SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

I'll show you mine/you show me yours - W 9/16

Annie Deighnaugh
3 years ago

This week we'll do one of the oldest things in your home, and then one of the newest. Then something you love in your house, something you dislike and finally, if you dare, show me something guests never see in your house such as inside a closet, the fridge, the basement, a drawer, etc.

So today, show me something you love in your home.

-------------------------

Please post one's own photos, not pictures or memes pulled off the internet, facebook, twitter, etc.

Give credit where credit is due.

See guidelines here

Comments (32)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This Man Who Flies by Andrew De Vries.

He was the artist in residence at Chesterwood, and had his sculptures on display. I saw this one and immediately fell in love with it. But it was $$$. So I walked away, came back to it, walked away, and came back to it. He saw me and said, "You have a problem don't you." I said, "Yes I do." He said, "You're in love." I said, "Yes I am." He said, "You're going to buy this." And I said, "Yes I am." And I did. It holds a prominent place in my foyer, and it's my very favorite thing in the house to dust.

If you want to see more of his work: https://andrewdevries.com/

• maire_cate
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Annie that is a beautiful piece and can see why it called out to you at the gallery.

Our fireplace is my favorite. We ripped out the existing pre-fab unit and added this one when we moved here. It's PA bluestone and the stonemason spent several days chipping and fitting each stone in the surround. We found the wood for the mantel at a salvage yard that specializes in wood from old factories in Philly. There are still burn marks on the end from the fire that destroyed the warehouse. I have no idea why I didn't think to take a photo when there was a fire but I loved this picture with my old holiday decorations. Oh we also added the 2 windows.

• Related Discussions

I'll Show You Mine/You Show Me Yours - Su 9/16

Q

Comments (20)
    1 photo in RAW format (best normal quality, not normally used by other than serious amateurs) = 25 MB (megabytes). 1000 of these would be 25 GB. (gigabytes). A 256 GB thumb drive (that would therefore hold 10,000 photo files in RAW format) can be found for $50 or less. A 500 GB USB external drive, that would hold maybe 20,000 photos in RAW format, about the same amount. If your photos are in jpg (compressed, lossy) format, they're maybe 5 MB. You could put 50,000 on a 256 GB thumb drive. SD cards are a bit more expensive but not much. I just bought a couple of 256 GB SD cards for about $40 each.. Any major brand, Sandisk, PNY, Patriot for thumb drives or SD cards, WD or Seagate or Toshiba for hard drives, would be fine. In fact, $50 should buy you a 1 TB (terabyte, 1000 GB) external drive, so take the numbers for 256 and multiply by 4 for capacity.
    ...See More

I'll show you mine/you show me yours - W 1/6

Q

Comments (25)
    That facility is on a private island in the south Pacific. I went ashore and took lots of photos. It is not often that one sees something like that anymore. Look at the first photo, one can see that it is not fancy; the second photo shows how primitive life is on that island. I did not see a TP dispenser, nor did I see any TP! When I saw the subject of today's thread, I just knew what I was going to post.
    ...See More

I'll show you mine/you show me yours - W 11/16/22

Q

Comments (13)
    after being sorely neglected for 2 years, one of my past rescues finally mastering the "dane sit".
    ...See More

I'll show you mine/you show me yours - W 8/16/23

Q

Comments (19)
    Part of our area’s wild horse herds grazing in my back ”yard”.
    ...See More
  • nhbaskets
    3 years ago

While I love my entire kitchen, the island is my favorite part. Love the color, size, drawers, cabinets and SW stone.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    3 years ago

maire, I love the use of native stone and the tight fit of the stones.

nhbaskets, that is a beautiful island in a lovely kitchen

• lgmd_gaz
    3 years ago

Hard to choose among the many, many things I have chosen over the years to decorate my home and my life.

This little wood box is a favorite. Bought it on a motorcycle trip somewhere in Arizona about 25 years ago. The small imperfections in the wood are filled with turquoise. It sits on the table by my chair in the tv/living room and holds 'essentials'.

Then there is this. Son-in-law gave it to me when my daughter, his wife, passed away 14 years ago. Taken a short time before she passed. She is smiling, walking off towards a path into the woods. He says she is saying, "I have to go now, but it is ok"

• donna_loomis
    3 years ago

• Okla Moni
    3 years ago

Bought this just for me.

• nicole___
    3 years ago

This painting. The manager of the store refused to sell it. She said she liked it and wanted to see it every day when she came to work. She said to me, "Don't feel bad your the 3rd person who's tried to buy it." I went over her head, called and spoke to her manager who said, "Of course it's for sale." Told my friend/neighbor about it, because it was such a ridiculous story. She went in and purchased it FOR ME. Surprised me with it when I got off work that day. ☺

• Lars
    3 years ago

Paintings that a friend of mine did in San Francisco, circa 1980.

