SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamadadapaige

HW floor installation cost ... seems very high

mamadadapaige
16 years ago

After spending countless hours shopping for the best price for oak flooring, I think it was all for nothing because the cost of installation is so high, I am going to have to go with an el-cheapo floor.

All I wanted was a look that was different from every other house you walk into... I wanted cherry but my husband, in-laws, the contractors and architects all said it would be too soft. So, I let it go and went along with what everyone else wanted which is White Oak.

I certainly think it is a nice wood for flooring, but want something a little more unique than your standard floor.

I shopped hard to get a price of $9/sf for a random width (3"-7"), long length Select quartersawn white oak floor from Carlisle. I got another quote (through the contractor) of $9/sf for Country Grade random width (4"-8"), long lengths rift and quartersawn White Oak. There was a third price from the contractor of $6 and change for 4" quartersawn white oak. Both the contractor quotes are for flooring coming from Graf Brothers out of Kentucky.

Our total allowance from the contractors is $11,120. We need (including extra for waste) 1000 sq. ft of flooring.

The contractor said if we went with the $9/sf random width floor the total cost would be $17,900... which means about $8000 for installation and finishing. He said the job would take 7-10 days including drying time.

If we went with the 4" floor the total cost would be $12,600.

It just seems like so much for installation for a week's work. Also, I am not sure why it costs so much extra for installing a random width floor.

Do you think there is a possibility that the guy doesn't know how to do it? Our contractors said they have never worked on a house where the homeowners chose to go with a random width floor, so it makes me wonder if the flooring contractor is up-charging for the mystique factor???

Please, does anyone have any advice?

It looks at this point that all of my hard work in searching out the best (and what I thought would be affordable) solution for our house was for nothing. It is just so frustrating.

By the way, we live north of Boston in Massachusetts.

Sorry so long. Please help!

Comments (19)