SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691726

Random garden questions

User
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

1. I'm conducting a little experiment with some very basic DIY self-waterers for my outdoor potted plants (see pics below). The bottles have a small hole in the lid that provides a drip when the bottle is ever-so-slightly jostled. My concern is that once buried next to the plant, a bottle will just sit there and not release water. I don't know how stuff like this works, but is it conceivable that the plant roots will somehow seek and draw from the drip to activate a bit of water flow when needed? Sort of create a suction that will cause it?
Time will, of course, tell ... but I thought someone may have attempted something like this before and be able to advise if it's a workable solution. I am planning for a housesitter, and I don't want them to have to mess with plants.
2. My squash plants in the garden have looked terrible. They started out beautifully, then seemed to have a setback and I pulled up several of them that looked wilted and rotten. This, of course, thinned the plantings and the ones left have started to take off again. I think I only have four or so remaining and they have been producing squash blossoms like crazy, even though their leaves look a bit worse for wear. Problem is, I no longer know for sure if it's the butternut or the spaghetti squash remaining. Doesn't really matter; I'd just like productivity. To that end, does the third picture look like a baby squash in the making?
3. Say hello to Baby Sunflower, which has been blooming for less than 24 hours. 🌞

Comments (35)