What Are You Planning or Hoping to Fix For The Weekend?

Marilyn_Sue

I have chili soup cooking, not chili, chili soup. I hope to make a peach cobbler sometime this weekend also. I don't usually make cornbread to have with my soup, but I might just to have it to eat on from time to time. Are you cooking or planning to cook something this weekend?

Sue

SaveComment38Like1
Comments (38)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
satine100

It is going to be cool this weekend with a high of 66 so I think I'll use the oven a bit. I may do a pot roast and maybe some soup.

Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)

I want to try to cook something in the Instapot my son and daughter-in-law just gave me. Not sure what to pick.

maire_cate

It's in the oven now and smells great - an old fashioned ham with a brown sugar glaze, sweet potatoes, and petite string beans.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
hallngarden

Fried shrimp, fish, scallops and all the trimmings. Rare, we eat fried.. Have been craving fried shrimp. Decided to have ourselves a seafood fest. Walked down to meet some of boats coming in, so very fresh.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan

I'll be making venison chili and cornbread for my family tomorrow, along with a pan of English toffee for dessert.

sephia_wa

Marilyn_Sue, what is chili soup if it's not chili? I've not heard of chili soup.

fawnridge (Ricky)

We're experimenting with a new cookie - Key Lime Zingers. Made with real key limes, key lime juice, and coated with crushed graham cracker.

stacey_mb

We're celebrating the weekend early and having takeout for dinner - crispy chicken wraps.

socks

I made chicken tortilla soup.

schoolhouse_gwagain

I made a big pot of vegetable soup yesterday. I'll eating that for awhile.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

A birthday cake for my brother. Probably pineapple upside down cake, one of his favorites.

Elizabeth

Fresh caught walleye and a rice side dish of some type. A salad with our garden tomatoes.

rob333 (zone 7a)

Some made already, some not: chicken tortilla soup, chicken enchiladas, cilantro lime rice, Mexican street corn salad. It's for tomorrow. A Spanish malbec. Mexican dessert will be supplied. Company!

booberry85

Hoping to get some pies (apple & peach) made and in the freezer this weekend. Whatever peaches I don't use in pie(s) will be made into jam or rum sauce & canned. I'm also planning on making a batch of meatballs and getting them in the freezer.

georgysmom2

I'm not planning on doing too much cooking this weekend. I've been cooking and baking all week. I made a dozen twice-baked potatoes and froze them, Laura Bush's cowboy cookies, snickerdoodle donut muffins, lemon-cherry scones, pumpkin scones with with cranberry butter, and am going to make an apple cake and gluten-free peanut butter cookies tonight. I'm spending the weekend cleaning. DH's cousin is coming to visit on Monday and will have dinner with us. He leaves in the morning, heading for Florida. On Wednesday my Book Exchange group is meeting outside for a socially-distanced get together. Hence all the baking and pre-cooking.

Elmer J Fudd

rob, Malbec isn't that common in Spain. Argentina or Chile maybe or if Spain, a different grape?

I missed the mussels yesterday so I'm available to stop by to see you tomorrow. I can bring some beer.

rob333 (zone 7a)

I've not had it (prefer brut and sparkling) but it was highly rated. Spoke to me. You'll have to fight another Kitchen Table folk for it, but c'mon by! I think she could could also bring enough intellectual discourse for we two. And it's gonna be perfect weather! We'll let you know

nicole___

2-nite I made tacos. Maybe a home made pizza tomorrow. Chocolate chip cookies sound good.

glenda_al

Son has been spear fishing and shared couple nice amberjack filets. I'm going to cook them in lemon butter with thyme, have kale salad, and fresh corn on the cob, Sunday.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I have some frozen speckled butter beans and some ham that I plan on making I think I have some meaty ham hocks in the freezer to add to the pot of beans. I haven't used the slow cooker in a while I might use it.

We have another hurricane, Beta, right now in the gulf near Houston and it's supposed to be a rain event and a possibility of flooding. So many disturbances this season.

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Tomorrow, probably steak on the grill with a zucchini/yellow squash foil pack on the side. Dinner Sunday with my son's family :-)

happy2b…gw

My daughter brought over more garden tomatoes. I will roast them with garlic, olive oil, fresh basil and oregano, whir them very briefly in the blender, and freeze the sauce. That is the plan, but I suspect the roasted tomatoes will be eaten as soon as they come out of the oven.

nancyjane_gardener

Pizza tonight (Friday, no cook day). Stuffed portabellas tomorrow, then some chicken enchiladas (will add these to the frozen meals for the new moms to twins in a couple of weeks!)

colleenoz

Today is chicken and vegetable soup with cheese scones for lunch, and beef curry for dinner. Tomorrow I’m making Swiss chard and cheese tart for lunch, and dinner will be chicken breasts stuffed with Camembert with pesto cream sauce. I’ll also be baking wholemeal bread, an old fashioned lemon and caraway seed cake and some herb scones- I’ll take the cake and herb scones to work Monday.

Save    
Marilyn_Sue

sephia, chili soup is similar to chili but it is thinner like a soup. you use tomato juice or a vegetable juice like V 8 in it, diced tomatoes, hamburger, red beans, onions, maybe peppers sweet or hot, I use sweet, seasoned with chili powder and when near being done add cooked macaroni. Not enough to make it too thick, unless you want it that way. Of course there are many variations of it, different meat, different beans and so forth. But basically the same. It can be served many ways, mostly with saltines, but you can also have your corn chips, cornbread, or whatever you like. Many times it is served with a peanut butter sandwich and a glass of milk. Some may top it with chopped onions and or sour cream. It is a soup made how you like it. Many places such as churches in this area will have Chili Suppers for fund raisers but it is really chili soup.

