SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
perennialfan275

Does your dog sleep on your (or someone else's) bed?

perennialfan275
3 years ago

Just curious. I know some people let their dogs do this and others don't. Do you believe it helps build a stronger relationship with your dog by doing this?

Comments (53)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

Depends on how recently he has had a hair cut :-) If he has recently visited the groomers - like now - even his very plush and cushy dogbed(s) are not cozy enough for him. He sticks to me like glue on the couch and at least prefers to start out on my bed. But he is getting on in years and can't make the leap up to my very high bed easily so I help him if he asks to get up (needs a boost for the car as well). But if he changes his mind during the night and gets down, he is on his own!

I'm not sure we could have a closer or stronger relationship. He is my shadow and goes almost everywhere with me.

• lucillle
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

No, she is crated. She is a chihuahua it would be a tragedy for both of us if I accidentally stepped on her when I get up during the night. The cat does sleep on my bed sometimes.

• Related Discussions

Tell me about your dog beds

Q

Comments (19)
    Boop, my friend just bought her pug a heated dog bed, I'll see her tomorrow and ask how he likes it. My idiotas have Costco beds, but prefer the sofas or my bed, if they can get to it. But at night, they do actually sleep on their beds. I have a small dog bed with a removable cushion that now sits in the hall outside my bedroom that one of the dogs uses at night. But my lab Max thinks the cushion is a toy and tries to go run with it. My biggest problem is the beds moving all over the floor, so I'm thinking I might steal a Pinterest idea and apply caulk to the bottom of the beds, should make them non-slip on the floor.
    ...See More

sharing a bed with your dog(s)

Q

Comments (32)
    One of our dogs, Tatya, graces us with her presence when she so desires. She is very good and stays at the foot of the bed and doesn't move all night. She has her own bed next to ours, as do the other 3 dogs. Most nights she sleeps in her bed, but sometimes she wants to sleep with us. She's our smallest dog, a ~35# Husky. The other 3 can't get up into our super-tall bed, but the height is no problem for our jumping bean! It's a king sized bed, otherwise I don't think it would work. And she absolutely would instantly and permanently lose all bed privledges if she gave even a squeak of protest to the OFF command.
    ...See More

How does your dog signal his need to go out?

Q

Comments (23)
    HoneyBear is around one year old now and we have only had him about 5 months. He still will wet in the house periodically if we don't take it on ourselves to put on the leash and take him out every two hours or so. He poops in the house a few times but mainly outdoors and on his walk. He is a funny dog about his eating too. I can put his food out for him and I have to coax him to come and eat. When he does he growls if I get near his food and would probably bite too. He eats some and goes through the motions of burying it in plain sight. Our previous little dog did that too. He has issues and they are tiring to deal with, but we must. Paul
    ...See More

O.T. Does your dog match your decor?

Q

Comments (75)
    The color of my new dining room is 'French Bulldog' black, the runner for the stairs was chosen specifically because the dogs like to guard (I use that term very loosely) from the landing and we have coordinating beds scattered throughout the house. My pimped out minivan is black with a personalized Frogdog plate and Harley is the poster child for the labels on our homemade wine. So I guess the answer is a resounding yes. I'm the neighborhood dog freak - love these pictures, but always, always have a soft spot for the short noses - especially that little black pug!
    ...See More
  • Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

No. I've followed a lifelong preference and practice - dogs stay on the floor. Not allowed on couches, chairs or beds, not ever. We've trained each to follow this behavior consistently, it hasn't been hard with any of them.

Our dogs have always been in the 70-80 pound range but we've never had more than one at a time. There's a dog bed in our bedroom and also in our family room. They can find a place to snooze or just rest wherever they want elsewhere. Both beds are put out of the way and not in the path of walking

• maddielee
    3 years ago

No. I love dogs. But they are dogs. There is no need for us to sleep with ours.

eta: we feed, play with, walk our dog and give her plenty of attention during the day. That’s all the bonding she needs.

• patriciae_gw
    3 years ago

I once had a dog that tried to sleep on my feet but the cats didnt like it.

• socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
    3 years ago

I have a rescue who grew up in a puppy mill. It took her two years to feel comfortable sleeping on the bed with me. She doesn’t stay all night, but often stays until I am asleep. I don’t think it makes our bond stronger, but is an indication of the strength of the bond.

