SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cercis47

Opinions on Silver Granite vs Butcher Block for Island

cercis47
3 years ago

Our house is a 1912 farmhouse. We have a small kitchen that was last remodeled in 1995. White Shaker cupboards, maple floor, stainless steel frig and dishwasher, vintage 1950s white Monarch range, white enameled cast iron sinks (1 small sink in the island and a large sink dividing counters). North light..

We now have a 69 inch maple butcherblock island with small sink on one end. We want to keep the 2 sinks. We want to use Silver Pearl leathered granite on our counters but I am thinking I would like to keep the burcherblock and just replace the sink and existing fixtures.It is a food prep working area with the scars to prove it: Cutting, washing and prepping vegies, baking, etc.

So after all that background, I am wondering if anyone has used the leathered granite for a main food prep area. Is it easy to use, need special care for rolling out dough, etc. If we keep the burcherblock we will have to solve the problem of wood/water which has deteriorated the sink area after 25 years.

My goal is to make the new kitchen as easy to care for as possible while keeping the vibe of a 1912 house.

Comments (17)