, baked mac n cheese ... has cream cheese and cheddar, bread crumb topping..

Crock Pot meals ... Swiss Steak, Beef Tips, etc.

Pumpkin bread loafs.

Cornbread dressing.

Restaurant meal:

Babe’s Chicken. Miss it.

1 Like Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

What's a cornbread casserole, please?

Save    
sheilajoyce_gw

Beef stew. Beef Romanoff with lots of buttered, wide egg noodles. Chicken pot pie with lots of vegetables.

Save    
plllog

Isn't it time for Canadian Thanksgiving?

We're still HOT. That is we've had a week of warm and HOT is coming back. I'm putting the summer sheets back on the bed.

I did buy a nice big pumpkin. I hate not being able to choose, but they sent me a nice one. I also have a couple sweetie pumpkins on order. So pumpkin lasagna is in the offing. So is pumpkin soup and pumpkin empanadas. Since you can't get pumpkins after Halloween, here, even though they're needed until Thanksgiving, it's one of the most seasonal things we have. Good thing pumpkin dishes freeze well. :)

But I'm not ready to eat pumpkins yet. It's hot.

Save    
nancyofnc

Pecan pie (no corn syrup), homemade vanilla bean ice cream, and real caffeinated coffee (only 1/2 cup). DH loves stuffed homegrown green peppers (turkey, rice, tomato sauce, onions) with a side of mashed potatoes and tomato sauced over. Big bowls of minestrone with shaved Parmesan cheese on top at the last minute and crusty bread with butter slather. Roasted Cornish game hens stuffed with sage dressing alongside baked apples and poached pears. Oven roasted acorn squash with brown sugar and cinnamon.

These are all the fall things we love and in isolation they're great because they all take a lot of time to prep and bake and we all have lots of time for such indulgences.

Save    
Sherry

I'll let you know as soon as we have fall. It is 85* here today (North Alabama) and the mosquitos are carrying you off. I did buy some Libby's pumpkin, but can't get the umph to use it. Maybe this weekend, the high is going to be 65* to 70*.

I would like to cook some soups and maybe Swedish Meatballs, but that is going to have to wait awhile.

Save    
Jinx

carolb, here’s the recipe. It’s a hearty side to just about anything. Very popular at potlucks/get-togethers (I miss those!) ....

Cornbread Casserole

2 boxes Jiffy yellow cornbread mix

1 egg, whisked

1 8oz sour cream

1 1/2 melted butter

1 can whole corn, drained

1 can creamed corn

1 can chopped green chilis

Diced onion

1 green bell pepper, diced

Mix all in 9x13 greased baking dish ... bake at 350 for an hour. Will need fork or spoon to eat it. :)

My Mema used to make it. Another unusual corn side dish she’d have (and now my family insists I make) ...

Cream Cheese Corn

Fresh corn cut off cob or cans of whole corn, drained

Chopped green chilis

Cream cheese, softened

Mix all in saucepan, heat til bubbly, serve.

I don’t have measurements because I always do different amounts. You just want it pretty creamy, but not to the extent of creamed corn. For instance, serving for four: 2 cans drained corn, 1 large can chopped green chilis, 6 or so oz cream cheese.

1 Like Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Thank Jinx 🙂

That looks very much like a recipe a friend of mine would bring to potlucks - she's from Memphis and now lives in GA. I adapted it for myself using a regular cornbread recipe from scratch, and used to make it a lot - in muffin tins preheated with either olive oil or drippings so they'd get a crispy crust. I also would sometimes add bac'un bits & diced cheddar - it was almost a meal.

Is it 1 1/2 sticks of butter? That's a lot!

2 Likes Save    
Jinx

Right? I cringe just typing it out! 😆 It’s so darn good, though. I did try just using a cup once, I don’t remember it changing the dish drastically.

Mmm, I like the sound of your adaptation. :)

2 Likes Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Product Picks Guest Picks: Fall Entertaining Favorites
Make autumn feasts a piece of cake with chic compostable plates, pretty glasses, pie accessories and more
Full Story
Trees Houzz Call: Show Us Your Favorite Fall Tree
A towering golden oak? Flaming sugar maple? Please share a photo of peak autumn color where you live!
Full Story
Most Popular 20 Favorite Flowers for the Fall Landscape
Vivid blooms and striking shapes make these annuals and perennials a delight in autumn gardens
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More