• graywings123
    3 years ago

I just love having a dog in the bed.

• eld6161
    3 years ago

Our current dog goes on the furniture. He sleeps in various beds or chairs. In the morning he comes into our to be invited up for snuggle time.

He does get to sleep with us if there is a loud rain or thunder storm.

• buccos4vr
    3 years ago

Our cat sleeps beside me, I’m in the middle. DH faces my back and breathes loudly, the cat groans, and last night he sneezed on me. Needless to say, some nights I don’t sleep well, haha

Susanwv

• sal 60 Hanzlik
    3 years ago

yes

• Mary506
    3 years ago

My German Shepherd loves to sleep in between both of us. She is 85lbs. so if she decides to stretch out it can get uncomfortable & she does not like to be moved-oh well.

• maire_cate
    3 years ago

We've always had dogs and love them dearly. DH dotes on them and spoils them but I have a thing about dog hair. I vacuum frequently and our dogs always stay on the floor and off all furniture. I don't even let them sleep in our bedroom. However I know the day I die our black lab will be on the counch and in my bed.

I

• ladypat1
    3 years ago

Oh yes! and it's my own fault. They are too little to get up on bed, but they have learned "Let's take a nap? Wanna take a nap?' and "ok time to go to bed!"

• Judy Good
    3 years ago

Ours always slept where they wanted, nothing was off limits. Love me fur babies. We choose not to get another one (or two) after the last one left us. We travel often and it was getting hard to find sitters. But we have grand fur babies we see often. A great fix for us.

• bpath
    3 years ago

No dogs here. One cat sleeps with my son, on top of the covers. The other cat joins DH, on top of the covers, for a bit before I come to bed, but then he jumps down. I’ve had cats that liked to sleep under the blankets, but these don’t like to be covered up. Both like to sleep on the guest bed during the day, but not on any other beds.

• nickel_kg
    3 years ago

No. Our dogs have always had indoor/outdoor access -- and taking advantage of playing hard in the woods (old house) and garden (current house) they get pretty dirty. At night we put them out of the house, onto the covered porch to sleep. Much as I love them, and can live with hair bunnies and dusty footprints downstairs, I really don't want all that dirt in my bedroom, let alone in my actual bed. Someday we might transition to small, indoor only dogs, then the story might change. I do like a warm, cuddly, sleepy bed companion!

• joann_fl
    3 years ago

Not this dog I have now doesn't but the one before her did. I think it does create a better bond. Some dogs just have too strong a smell for me or they are too hyper. So it would depend on the dog for me to allow it.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    3 years ago

Of course! Dogs, of whatever size or how many. Cats, all of them. Both cats and dogs at the same time sometimes.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

I don't care if he is "just a dog". He is also my roommate and best friend and can go wherever in the house he wants. And that happens to be wherever I am.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    3 years ago

Yes. I keep a color matched sheet over the comforter . she starts out next to me, then usually leaves for the floor or “Her” chair. However, winter nights find her within petting range all night. There is a sweet calmness as I stroke her fur that enters my heart on those nights.

• OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

We don’t have a dog now, but in the past we never allowed our dogs in the bedroom. I have dust mite allergies and it was a big no. They never came beyond the door except a few times and knew better. Didn’t get in the sofa or chairs either. Again I caught one once when I got up in the middle of the night and she knew she was busted. Never happened again.

• lindaohnowga
    3 years ago

I don't have dogs any more but when we did, they slept with us and so did the cats. Now I just have 2 cats and they do sleep with me which I love.

• amylou321
    3 years ago

No. No dogs on the furniture at all. They have their own furniture. Although, when SOs son and his friends used to stay with us, Sammy would sleep in his bed with him. Sos son was a teen at the time. He knew he wasn't allowed on any other furniture and didn't try it so it was not a problem. My dogs now mostly live outside but when they do wanna come in they know that they are not allowed on the furniture. I am searching in earnest for a bull mastiff pup for SO. He wants a permanent "house dog" like Sammy was and has always wanted a bull mastiff. If and when I find him, he will not be allowed on the furniture either.

