SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julie_huang59

high renovation costs - looking for advice

Julie H.
3 years ago

First time post

I am undergoing major renovations of a co-op pre-war apt in Harlem that was built in 1920s. It is a 3 bedroom apt with a living room, kitchen and bathroom. I want to fix the cracks on the walls, remove flooring and put in new tiles, install blinds for my windows, new cabinets, HVAC system, washer/dryer and light dimmers. Don't remember the last time this was renovated. I want to keep the architecture layout with high ceilings and designs on the walls.

Met with 2 contractors. They both told me I need to break down walls, ceilings and floors because the wood is molding and rotting away. In addition, the floors are uneven and some are sinking so would need major gutting/demo.

One quoted me $177k that included gutting out the floors/walls, placing new wood floors and cabinets and countertops. It includes a plumber. Everything else I pay.

Another quoted me $96k which includes gutting out the floors/walls, placing new wood floors and cabinets and countertops. In addition, it includes architect, plumber and kitchen designer. Everything else I pay.

I'm likely going to go with the $96k but does that seem still pricey? Is it possible to negotiate?

Thanks for the help!

Comments (16)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!