• eld6161
    3 years ago

This little paper weight was given to my by my dad over 40 years ago.

It has always been displayed somewhere. In this house it’s on my desk in my home office.

I feel touched whenever I look at it.

• Ded tired
    3 years ago

I am going to cheat and post two. Please, no scoldings! I just can’t choose. This is a little sculpture my son made in school. It’s a surfer on a wave. I love it.

And this one is a Majolica pitcher that belonged to my grandmother. She was poor as a church mouse so I have no idea how she got it. My mom had it for years and I was fascinated by it as a kid. Now it’s mine.

• OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

The dresser I used growing up. Fits perfectly in one of our spare bedrooms.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

I must say, this is my favourite Freecycle find. A stereo cabinet that I have in the kitchen to store casserole and baking items. The drawers are solid wood that slide out, and the doors on the bottom have dividers that you'd store your records.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    3 years ago

Our paperweight collection. All done by a couple (now out of the business) in Kansas.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    3 years ago

Jasdip, what a smart idea to use a piece that way. It's great and I love your baking pieces!! I love kitchen stuff!!

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    3 years ago

I love seeing the doilies beneath your treasures! I love doilies and have a number of them. I think they appeal to me because most of them have belonged to someone else and sat under their treasures.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    3 years ago

I am doing more than one picture as well. The first one is the teapot my sister (now deceased) gave me years ago. I have a teapot collection and this is one of my very favorites. I found the cup and saucer and plate to match online. I love violets too.

Then two things I bought for myself are the set of Pyrex and the horse. In the Pyrex set is the little red bowl that my sister mentioned above gave me. It was the last standing piece of her set that had gotten broken over the years. The horse I got from a woman here in town and I love it. I love the style and the first time I noticed it was seeing a picture of Nicole's beautiful piece.

• nicole___
    3 years ago

OutsidePlaying....love seeing your bowfront vanity. I have one almost exact, bowed in the middle and the mirror is missing. I didn't know what the mirror had looked like. Now I see it, I can look for one in the thrift stores.

• Uptown Gal
    3 years ago

• jupidupi
    3 years ago

This doorstop belonged to my grandmother, who died when my dad was 12. Then my favorite aunt had it. I played with it as a child. If you look through it in one direction, everything is tilted up; in the other direction tilted down. Years ago, when my aunt died, it became mine. When we left our home for Covid sheltering, I brought it with me. I miss being home, but this makes me feel secure.

• bragu_DSM 5
    3 years ago

Got this from my aunt back in the 80s. It was one of my fave things every time I went to visit her ...

• nickel_kg
    3 years ago

Mementos of my 2 MILs. DH's mother collected the blue glassware, unfortunately she died not long after DH and I married so I don't know where, when, how she came by this piece. FIL remarried a wonderful woman, the pig platter was hers. On the back it says "Every path has its puddle". I like how serene the pig's expression is.

• OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

Nicole, yours is so pretty! I hope you find a mirror. I love how mine tilts. I always thought that was so cool. But I’ll bet there are other styles that are fixed that would work too.

• roy4me
    3 years ago

my true love of 58 years

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

Hurray for roy4me! I was wondering how long it would be before someone chose to share something other than a trinket or trivial material possession.

• nickel_kg
    3 years ago

You are welcome to share pictures too :-)

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

I may be in the witness protection program and under strict orders to protect my true identity. Or, I may be someone who's disinclined to share photos that are personal in any way. Or both. Or neither.

I enjoy posts done by you and most others, with the exception of those who seem prone to post the same photos over and over. and over again. Everyone knows who those people are, only a few in that category. Or, maybe just one.

Had I contributed something for this theme, it wouldn't have been a physical, tangible "possession".

• sealavender
    3 years ago

I can't post SO; he wouldn't want that. I have bored you all enough with pet pix. I couldn't decide on an object.

• yeonassky
    3 years ago

My beautiful much loved sister.

Sometimes an object brings forth the memories that connect you to your loved ones.

The repeat photos never bother me. I'm just happy that people have the time and are willing to contribute.

• nickel_kg
    3 years ago

yeonassky -- "liking" your pic as well as your comments :-)

elmer -- you could have shown us your vacuum or washer ;-) I'm saying that for fun, based on recent other threads! :-)

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

nickel, you've pushed me to the edge, along with your cohort Nicole.

I don't love these but I like them a lot. Our washer along with the German Persil we've used in it since Day One 20+ years ago, as per the manufacturer's recommendation. Cleaner wash results cannot be found and the combo is so gentle that our washed items last significantly longer than they used to. It runs off a 220 volt connection because it has an industrial strength water heater. The highest setting is 190, we rarely go above 140 (which we use for white towels) but we do sometimes. At the moment of the photo, it was doing a load of sheets at 120. Click to enlarge photo.

• nickel_kg
    3 years ago

It's nice to see it!