SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Debating shingles vaccine, not vaccines, just the timing on this one!

l pinkmountain
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I believe in vaccines so don't want to go there. However, my immune system is pretty wonky and I hate to subject it to yet another challenge right now that I've been healthy for a couple of months. I'll be getting a flu vaccine just as I have every year, to avoid being sick with respiratory stuff that I get every time I get the flu. I've already had two scares where I was afraid I was coming down with shingles so I don't want to get yet another virus that could lay me up for weeks and weeks. Both my parents had awful bouts of shingles, before the vaccine was available. I'm wondering what your experiences have been? The only vaccine I ever got a reaction to was the measles back in third grade. I broke out in an awful rash, but it went away. I haven't had any reactions to any flu vaccines or tetanus.

I haven't gotten one before mostly due to cost and logistics . . . I'm 60 so at the age where it could be a concern . . . had chicken pox back in kindergarten.

I figure I may get the shingles vaccine right away, and then wait a couple months before getting the flu one. Or maybe wait and see how bad the flu is this year vs how effective the vaccine is. One year I got the vaccine and both hubs and I got the flu and hubs never gets sick. But he was working in a germ pit factory where they pressured sick people to come in to work. He was sick more there than any other time in his life . . . he's retired now so has been relatively healthy other than the wear and tear aging stuff . . .

Comments (57)

• zepherine1963
    3 years ago

I just had the Flu and first Shingrix vaccine on the same day 2 weeks ago at Rite Aid, they said they had plenty of the Shingrix vaccine now after a shortage when I first signed up earlier in the year.

Just more sore on the arm with Shingrix and swelling at site for about 3 days but nothing bad. ( I actually also had bruising that is now just fading but I think that was more user error than anything to do with the vaccine as it did bleed when he gave it )

• l pinkmountain
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Looks like I'd better get on this shingles thing fast. As for the flu, I think I will resist getting it at the same time. Hopefully it will still be available later this year. But i can't dilly dally. My stress level is pretty high and I think it is weakening my immune system, although I am mostly healthy. But my health was crap in March and April and early May. I don't know if it was allergies or infection or a combination of the two. I know antibiotics didn't help and they really don't help my health. I think part of the reason my health has been so bad is how frequently i give in to the doctor's suggestion of taking an antibiotic "just in case" as if there was no downside. I don't think in almost every case I have had something bacterial, but I do think the antibiotics have messed with my internal biome, and not in a health supporting way . . . I take probiotics bu they are not magic . . .

• Related Discussions

Shingles vaccine?

Q

Comments (34)
    Cam ~ You should still get the vaccine even if you are not certain you've had Chicken Pox. Per the CDC, approx 99.5% of all U.S. citizens over age 40 have had Chicken Pox at some point in their life. Even if you haven't, the vaccine will not hurt you. Also, if you've already had Shingles, you should still get the vaccine because it can help prevent future outbreaks. Rose ~ I would definitely speak with your doctor first. Per Merck, the manufacturer, "ZOSTAVAX is a LIVE, attenuated varicella-zoster vaccine and administration may result in disseminated disease in individuals who are immunosuppressed or immunodeficient. Do not administer ZOSTAVAX to immunosuppressed or immunodeficient individuals including those with a history of primary or acquired immunodeficiency states, leukemia, lymphoma or other malignant neoplasms affecting the bone marrow or lymphatic system, AIDS or other clinical manifestations of infection with human immunodeficiency viruses, and those on immunosuppressive therapy." In other words, it could be very dangerous to give to someone in one of those groups. Here's a link to their info: MERCK ZOSTAVAX INFO Hope this is helpful. Blessings, ~Addy~ Here is a link that might be useful: Q&A About Shingles and Vaccine
    ...See More

Shingles Vaccine Reaction

Q

Comments (46)
    Wow after reading that article it seems we are all doomed. If you can get shingles after the chicken pox vaccine. I am really glad I got my shingles shot. I tried to find the original studies that were about exposure to CP and immunity but no links.= " We know that exposure to chickenpox can significantly prevent or delay shingles (by exogenous boosting of immunity)Increased annual chickenpox rates in children under 5 are associated with reduced shingles in the 15��"44 age group" This doesn't really convince me as most people I know that get shingles are late 50's or older as immune systems decline. I am not sure which article I read that says CP is seasonal but shingles isn't may be missing info too. As the area my parents live in has shingles outbreaks just like chicken pox normally in the late spring early summer. I wonder if as the boomers age if stats will become clearer. The CDC article says you can spread CP with shingles but does not mention shingles to shingles. Which I have personally seen amoung my parents friends.
    ...See More

