SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carrierebekah

large format shower tile, size and layout?

carrierebekah
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi everyone. We are retiling two showers the builder did horribly. We had already went with the included lowest level of tile option and planned to retile one day since we didn't like their options... it's just sooner rather than later. Also removing the cheap acrylic shower pan and adding a tile floor.

• We are wanting to try and stay with a shiny white or faux marbleporcelain for the walls and a faux marble porcelain herringbone for the floor and maybe a niche. We tried to find a larger scale faux marble tile but most are matte. So we thought what about just white larger scale tile and marble floor and niche accent? My husband is worried that it will be be too much white (we have SW Extra White walls). The model home did white subway tile and while beautiful it is a little clinical and wanted opinions on if super white bathrooms are still desirable beyond being "classic and safe".
    Here is the model:

here is our actual shower and the upstairs stall shower, 12x12 tile:

and dimensions:

Would you do larger format tile in the smaller shower? Or would that look weird/be harder to have the pattern line up nicely?

I've read most people like the tile to "fold" at the corners around the wall, picture two shows this a little. We plan to most likely do horizontal offset. Example of what we like are below, we just want ideas on how to layout the tile and if a certain size is 'too big' for either space.

• Final question is where would you stop the tile? It looks like my local frameless door places have a standard 74-76" door, higher would be extra money.
  • Where do you think the door should stop? As close to where the tile stops as possible or a few inches to save money won't look wonky? The ceiling is 10' downstairs in the big shower & 12' upstairs in the small one.
  • Both seem too high to go to the ceiling to us. Is the model a good guide for where to stop the frameless door? (We don't really trust the builders opinion at this point so would like yours)

Thanks

Comments (3)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH