SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
a1an

Should I replace this Wolf lemon

a1an
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Not sure where to start......so here goes.

Wolf DF range coming up on 12 years.

For the 1st 6 years, I paid ZERO out of pocket fees on any repair as I did have a extended warranty....

All Warranty was done by Wolfs/SZ factory tech

Once out of warranty, I have done all the repair work myself.

Seems like every 24 months, I spend about $300+ on the repair work. Today would be the 3rd time I've ordered parts to overhaul my unit. Parts are MAP *MSRP* locked and are just obnoxiously priced for what the part is....even called SZ today asking for some -relief-, can you connect with the local authorized dealer and LMK and could I buy these parts at a qty of dozen or the like for some better discounting....

The root cause is their gaskets/orings on the burner assembly justs -dry rots-. It's as if the part is not designed for heat.

You can't just replace one gasket, as replacing one gasket breaks every single gasket on every other burner so you end up needing to replace ALL of them. The tech guys on the phone@ wolf are just astonished that when I call in, asking what's the PN for this, etc, that a -mechanically capable- person is DIY this. When I do the repair, I go all -in- replace all the spark modules/ignitors as well. Why on those 2 parts ----well, if they ever fail as well, you end up breaking all seals to replace it, so it's a penny wise pound foolish decision for me to spend the spend and do a overhaul vs just a -gasket repair-.

Coming her to the GW forum asking for some POV. Should I stop putting $$$$ into this lemon and move on with a new stove. Stove works great....until the gaskets dry rot.

---as a further detail as part of my repairs, I have even replaced the top once, and even have replaced 2 burners figuring maybe a -warped- burner would be causing the issue I am seeing so consistently--

----I know this is a design defect as my newer DF in another house has not had the issues I describe.--

Comments (3)