SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
party_music50

Kartoffelkloesse?

party_music50
3 years ago

Does anyone have a good/authentic recipe for "the baseball size kartoffelkloesse" you'd get in Germany?

Comments (11)

• foodonastump
    3 years ago

Mix two cups of milk with contents of one package, let sit ten minutes, form and boil.

Just kidding, sorta. I like them lighter, which is why I do make them from the box. Hope you get some responses. In the meantime...

BUMP!

party_music50 thanked foodonastump
  • nancyofnc
    3 years ago

To keep everyone else from looking it up - they're German Potato Dumplings.

party_music50 thanked nancyofnc
  • party_music50 thanked Islay Corbel
  • party_music50
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Ha! Thanks for the bump FOAS. :) The recipe search was spawned by my BF and his brother, who are known to break out in German beer-drinking song together. :O) My BF wants to cook something for them and one thing led to another... And I’m Polish so Kartofel is potato to me, and no translation seemed necessary, nancyofnc . Lol!

IC, thank you; that recipe may be the trick to getting the right texture because it’s the only one I’ve seen that uses all cornstarch! I’ll bet it would make them lighter, FOAS.

My BF just tried the recipe from food.com and only commented that it was close. I’m sure he’ll try this recipe soon because he’s been in the mood for cooking lately.

ETA Thanks, Lars! I know he added croutons to his recent batch and using them does make a huge difference.

• party_music50
    Original Author
    3 years ago

FOAS, I just remembered getting a box of this stuff from my sister, via a Polish market, many years ago... once the dough was mixed, you put the balls in little sacks for boiling. Does your box mix do that?

• foodonastump
    3 years ago

Nope no bags. I use Panni brand. As I recall a similar conversation came up a few years back (maybe I even started it, LOL) and others said they use the box so I felt better. Truth be told I get inspired to try them from scratch again every blue moon, but then never get around to actually doing it. Oktober is coming fast though so there’ll be an excuse!

Yes, buttered, toasted croutons are NOT optional around here; the best part!

• foodonastump
    3 years ago

Found the thread. I guess it’s not a topic that gets a lot of traction! ;)

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/2345670/potato-dumpling-recipe#n=1

• party_music50
    Original Author
    3 years ago

wow, you're right. lol! First, I'm going to balk at the buttermilk in sauerbraten! That cannot possibly be right. :p

Re the potato dumplings, I watched my BF make them the other day and didn't say a word, but I noticed he spent a lot of time mashing and packing and working the potatoes. They were not light and fluffy. lol! I'm betting that the less they're handled the lighter they'll be.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    3 years ago

I don't make the potato dumplings, but I do have a good hint if you do from scratch. Cook the potatoes in their skins, like the recipe I just read above said. It WILL make a difference.

I have made Southern Potato salad all my life, no recipe. For some reason I decided to try the one in the BH&G cookbook. It said to cook the potatoes in their skins, cool, and then chop. I had always peeled, chopped, then cooked in water.

The ones cooked whole in their skins make much better potato salad! They are starchier?, stickier?, something! I have tried it back and forth both ways, and it is always better to cook, then peel and chop. I would think that it would work the same for the potato dumplings.

party_music50 thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • party_music50
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I agree! but BF did as the recipe said and cooked the potatoes in their skins well ahead so they’d have time to cool. He doesn’t have a ricer, and I think he overworked them with mashing and kneading. :p