SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maddybeagle

Help me light an eat-in kitchen with movable table and seating

maddybeagle
3 years ago

Plans are coming along for my kitchen addition, which will be a ~15' square room with L-shaped kitchen arrangement on two walls and room for both table seating and comfy-chair seating. This will be my main eating space and my morning coffee space. The room will overlook the garden, shielded from the western sun by a back entry porch on the west side, facing the garden to the south, and overlooking trees and the neighbors' yard to the east, the sink wall. I specifically asked the architects for a plan that would let me rearrange furniture, since it's one of my favorite pastimes, and since I know the light in the room will behave very differently in different seasons. There will be times I want to sit looking out the south windows and times I want to stay away from them, in the shade of the west-side porch. I don't think I'll know what feels best until I begin to use the room. When I have more people over, I could pull the table into the middle of the room, but I think the vast majority of the time it would have an end against one wall or the other, for more clear space around the working zones.

The question is how to light the seating area and table to allow for furniture-rearranging. Lights in the ceiling will give general light to the seating area and table wherever I put them, but a fixed pendant over the table won't work. I'd thought of the kind of pendant on a height-adjustable cord, which I think is a thing that exists? Any ideas? Cautions? Both comfy chairs and table will need reading light at times, as I sit and read or work while coffee's brewing or something's on the stove. That doesn't need to be strong directional light, but it needs to be more than just can lights in the 9' ceiling. Thanks!

Pictures: layout with two likely furniture arrangements and some colorful inspiration/elements.

General design sensibility: warm modern, like this:

but with inky blues and complementary oranges instead of red and black:

I'd been looking at this kind of thing for over the sink:

I believe Nelson Bubble lamps have adjustable cords, though maybe not adjustable on the fly:

Comments (4)