Caveat on Shingles vaccine

Q

Comments (10)
    Monica, the vast majority of persons with psoriasis DO NOT take drugs for it. Those powerful drugs are only given in the most severe cases and such a person would be under a regular doctor for continuing care and monitoring. For the majority of persons with psoriasis it is nothing more than an occasional nuisance affecting tiny portions of their body, like the elbows, with some flaking. For some persons their whole body is covered in pustules and plaque with cracks going deep into the dermis and infections setting in. There is a lot of bleeding through clothing and onto furniture, and mess made with dropping chunks of skin where ever they go. Nowhere in this thread did anyone, tell anyone, to ignore their doctor's advice not to get the vaccine. That did not happen. If the doc tells someone not to get the vaccine because it would interfere with the other meds they are taking that would make sense. No one would argue with that. Since not everyone who has psoriasis takes meds for it, there is not a blanket prohibition on "those with psoriasis" from getting the vaccine if they chose to. There just isn't.
    ...See More

I finally got vaccinated for shingles.

Q

Comments (16)
    I don't get any preventative meds/shots. I don't like getting all those doses of aluminum. When I was younger I never heard of Alzheimer's and I heard only one mention of "old timers". Now everyone I know has someone that has AZ sometimes both grandparents or both parents. I still believe it is caused by aluminum. It's in every flu shot that we get every year, it is in the pneumonia shot which we get two of, it's in every shot you get. It's in our hand lotion, our anti antiperspirants, check ingredients on the products you buy. When my husband was diagnosed with AZ I did hours of research and found a document written by one of the top immunologist in this country. He said one day the care homes will be so full of AZ patients that they will be living on the streets...because of aluminum. He also said just 2 flu shot increases your chances of getting AZ by 20%. I also believe a lot of the medical people don't take them, one doctor told me not to take anymore anti acids because of the aluminum in them. I just use tums.
    ...See More
  • Tina Marie
    3 years ago

i would definitely do the shingles vaccine and as soon as possible. There is no shortage here, but as mentioned, you may need to shop around. Then get you flu vaccine in October. That is the time I’ve always been recommended to get it. Coverage lasts approximately 6 months, so you want to time it to last through season. Someone told me it had been recommended to get it earlier this year. However, I checked this week and my dr won’t be doing it until October.

• chessey35
    3 years ago

Definitely do the flu vaccine and also the shingles(talk to your dr or pharmacist about the timing) There is a waiting period between the first shingles shot and the second. The second can make you feel crummy for a couple of days with a sore arm and aches etc but to not having shingles, it is well worth it.

• 3katz4me
    3 years ago

I’m getting flu shot and first shingles vaccine on Tues. Never had the flu and never had the flu shot but I think it’s more important to get the shot this year with COVID.

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

And having chicken pox as a kid doesn’t provide enough immunity.

Not only does having had the chicken pox not confer immunity, it's the reason why people get shingles as adults. The virus lies dormant in the body until something triggers it, and shingles is the result.

• Fori
    3 years ago

Talk to the doc, but it sounds like you have had a great reaction record with vaccines. I'd probably get everything at the same time to reduce my goings out of my bubble. :)

If you're nervous about taking them together, and you are taking full isolation precautions for covid-19, you might be able to get away with putting off the flu shot. Avoiding other people is a good way to not get either virus.

But most people have to go to work and can't stay in a bubble...

• ratherbesewing
    3 years ago

I posted about my side effects from the shingles vaccine a few months ago, but can’t figure out how to retrieve it.?? (I found some posts on roof shingles LOL). Anyway, I assume you know it is 2 shots given a few months apart. I, but not not everyone, had a reaction to both shots. Mainly, I felt a bit flu-ish and this lasted for 48 hours. For the second shot, I had a visible reaction at the shot Impact area that was red and swollen. I believe the shingles shortage is over compared to my DH who was on a list for 8 months in 2019. I would consult the pharmacist about receiving the shingles and flu vaccine at the same appointment. When my kids were young, they would receive multiple vaccinations at a single appointment.

• l pinkmountain
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I know its common to mix vaccines for logistical reasons. Still not a fan. And I also know that a childhood bout of chickenpox is how you get shingles, which is why I think I need a shingles vaccine, particularly at my age and stress level. Just hesitant to spend any more time feeling poorly. But then I would feel super poorly if I had shingles!!

