SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
local_eater

Cats, Anxiety, Feliway

localeater
3 years ago

Does anyone have any experience with using Feliway to relieve cat anxiety?

My poor big boy cuddlebug kitty is going bald. I was pretty sure this was from overgooming due to anxiety and the vet has confirmed this. He has always been a timid giant.

When we first adopted him he hid for days in our loft and I remember my son, who picked him, lamenting he had gotten a dud. I said wait, be patient, he is purrfect. Sure enough he emerged and began sleeping on my son's pillow. Amazingly he often would wake my son when his blood sugar got low, practically a service animal! He has always hidden when we have company, and if it is overnight company it usually takes until the third day of guest before he will show himself and even then only for adult visitors, no noisy children for him.

He has had upheaval. Son went to college, we moved house, we all got locked down for pandemic and now son is gone again back to college. New house is smaller so there is less getting away space though we built in cat tunnels and they have their private spots.

Anyway the vet recommended Feliway or Prozac and we want to try the non-drug approach first. Anyone have any success or failures to share?

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022