SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amsophie

Help with furniture placement and decor in new rental home Melbourne

amsophie
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi there

I am moving to a new rental property - federation style house - in Melbourne bayside and looking for advice please on how to best design our open plan living, dining, kitchen space. We will shortly have 3 kids under 4. The kids will have the garden space and a separate toy area in another room. We won't put a TV in this open plan space but do like using a projector from time to time to watch netflix [projected on to wall]. I'll attach a floor plan with some photos and would love some help if anyone has some ideas please!

One big headache is that the whole area is carpeted (yes, carpeted) in new grey carpet. There is also this weird partition in the room creating an alcove.

I am thinking of getting two big jute/seagrass rugs to delineate the two spaces - living / dining. In dining area I am thinking of getting a rectangular table that seats 6 but can extend to seat 8. In living area looking at an L shaped sofa and one or two armchairs potentially. We love to have people over and it's great to be able to see kids in back garden from living area. I will cover the kitchen splashback in white removable tiles or similar.

In terms of style, I am a fan of Adairs, lots of plants, black/wooden bentwood chairs, some rustic elements - perhaps a rustic table, rattan, linen cushions, texture, neutral tones like greys, black, white with some pops of mustard, blush, earth tones in accessories.

Thank you everyone! <3

Comments (2)