SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
portwest

Looking for high-efficiency Top Loader advice

portwest
13 years ago

I seem to have been struck with analysis-paralysis. I've been looking at replacing my washer and dryer for nearly two years (found my own posting about it here), but the laundry situation has become somewhat critical now.

I have read through so many postings here and elsewhere, as well as looking at consumer reports and talking to friends and neighbours. I simply can't decide.

I am getting older and I'm afraid I will end up with a machine that leaks all over, tears up my clothes or freezes with an electronic error and that I won't have the energy to fight back about it.

I want a top loader (to best fit the laundry room space), high-efficiency (to save water and energy), with direct gear drive (because, according to what I've read here, that is more reliable and easier to repair than belt drive). Ideally, I would like dial controls rather than an electronic circuit board, but I have only found one TL(he) machine that had that, and it was a belt drive (GE).

I was looking at some of the smaller capacity machines, but there are currently a few 5.0 cu ft machines on sale right now, so I am considering those.

There seems to be a lot of people here who really like GE Harmony TL, but I don't seem to be able to find them in Canada. I have looked at several GE Profile machines, but they are all belt-drive.

Currently, I'm looking at these Maytags, but am hoping someone might come along with a better suggestion:

Maytag Bravos (5.0 cu ft, direct gear drive) (MVWB850WQ )

Maytag Dryer (7.4 cu ft)

Maytag Bravos (5 cu ft, direct gear drive) (MVWB450WQ)

Maytag Bravos Dryer (7.3 cu ft) (YMEDB400VQ)

Any advice or suggestions? I could really use some help.

PW

Comments (30)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH