SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaykaym

bar stool characteristics - swivel? adjustable height? arms?

Jaykaym
3 years ago

One of the last things I need to complete my kitchen remodel is to purchase bar stools for my peninsula bar. The bar is 43 1/4 inches floor to top. Yes, I know it is too tall but there were over-riding reasons that it is that height so I'm trying to keep it useful with the right bar stools. It will not be used for meals except the occasional breakfast or lunch and we have no resident children. My current bar stools are a simple plain round wood top - no swivel, no arms, no padding - and are only 29 1/4 inches tall. We clearly feel like elves trying to perch on them at the bar. I'm thinking that i need something with a seat height 32-33 inches from the floor and has a good foot rest so that I can haul myself up into them. Where I'm less certain is whether I need it to swivel or to have arms and a back rest. I never sit back in them but do other people like back rests? And do arms just get in the way of getting into the chair or do they help? And the swivel? Oh, and what about upholstered vs not? As this will probably be an on-line purchase and I'll not have a chance to try before I buy, you can see I need help. All ideas gratefully accepted (except any to lower the bar height).

Comments (8)