SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
toryk_gw

Random questions about Ponytail Palm!

toryk
14 years ago

Hello all!

This is my first visit to this site and forum, and I am so glad that it exists! I am relatively new to gardening, and just acquuired a 7-8 foot-tall ponytail palm (aka: Nolina recurvata). My mom actually bought this when she was in college about 35 years ago. It is a really cool plant, but is kind of crazy. It has 5 or 6 different heads, and leaves from the top to the floor. I will try to upload a picture if I can ever figure it out (any help there would also be great)!

My questions are as follows:

1 - Does cutting the heads off hurt the plant?

2 - Can I cut off two of the newer heads and re-pot them to make them grow?

3 - How do I get it to bascially stop growing? It took everything my husband and I had to get it into the house after moving it. I have read in other posts something about trimming the roots. Does this stall growth?

4 - One little (5 inches or so) segment of one branch is kind of soft and wrinkly. Can this be remedied? Also, the leaves on this branch are still green, but they are a little lighter colored than the rest of the plant.

I would appreciate any help I can get on this! Also, seriously, if someone could help me with posting a picture, I can show you what I am talking about... this thing is huge!

Comments (4)