SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_331064730

Need help decorating house (starting with dining room)

AJ
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi all,

I am closing on my first house, and am looking for decor ideas. After browsing through tons of interior design resources over the past few weeks, I think I like a mixture of modern with antique-style pieces (I've been most drawn towards eclectic homes). It's a bit overwhelming trying to fill an entire house, so I was planning to start with the dining room (since I might buy a consigned table soon), but I'm definitely happy to get ideas for anything!

Before I get to the dining table, I want to give an idea of the room first. I'd love to just post pictures of the empty space, but I don't have any photos without the seller's personal belongings, so I'll try to describe it instead. It's a bit of a read, but please bear with me...

Edit: I tried to block out their decor, but here's a general idea of the view from the kitchen (my apologies for the poor quality photo):

The dining room measures approx. 154"x214" and is connected to the kitchen, separated by a half-wall and a step-down. The opposite wall has a beige stone fireplace, with white built-in cabinets and shelving on each side. The length of the room has vertical beige shiplap on one wall, and an open doorway along the other wall, which connects to the living room. All walls throughout the house are the same beige color as the shiplap.

Since the dining room joins two other rooms, I'll briefly explain those as well:

• Kitchen: Beige stone-looking tile floor (similar to the fireplace), beige walls, white cabinets, and beige tile countertops/backsplash. There are big cutouts in the wall which allow you to see into the family room, so the kitchen gets a lot of light.
  • Family Room: ~550 sqft of open space, with tall glass windows/doors throughout. There is a bit of wall space between each window/door, which is that same beige color again.

As you can tell, lots of beige! The kitchen/fireplace stone seem a bit on the greyer side, while the walls and kitchen counter are a lighter shade (depending on the lighting, they pull yellowy or pinky in pictures). Also, I intend to remodel the kitchen eventually, and am open to repainting the walls, but one step at a time... :-)

As for flooring, after researching for weeks and reading everyone's experience here, I'm planning to install Indusparquet Brazilian Teak throughout, only leaving the kitchen tile (due to remodel plans). The floor would look like this (I think it's a bit darker and has a glossier finish in person):

Indusparquet Exotic Hardwood Floors, NJ New Jersey, NYC New York City · More Info

Now, finally to the table and decor! I am looking at this table:

But I have no idea how to decorate to make it a bit more "modern". I'm thinking of putting an area rug (cream with subtle pattern? colorful with loud pattern? Idk!) and some taller plants, but am otherwise at a loss. I don't know what type of rug would go with the floor/table/wall colors, if a buffet should match the table, and if the table even matches the house at all. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

If you'd like to get a feeling for the rest of the house, please do let me know.

Thanks!

Comments (10)