SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
erindag

Design help - changing facade of house

erindag
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi there,

We have to replace the rotting walkway/steps of our house and I'm thinking it's time for a facelift. I think the two peaks were added at some point (home is 1930s) and the brick is only on the front lower level of the house. We are thinking of removing the brick and doing a uniform shingle look. The bump out is a small entryway and the area above it is just a storage space. What do you think about removing the brick bump out and adding a porch with portico? We would lose that bit of inside space but we don't use that entry. Would removing that peak make the second floor peak look weird?

Edited to add: We cannot take the walkway straight to the street because the front lawn is filled with roots of giant trees we won't cut down...

I know it's so odd that I want that bumpout gone! I'd like to get a beautiful new wood door but we will not be able to get a warranty for such a door because it's not protected from the elements...

Any thoughts about painting the brick? In person the brick is not really anything special and it's weird (to me) that it's just on this part of the house.

Thanks for any input.

Comments (27)