SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Basement Bedroom tiling, long, 7 pics

caroline94535
12 years ago

"Hi! My name is Harry and I'll be your guide to the "Hunting Lodge Bedroom" project.

"Mom took this photo while standing in the basement hallway and looking into the basement bedroom, now grandly named the 'Hunting Lodge Bedroom.' She likes naming the rooms for some strange reason.

"It's a tiny room just a hair (Not mine; maybe Sam's!) or two shy of being 9 ft. x 11 ft. with a 7 ft. ceiling. The closet is a tad bigger than 2x4. It's a "cozy" single bedroom. And now, I turn the descriptions over to my Mom."

First, we pray! "Lord, let me survive trying to work in this tiny room."

Ms. L is determining just where to set the first tile. You can see the center lines we marked. The tiles are spread all around; we were playing with design ideas.

The colors aren't photographing correctly. The plain tiles have swirls of dark browns and rich creams. The mosaics include even darker, and lighter, colors. They're the all the shades of chocolate, cream, and, tan that are found on Harry's lovely coat.

The walls have a vinyl wall board covering with stripes in shades of rusty browns and grayish blues on a light cream background.

The walls are sound, insulated, and in great condition. While the colors and pattern are nothing I would have chosen for myself, I can't justify replacing them. The tiles, in real life, look as though they were designed for the wall covering.

We began in the center of the room with a 12x12 mosaic tile on the diagonal.

We're using 1/4 spacing around the tiles. The grout will be "Cocoa" color; it's almost as dark as the darkest squares in the mosaic.

Setting in one of the mosaics.

Tile is a beautiful thing! This shot was taken while standing against the west wall looking at the east wall. The closet doorway is at the upper right. That's sawdust around the trim; it was later vacuumed up. We undercut it so the tiles will slip under the wood and continue the pattern into the closet.

The grey area is a leveling compound. This section of the floor had a dip; it had to be built up to be level with the rest of the room. As Ms. L says to everything, "Oh, that's easy to fix."

To get this shot I had to stand in the closet. You can see the northwest corner to the left. This is the 11' wall. The twin bed (soon to be an extra-long trundle bed) will be centered on this wall.

The room will have a single/trundle bed, a night stand, a dresser, and a wooden chair with arms. I have enough "Log Cabin" quilt blocks to make a generous bedspread. Wes has three antler mounts to put in the room and many hunting/dog photos. It will be a hunting-man cave.

Looking at the south wall and into the closet. The previous owners had a curtain hung here. I'll be hanging a bi-fold door, possibly mirrored. (Pass� to some; I know, but I love them.) The closet ceiling is 8'. A header beam runs over the center of the room and necessitated the lower dropped ceiling.

Yes; those are Harry's and Sam's duck hunting vests in the closet. Just where else would we keep their flotation devices? LOL

The dresser will be centered on the 5'+ wall to the right of the closet.

Yes; we believe in child labor in this household. Ms. L's 5-year-old grandaughter stopped by to visit. We put her to work!

She fetched and carried and passed tiles back and forth.

Here she is painting the sealer that had to go under the mosaic tiles. The mosaics were just a hair thinner than the plain tiles. "Oh, that's easy to fix," said Ms. L.

To bring them up to the proper height and ensure a level floor, we applied sealer, a thin coat of mortar, and a piece of thick underlayment.

She then "buttered" the mosaic and set it on the underlayment. The tiles' heights match perfectly.

Comments (5)