Got a special delivery!

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

I posted this once and I don't know what happened to it!
Anyway, our local farm market opened this summer and because I do believe in supporting local when I can I have been buying produce from them. Right now I can't get out and do things but I really wanted some fresh goodies. I contacted the farm owner and she came out and delivered my order and did not charge me a penny for the delivery. So yes, by all means support your local businesses. It can make a difference in everyone's lives.

SaveComment10Like4
Comments (10)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Here is a picture of my order. Look at those beautiful beans!

1 Like Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

I'm not surprised. We have good people in our communities. Our local CSA opened their doors to non-subscribers. Via an on-line list of of available produce to order a-la-cart. Volunteers helped create extra crop rows. (they get points for boxes they don't have to pay for).

Congrats! Beans look so good. Nice to hear good deeds that are so appreciated. We had spaghetti squash last night.

1 Like Save     Thanked by ediej1209 AL Zn 7
morz8

That's wonderful. And how nice to have a more personal connection with someone whose food you eat. The beans look great. Has this been a good year for them? I've begun sauteing raw beans for something different and surprise! DH is enjoying them, happily eating them.

OT, but I've been buying produce at Chucks Produce and Market in Vancouver on the days we have window visits with my mother. The difference is remarkable. Our last two trips, she has needed some things they wouldn't have carried and to limit our inside-store trips, we've stopped at only Fred Meyer. Sigh. Disappointing fruits and vegetables at least by comparison.

annie1992

That produce looks delicious, edie, and a big thanks to your local farmer.

Here we have a farm that will deliver meat, freshly ground flours, eggs, honey. You just get on line, order what you want, you get a discount if you pick up, and pay a small fee if they deliver.

I have spaghetti squash to use too, but the variety I grew is HUGE.

Annie

dallasannie

For decades I have been going out to a farm to buy fresh produce. They run a nice little outlet for the produce that is grown right there.

They supplement with a few locally produced items, but mostly sell what is grown right there in the fields that you can see behind the open walled store.

They used to sell things that come from a local dairy but not this year, You know, it being 2020 and all that, right?

They do sell eggs from their farm and they sell some flowers that you can pick. But no flowers this years, again, it being THIS year from hell.

The variety is limited, but we take full advantage and enjoy the same thing over and over, day in and day out, while it is in season. They start in the early summer with the cooler greens, go into the hot weather squash and peppers, and then back to the cooler weather things before they close right about the end of November.

I try to give my business to the local ones when I can.

cloudy_christine

I'm very grateful for the helpful people at the farmer's market. I call the produce stand, tell them what I want. They ring it up, call me back, and take the card number over the phone. When I get there I call again and they bring it out and put it in the trunk. Same for my favorite poultry stand and the Italian deli stand. I know this is not true everywhere, and I appreciate their cheerful willingness to help.

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

I just heard from the farm owner. I am so excited... They have peaches-&-cream corn ready for picking today. DH is going over this afternoon. Imagine - fresh sweet corn in October. Boggles the mind!!

Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Same here cloudy and edie. Our favorite farm stand is all outdoors so it is very safe. But if anyone wants to call ahead, they have a drive up table with brown bags and names on them. We just pick up a bakers dozen of corn picked that am. A few times now. They still have corn!

annie1992

Edie, we were still having fresh corn here in Michigan last week, I think last night's freeze brought that to an end. Mine was all gone back in August, we ate it and froze it, and I didn't plant a second/later planting. Enjoy yours!

Annie

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

I can only process a bit at a time so hopefully later in the week we'll get more to freeze.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Exteriors Special Delivery: Keeping Your Packages Safe
Online sales are up, and so is the number of boxes delivered to homes. Here’s how to keep them beyond the grasp of porch pirates
Full Story
Entertaining Got Hand-Me-Down Dinnerware? Make a Memorable Meal
They might be mismatched and not your style, but those inherited plates and forks can help bring meaning to your table
Full Story