Sue

Save    
dallasannie

I have some ham hocks from the local Amish market and some fresh collards from the local farm. Looks like collard greens, ham hocks and a skillet of cornbread to sop up the "pot liquor" of the greens and hocks.

Also need to bake some bread just for eating and I have some beautiful eggplants from the farm that I will bread as cutlets and put aside for later in the week, and I have a huge box of red bell peppers to roast. I also bought some Roma green beans that I will go ahead and cook while they are fresh and they will be ready for meals in coming days.

It is highs in the 60s here today and it really feels like Fall. The local farm has gone from a focus on melons and corn to having the greens and the winter squash.

Also bought a nice fresh. head of broccoli from the farm.

Gonna put on my apron and get to work real soon. Fresh produce waits for no one! If is best to do something with it while it is fresh.

I usually will precook things like beans and greens and broccoli because it will keep better and longer over the days. If left raw it will just rot. All it takes is a short trip through a hot pot to stop that inevitable decomposition. Plus they are ready to use when you are ready for them. I do this all winter with carrots. It just makes it so much easier to have them all prepared to use when needed. I prepare them a couple of different ways.

No need to buy winter carrots yet, though. That will be about November after the local farm closes up. Until then there will still be a few cool weather things available. I will buy them up until the day that the farm closes for the year.

l pinkmountain

I am pretty much all tomatoes all the time, until a hard frost tells me otherwise. We had a warning last night but I covered my tomato bed. I'm not going to extremes but I am willing to cover if it is just a one night anomaly. I think next week will be my last. Gonna try making some tomato sauce for canning, which I rarely do, and then probably some green tomato sauce and salsa and call it a day . . .

Kathsgrdn

I bought things to make chicken soft tacos so will eat a few of those this weekend and maybe tomorrow make some white chicken chili with the leftover chicken.

donna_in_sask

Making Korean fried chicken for supper tonight so I have the chicken marinating in the fridge. Also impulsively bought about forty pounds of bartlett pears for 25 cents a pound a couple days ago and it looks like canned pears are in my immediate future. ;)

donna_loomis

I made pumpkin pull apart rolls for breakfast. I have a peach cobbler in the oven now. Egg roll in a bowl is my plan for dinner tonight. And stuffed pepper casserole for dinner tomorrow. And I plan on making a batch of sugarless cream cheese frosting for DH because, well, just because. He likes to put it on lots of things.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX

The speckled butter beans are cooking. I added diced ham and some diced tasso along with onions. It is smelling very good.

Judy Good

Steaks on the grill tomorrow with redskin potatoes roasted in oven. cucumber tomato onion salad. AND..... kick butt Brownies just got out of the oven. Will be frosting them later. Kids will be here.

sealavender

Tonight -- sausage and peppers with some of the basil crop I have going. I got a great deal on chicken drumsticks today, so for tomorrow night, they will be marinated in lime juice and garlic and grilled.

bengardening

I made a sour cream raisin pie today. It was really good/

dallasannie

raven, you must be somewhere around southern Louisiana to be using Tasso.

I wonder why Tasso is not sold outside of that part of the country.

LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

My brother was visiting with his wife over the weekend on their way south. Yesterday, I fired up the smoker and did baby back ribs, a whole chicken, sausage, and pork belly burnt ends. The burnt ends were to die for and if you eat more than a few you may in fact die of a heart attack!

tvq1

Yesterday I made a big pot of mushroom barley soup. It's delicious, but I mistakenly used hulled barley instead of pearl barley, so it doesn't have that silky broth texture that I was so looking forward to. The hulled barley is quite chewy! I'm consoling myself with the knowledge that hulled barley is a healthier grain than pearl barley. So, we now have 9 meals of very chewy, healthy mushroom barley soup in the freezer.

Cloud Swift

It was Rosh HaShanah and I was too busy cooking to reply to this thread earlier. My vegetarian son's family came up for a holiday dinner Saturday night. I made a Moroccan butternut squash soup, carrot salad, beet salad, cucumber and tomato salad, an apple and raisin noodle kugel, a Sephardic leek, zucchini and potato casserole (kind of like a crustless quiche).

My husband made round braided challahs - I think the braided ones taste better than the spiral ones.

Dessert was carrot cake and mini-honey cakes.

With all the prep for Saturday night, we wanted something simple but still holiday for Friday night so I made stake, roasted potato and sweet potato "fries," and steamed fioretto cauliflower. We had some of the mini-honey cakes for dessert.

The mini-honey cakes were a new recipe. Honey cake is traditional for the holiday, but I don't like the slightly burnt taste most honey cakes have. These were more of a cake-y cookie/biscuit which is soaked in a spiced honey syrup after baking - very good. The spiced honey was so good (cinnamon, vanilla and lemon juice and zest), that I also made some extra to use with our challah and apples instead of plain honey.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Entertaining Summer Living: How to Welcome Weekend Guests
Thoughtful touches and smart planning make summer visitors feel right at home
Full Story
Most Popular 10 Steps to a Happier Weekend
Savor your precious days off while still checking off to-do’s by following this simple plan
Full Story
Life Go Antiquing! And 6 More Things to Do This Weekend
It’s time to get your flower or vegetable seeds going, plan fresh spring meals and hit the antiques fairs
Full Story
I established Bronson Home Improvements, LLC, in May of 2001. Since, I've enjoyed the privilege of working with a... Read More
The Mission of USA Cabinet Store and Design Center is to provide the best customer service, the highest quality... Read More