Yes RBS, your side effects were one reason I have been putting off getting the vaccine. After a bout with the flu or a sinus infection or allergies or long stretch of bad migraines zapping all my energy, and then finally feeling "not sick" and having energy, I hate the idea of getting on the carpy feeling treadmill once again. I absolutely know that long-term its better for me to have the shot than not have the shot, but usually I say, "Well maybe I can take the risk a bit longer" with shingles. I'm at the age where that is no longer even remotely a good procrastination excuse. Too much depends on me having the strength and energy to soldier on.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    3 years ago

If you have concerns about feeling unwell due to the vaccine, imagine how you would feel with shingles. Get the vaccine ASAP. I have watched friends struggle with shingles, no thank you.

• hcbm
    3 years ago

The side effect of feeling unwell is not the same as being unwell. A side effect goes away in a few days and does not leave that lingering yuck feeling. To reiterate, you would not be sick, you would be feeling the side effects that are finite and much less than being sick. I wouldn't put off either vaccine. Imagine having Covid and either the Shingles or Flu at the same time, now that is sick. In addition you probably need one or both of the pneumonia vaccines. By the way vaccines are covered if you have health insurance with no copay, thank you Obama Care.

• maire_cate
    3 years ago

DH and I both received our Shingles vaccines well over a year ago. We put our names on the list at Walgreens and the wait time was around 4 to 5 months. We both experienced the typical flu-like side effects that many others have reported and I did take a nap the afternoon after getting the shot. Nothing out of the ordinary and certainly better than Shingles. I had received my flu shot the week before but DH got his flu shot the same day as his first Shingles shot and reported no additional ill effects. He's a physician and wasn't concerned about getting both shots and neither was the pharmacist. As others have already said feeling tired and crappy for a day is not a bad price to pay for the benefit. You mentioned that you've seen how your parents suffered with Shingles so I guess I'm a little surprised that you're putting it off.

Have you considered getting the shot on a Friday morning so that you'd have the weekend to recover. As hcbm said - have you had the pneumonia vaccines as well?

• l pinkmountain
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Nothing is covered on my mediocre self insurance until I reach the 5K deductible. I can get free flu and pneumonia at the health department though. I take my Dad every year and I can go with him this year. In the past I was able to get the flu shot at work for a low cost. Usually the flu is low cost wherever I get it. Don't know about shingles.

• PRO
    MDLN
    3 years ago

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/adults/pay-for-vaccines.html

Warning to those nearing 65/Medicare age, you may have better coverage for the Shingrex vaccination with your private health insurance than Medicare part C or D coverage; may want to consider getting it before age 65.

• hcbm
    3 years ago

I pinkmountain according to the gov website only insurance companies that are employer based and in existence before 2010 are grandfathered and don't have to cover preventive care, including vaccines. It is truly disgusting that we can't even provide affordable preventive care to all.

• jill302
    3 years ago

My doctor’s office was not giving the Shingrix vaccine early during the pandemic . Not sure if that has changed. She was worried that if her patients had a hard time with the vaccine they might assume they had Coronavirus and go to ER. She personally had a hard time with the first Shingrix vaccine and I did as well. It truly felt like I had a flu for 3 days, very achy and a bit of a fever. No problem at all with the second injection.

Very glad to have had my Shingrix all done. I did mine last fall, my insurance covers age 50 and above. Planning to have my flu shot in late September. I recently learned that the flu typically arrives here on the west coast earlier than the rest of the country.

• bbstx
    3 years ago

I did an almost live posting of my experience with Shingrix. First shot was no big deal. Aside: I had the flu shot a week later, because I was skittish about mixing the two. The second Shingrix shot was a little more interesting. Nothing earth shattering, but still a bit of discomfort, which was easily handled with rest and Tylenol. The discomfort beats having shingles hands down.

• lascatx
    3 years ago

Whatever you do, don't put off getting them because you are locked in indecision about which one to get first. You have a specific concern about shingles, so I'd get that one ASAP and plan on getting the flu vaccine in a week or two if you don't want to get it t the same time (ask the doctor or pharmacist what they think). If you are concerned about having a strong reaction to Shingrix, get the flu vaccine this week and then the Shingrix by the end of the month. You really don't want to leave yourself unprotected against either of these, so just get started.

• nutsaboutplants
    3 years ago

If you can safely get the shingrix vaccine, please do. I had a monstrous case of shingles 3 years ago and still have nerve pain. You don’t want that sucker, believe me. You’ll get through any side effects of the vaccine within a few days.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

Just got my first shingles shot, DH got his a few days ago.

