thanks Annie! You saved the day

rob333 (zone 7a)

I'm going to visit my junior at University for their birthday, and this lego-loving child asked for some "spicy cookies like ginger snaps".

I've been saving it, but it's time. I'm taking your molasses cookies with double the crystallized ginger (from a place you showed me in Chicago). There might be a couple of cookies missing from the batch by the time I get there ;)

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5332732/ginger-cookies

SaveComment16Like5
Comments (16)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seagrass_gw

Annie sent me a care box that included those cookies and they're irresistible, even for me with no sweet tooth. She is a gem.

Save    
foodonastump

Love them, haven’t made them in a while, perfect season for it. Thanks for the reminder!

Save    
sushipup1

So where do you get the crystallized ginger?

Save    
Save    
foodonastump

That should be a standard supermarket item. Just note that the packaging will affect the price. You may pay ten times as much in a spice jar than in a deli cup.

Save    
annie1992

Ah, but FOAS, they don't all taste the same. My grandson likes to snack on the stuff and he want's the Penzey's variety, not Trader Joe's. He says the pieces are smaller and that Penzey's has more sugar. I've gotten some larger pieces at the Mediterranean Market, and chopped them up, not as convenient as the little cubes but OK by me. Maybe I could dust the cheaper stuff with more sugar...

Rob, I'm glad you made those, finally, and that you got to use that ginger, our trip to Chicago was a couple of years ago.

I hope the (now very big) boy likes them as much as we do here. Grandma would be pleased.

Annie

Save    
foodonastump

I really miss having a Penzey’s close. :(

Save    
annie1992

I miss having anything close, LOL. Elery and I used to make regular runs to Grand Rapids for Trader Joe's or Costco or Fresh Thyme. Now we hesitate to leave our relatively safe middle-of-nowhere home and drive to a place that has a couple hundred thousand people. (sigh)

Annie

2 Likes Save    
Lars

Martha Stewart makes her own crystallized ginger, but I have not done that yet, although I do have ginger growing in my yard that is ready to harvest. Normally, I buy ginger root at one of the local Japanese markets, as it is cheapest there. I freeze it if I I buy too much.

1 Like Save    
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

I have made crystallized ginger several times using Alton Browns recipe and was really happy how it turned out.

Save    
dallasannie

lars, please explain about how you freeze fresh ginger. I love to have it around but it does'nt get all used before it shrivels up.

"Splain yourself, Lucy!".

Really, what is your process to prepare it?

Will have to try crystalizing it, too.

1 Like Save    
annie1992

dallasannie, I just put a piece of ginger root in a ziplock bag and toss it in the freezer. When I want fresh ginger I pull it out of the freezer, grate what I need and put the rest back.

Lars, do you do the same thing?

Annie

Save    
Lars

Yes, but I put it in a Foodsaver bag and vacuum seal it to freeze it. It will probably be just as good in a Ziploc bag.

One advantage (for me) about freezing it is that it is easier to grate this way, but you might want to peel it before freezing, so that you won't have to do that later.

You can also make ginger paste and freeze that, which is even easier to use, but there is the process of making it beforehand. I've not done this yet, but I think I will give it a try when I have a lot of ginger.

Save    
party_music50

They look fantastic! Annie, have you tried making these with gluten-free flour?

Save    
annie1992

PM, I haven't tried to make these gluten free.....yet. They are one of Amanda's favorites, so I'm thinking maybe half a batch at Christmas, just to see how they are.

Annie

Save    
l pinkmountain

Gotta restock my crystalized ginger today as a matter of fact. I should make my own from scratch, but I never have gotten around to it . . . It's a marvelous cooking product. I use mine in cakes, cookies and hot mulled wine and cider. Ginger has many health benefits. Cookies are my faves.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Design Pop These Pets Saved the Day, or Save Every Day, at Home
Before American Humane gives out its Hero Dog Awards on Sept. 29, we celebrate readers’ pets who’ve helped their humans
Full Story
Kitchen of the Week Kitchen of the Week: Open and Gray Save the Day
A workhorse island replaces an awkward storage tower, and a neutral palette brings a balance of cool and warm tones
Full Story
Room of the Day Room of the Day: White Paint and Gold Polka Dots Save a Rental Bedroom
A few low-cost design moves transform a tiny bedroom with an awkward ceiling into an enticing space for rest
Full Story