SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shaggyfox44

Underpinning the basement for 1 bedroom

3 years ago

I want to finish my basement and add a bedroom with eagess window. The steps go down, into the house right in the middle of the basement which opens to the left and right.

The first floor's joists are 6 1/2 feet above the basement floor. the metal load bearing beam in the middle is 6 feet off the ground. Not gonna do much with that since its going through the middle of the basement.

I want to add a room off to the right at the back of the house and am wondering if its possible to underpin just one section of the basement? Like the bedroom has a few stairs going down to it? or would it be better to just go all the way? I would be DIYing this with the advise and occasional help from my uncle who is a structural engineer.. just trying to get a good idea before i embarrass myself asking him LOL.

I'd only be doing this to add value to the house. Typical 1940s brick cape cod. Full attic, converted to master bedroom, 2 bedrooms on the first floor, small living room, dining room and tiny kitchen and a half finished basement. It's listed as a 3 bedroom 1 1/2 bath. 720 sq ft livable space. I was told you could add about 75% of the cost to finish a basement to the value of the home, not sure how much that jumps when a bedroom is included is it, nor how much it lowers when you do structural things like underpinning.

What do you think? Is it worth it? Should i just finish it and forget the underpinning? (probably :P )

Comments (9)