• lily316
    3 years ago

No. Over the decades I've had four dogs and 18 cats and not one of them ever slept with me. At the present, I have two 26 pound dogs. Not only do they not sleep with me, but they also don't even come up to the second floor. The steps are steep in this old house and dachshunds shouldn't "do" them. And there's no reason for either one to be up there since we are only there to sleep. My dogs see us every minute of the waking day. I think by now they're tired of us when we used to leave occasionally. I feel the same about my cats. All five pets have cushy beds thru out the house and one dog goes in his crate at night and the other in his plush bed. Both get three /four miles hikes every day.

• Kathsgrdn
    3 years ago

When I was a kid and teenager, our dogs did sleep with me. After I had babies, no. My kids, however, allowed the dogs to sleep with them, until Chewie chewed a giant hole in my son's mattress when we first got him. They weren't allowed to after that, however, I'm pretty sure they snuck them in anyway. All bedrooms are closed off to the dogs, unless someone is in there with them. My dogs don't get baths often and are outside, especially Chewie, a lot throughout the day. I cant' get them into the tub and keep them there while bathing them so I gave that up quite a few years ago. They only go to the groomer every 3 or 4 months. Today is rainy and muddy in places out back so it would be a mess to have them in my all white bed. Plus, I'm not used to having dog hair in my bed these days.

• wildchild2x2
    3 years ago

I love snuggling with my dog on the bed. This one is the huggiest dog (Rottie) I have ever owned. Bear hugs, snuggles she loves it all. When I come home petting is never enough. Has to be bear hugs and tight cuddles. We keep old sheets to put over the bed to keep the fur off the sheets and blankets. She sometimes leaves of her own accord to sleep on her dog bed.

• nhbaskets
    3 years ago

Our fur baby is my first. When we first rescued him, we tried keeping him in his crate. After sleepless nights of him whining, he made it into our bed. Now 10+ years, I wouldn’t have it any other way.

• User
    3 years ago

I'm always freezing. I love my furry heating pad at night! I curl up around her and it's like having a heating pad, but without electricity. :)

• abbisgram
    3 years ago

She does sleep with me, with her own blanket. When my grandgirl stays over she sleeps in her crate.

• caflowerluver
    3 years ago

My last dog, a 13 lb Dachshund slept in a crate with a dog mattress in another room at night. She had been trained that way. Though she would jump on our bed any time she could, especially if I took a nap. She loved to lie next to me and cuddle and snuggle. She was like a sleeping pill. I always fell into a deep sleep with her next to me. Not good for Dachshunds to jump up and down from high beds so I got to where I would pick her up and later put her back down.

Our current dog, a Dachshund mix that we got last March, tried to sleep with us at bedtime. We tried to put her in a crate in another room for a couple of weeks. It would take too long to describe what a disaster that was for all of us. She was 7 or 8 when we got her from the SPCA and her past records said she slept next to the woman every night. It seemed to be ingrained in her brain. So we compromised and got her a really plush dog bed and put it in our bedroom by the closet. She knew the command "get in your bed", so after a week she stayed and has been there ever since every night. I wouldn't want her in bed that close to me, she snores and barks in her sleep and flaps her ears all night long. And she does not really like to cuddle, though on the couch she will lay next to you and loves to be petted. I wish I knew more about her background. She is a sweet, funny, gentle dog and am glad she is a part of our lives and our family. I am getting use to her night time serenade.

• Elizabeth
    3 years ago

We haven't had dogs in years but when we did they did not sleep with us or on any of the beds at any time. I was kind of the pack leader and would not sleep with a dog pack. I was top dog so to speak.

• tvq1
    3 years ago

Our Finley doesn't sleep with us when we're at home, she has her own bed in the corner of our bedroom. But for some reason she always wants to sleep with us when we are traveling in our RV. It's a bit cramped!

She is also NOT allowed on the furniture. She knows that, so never does it when we're at home. But sometimes the cushions on our living room chairs are a bit wrinkled and hairy when we come home.......

• arkansas girl
    3 years ago

Our dog doesn't get on any furniture. We didn't actually teach this, she has just never once wanted up on furniture. I think that when she was in a foster home, they must have taught her not to get on furniture. I'm grateful for this, I don't really care for the dog hair to get on furniture. She does shed pretty bad at certain times of the year.

• socks
    3 years ago

Poet Mary Oliver's book, "Dog Songs," is poems about dogs. Here's one:

“EVERY DOG’S STORY

I have a bed, my very own.
    It’s just my size.
    And sometimes I like to sleep alone
    with dreams inside my eyes.

