SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_322682055

Is it possible to match/coordinate hardwood floors to LVP?

Tori Lombardi
3 years ago

I’m having a real dilemma here and after hours

of googling I still don’t know what to do - any advice is welcome!

My husband and I are first time home owners; we purchased a charming cape cod that needs some updating (my husband is a contractor by trade so we are comfortable with the majority of the work). I pulled up several layers of plywood and vinyl flooring in the dining room and kitchen, revealing original hardwood in the dining room and subfloor in the kitchen. The original hardwood runs throughout the entire first floor (minus the kitchen) and is in decent condition, but could use a refinishing - which we planned on doing next year anyway.

Here is where it gets tricky. I wanted to put tile down in the kitchen, but my husband didn’t want to deal with the expense and hassle. Not only that, but he insisted that we had to put *something* down in the kitchen ASAP because he couldn’t stand looking at the unfinished subfloor. This led to him going to Home Depot and getting whatever they had in stock - a medium brown LVP flooring - and laying it on the same day. This LVP floor clashes HORRIBLY with the original hardwood in the dining room!!! I suggested to my husband that we move up the timeline on

refinishing the floors and try to match the new stain to the LVP, but he says this is impossible and will look like we tried and failed to match. Husband suggests bringing the LVP through the dining room, which I don’t want to do because 1) I worked so hard to uncover the hardwood that I want to enjoy it (lol) and 2) the LVP in the dining room will then just clash with the hardwood in the living room at the archway where the two rooms meet.

I will try to attach pictures showing various floor colors and room layout for clarity. Has anyone here had success with staining hardwood to match vinyl flooring? What about staining it to “coordinate” instead of trying to match exactly (if that’s even possible)? Honestly, I’d like to tell my husband to rip up the LVP and put down tile like I wanted, but that will go over like a lead balloon ... happy spouse, happy house right?

I am open to any and all suggestions!

Note: 1st pic shows kitchen, with a sliver of dining room floor visible at the bottom (partially finished - the unfinished portion is from an island that was originally installed in the kitchen when the house was first built).

2nd pic shows a closeup of LVP next to unstained original, which I thought we could stain to match.

3rd pic shows entryway from living room into dining room, which I think would clash if we used the same LVP through the dining room (per husband’s suggestion).

Comments (8)