SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

Got any retro wall-mounted sink backsplash ideas?

Fori
3 years ago

This is a tiny powder room, utilitarian and not fancy. The room is just under 4'x5'. There is no decor. Toilet. Sink. Medicine cabinet (no frills and old enough to have a razor blade slot). Jelly-Jar sconce. Done. This was not where one would send guests in 1956 when it was new.

This sink gets heavy--and often dirty--use. The wall behind it held up fine until it was repainted in a remodel (not by me. My previous paint job was good!). The new paint isn't holding up well. I think I'd like a backsplash of some sort that is easily cleaned. (I know I can just repaint.)

How do you do a backsplash behind a sink like this? A single row of tile would probably look dopey. Ideally tile would be on the entire half wall down to the floor but the toilet is right there...and the sink's exposed plumbing...oof. Is there a way to do a backsplash (that looks better than 6 tiles stuck on top of a sink) with less effort? I can pull the toilet if I have to. But I sure don't want to.

Or just a ~6" high strip of stone across the sink only? Or maybe instead of stone, a fun laminate? (This house probably never had any laminate having pink and mint tile instead, but Formica would fit right in to any 50s ranch, right?)

Any suggestions for my grubby high-mileage sink? Thanks!

(Yes, that's a laundry faucet. I don't care! :P)

Comments (16)