But sometimes dreams are dark and wild and creepy
    and I wake and am afraid, though I don’t know why.
    But I’m no longer sleepy
    and too slowly the hours go by.

So I climb on the bed where the light of the moon
    is shining on your face
    and I know it will be morning soon.

Everybody needs a safe place.”

― Mary Oliver, Dog Songs

• pudgeder
    3 years ago

Sometimes they let us sleep in the bed with them. ;-)

• Adella Bedella
    3 years ago

Mine prefers to sleep in his crate with the door closed and locked and a blanket over the top. He's small, but not a lap dog. He will follow me from room to room all day unless dh is home. If dh is home, he'll visit who he needs to so he can tell us about that good idea he had where we could go get him a treat.

• sprtphntc7a
    3 years ago

3 previous dogs: 1st 2 sleep in our bed most nights. 3rd dog never, she slept on the floor. first 3 only laid on furniture when we were not home. when they got old, we just let them do what the wanted. they all had their own beds.

our dog now, Leo, will lay for about 10-15 mins in our bed at bedtime, then he just goes and sleeps on his bed all night. in the morning, he will cuddle for a bit, till his stomach says 'feed me'!!!

he does lay on our furniture. we totally spoiled him since he was very sick and we didn't know if he would make it. he is just a sweetie and so innocent, so hard to say no. we just love him, such a good boy!!!

having a ball in the Perkiomen Creek, 2 weeks ago.

hey, come on everyone, post pics of your furbabies!!! no fun without pics!!!

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    3 years ago

Of course, he sleeps with me.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    3 years ago

Yep, our 80 lb. lab mix sleeps with me. Sheet over the duvet gets changed every day. He cuddles up against me which makes me feel safe and cozy! He gets two-thirds and I get one-third unless I am quick and stake out my territory in the middle before he jumps up. :-). Oh, and he doesn't snore.

• caflowerluver
    3 years ago

Picture of Nala asleep on the sofa.

• lily316
    3 years ago

Nope, they have never been in my bed and never will. Doesn't mean I don't love them, but I love my sleep more.

• matti5
    3 years ago

Yes! Our 85 lb.lab starts his nightly routine on the bed with us, then a couple of hours later heads to his other bed on the floor or to "his" leather couch in the family room. He will then rejoin us around 5am. During the time he is off the bed, we are joined by our two cats who lay at the foot of the bed. All three provide snuggle service, heat warmers, back support and sometimes a back massage when my lab is in dreamland and gets all four paws moving. DH and I have been married 39 years and have never slept without a pet on the bed, with the exception of travel and neither of us sleeps very well.

• socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
    3 years ago

Our dog looks so elegant on the furniture

• mojomom
    3 years ago

Yes, the gray one is our Jack and the other two are DD’s. But because our houses are connected and each have dog doors to a shared yard, her dogs like to come over at bedtime for a visit.

• marilyn_c
    3 years ago

All of my dogs are outside dogs. They sleep in the barn or on the front porch. When I had a house dog, she slept on a little bed beside our bed. The cats do sleep with me, if they want to.

• sleeperblues
    3 years ago

I have 3 dogs. A standard poodle, a mini poodle, and a bichon. The bichon was a rescue, and the first night she came home with me she jumped up on the bed and burrowed right next to my neck and slept that way all night. I think it made her feel safe. Since then she sleeps between DH and myself, sometimes under the blanket in winter, but never again against my neck like that first night. She's probably 15 now and can no longer jump up, so I lift her into bed at night. The mini sleeps in a bed on our floor, and the big guy likes it cool so he sleeps on the floor right up against the front door.

• socks
    3 years ago

Oski 11 years prefers to sleep alone on the floor. Better for us all.

• perennialfan275
    Original Author
    3 years ago

One thing I'll say is if you do let your dogs on your couch/bed be sure to clip their nails every so often. I don't think they're as sharp as cat nails but you don't want your furniture getting scratched up.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    3 years ago

No, they never did. We had 3 Komondors for a long while. And now we are potty training a standard poodle puppy for DD, puppy sleeps in a crate ( in the kitchen).

Sleeperblues, I an on the waiting list for another standard poodle puppy from the same breeder next spring if there is any. Is female standard poodle easier to handle than male? What’s your experience with poodles (male vs female)? Thanks