SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eirlim

Has anyone tried lightening SW Alabaster?

eirlim
3 years ago

I'm in the process of painting the inside of my house and I chose Alabaster for the soft and warm look of the color. The color looks so pretty and perfect on the walls of the first floor - a giant open plan that has tons of north facing windows and some west facing windows which gives the space a glow of yellow afternoon sun but generally a subdued air due to the cool non-direct light from the north side.

Hoping to achieve the same, I painted a swatch of it in the master bathroom which also faces north, but because it's covered in tan colored tiles, the reflected light really warms up the color; it reads too yellow, almost lemony. I tried a swatch of Pure White next to it, and was disappointed to see that it reads way too white in the warm colored space. I think Alabaster lightened just a tad would be perfect for the bathroom, but when I asked the clerk at the local Sherwin Williams store, they told me that it's already such a light color that it can't be lightened. I understand that it's not always an easy matter of adding white or cutting the formula, but I didn't think it was impossible to try...

Has anyone tried lightening Alabaster at their local store or done it themselves by adding white? Unless I can find a different Sherwin Williams employee to do it for me, I think I might try and lighten it myself as I can't seem to find a color that's just slightly less saturated than Alabaster...Please share your thoughts!

Comments (19)