Arm feels like I pulled a muscle, but other than that, so far so good.

I understand it's the booster though that can cause the bigger reaction. Something to look forward to!

Beats what a friend told me about a friend of his who got it in his eye which aggravated glaucoma and he's had to get surgery as a result. A shot sounds a lot easier!

There was no waiting for either of us, just walk right in and get it. So it must be around. I went to rite aid which is in network and paid nothing.

The recommendation they gave me was to wait 4 weeks after the shingle shot before getting the flu shot. That should work out as it's early yet for the flu shot.

Though I suspect it will be less of an issue this year as, all the things we're doing to prevent covid, will also prevent the spread of the flu.

• 3katz4me
    3 years ago

I got my first one on Tuesday - just a sore arm for me also. They scheduled me to have the flu shot at the same time but the nurse suggested not to when I got there so I didn't though she couldn't give me any solid medical evidence as to why I shouldn't. She said to wait a couple weeks. As far as I can tell there is no real evidence about timing of the two and health care providers provide their opinion which, based on this thread, varies from same day to four weeks apart.

• kkay_md
    3 years ago

My first Shingrix shot laid me up for a day; I was feverish, tired, and achy. The second was much easier, mostly just a sore arm. I had shingles many years ago, and vastly prefer the shot, even with the strong reaction.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

For me, the reason to wait is, if I get a severe reaction, I want to know which shot is responsible which I can't do if I get them on the same day.

• PRO
    MDLN
    3 years ago

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

After a bad night last night...my arm was so sore, I could hardly lift it or lean on it...I'm please to say that this a.m. it's much better. Just a little soreness that I hardly notice. DH says his arm is feeling a lot better now too.

• Bonnie
    3 years ago

I received the second dose of Shingrix and a flu shot two days ago. i spent yesterday on the sofa and in bed feeling achy all over, with very little appetite. Advil helped with the aches. I received Shingrix in my left arm and the flu shot in my right. The left arm was definitely the most sore.. I went to bed at 9 feeling exhausted, Today I feel much better, ashiness is gone and just slight soreness in the Shingrix arm. Overall, I’d say my reaction was on the mild side compared to what some people experience.

• l pinkmountain
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Just had lunch with a friend who said her daughter fainted after her Shingrix vaccine. Not at the vaccination center, but later when she went to run an errand at the bank after the shot. Otherwise she was fine. That's part of the timing issue for me, I just don't want to bombard even my arms with two things at once to heal from. You might not get the issue I am having if you are a person who is generally very healthy. I am generally always having some type of inflammation, so when I do feel good, hesitant to break the winning streak. No matter, I can't even find my doctor anymore, she closed down one office and won't return calls from the new office she supposedly moved to. The health department didn't return my calls either, but they are not showing that they offer shingles vaccine on their Web site, but do show flu and pneumonia.

I'm sure I'll track it down eventually, but just goes to show you how spotty health care is in a poor rural area. Several local hospitals are on the brink of closing. This was before the pandemic, but I don't see it reversing the trend . . . sad because growing up I remember it being the home of a set of excellent doctors and a full array of health care offerings. But then it was a community managed hospital, rather than a for-profit outfit. Now when you go there you will get an array of out of town doctors on call, few reliable ones have admitting privileges. One has to drive 45 min. to another hospital to find good doctors, and that one is about to close too, which means 1.25 hour drive. The best they do here in an emergency is try to keep you alive during the long ride to good quality medical care.

• bbstx
    3 years ago

lpink, surely there is a pharmacy close by. In most states, MI included, pharmacists are trained and licensed to administer immunizations.

• l pinkmountain
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, that is my next line of inquiry. Just kind of ticked off that my doctor is awol. Also since I have limited health care coverage (big deductible) I am always looking for the most cost effective place to get my medical services. With little competition, I'm not sure where to go for the cheapest shots . . . probably moot if they are only available in one place . . .

• lizbeth-gardener
    3 years ago

lpink, I know you have said your health insurance is not great, but have you checked to make sure you are not eligible for the "no deductible, no co-pay" vaccines that were mandated by the ACA? I don't believe they cover Shingrix, but they do cover other vaccinations and screenings.

• hcbm
    3 years ago

I believe in most states almost exclusively pharmacies are the providers of flu and Shingrix vaccines. CVS, Rite Aide, and Walgreen all have the vaccines here on the East Coast. I find that CVS Mini-Clinic is more expensive than other pharmacies for pharmacy type medical care.

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

I was just going to say - my dr's office doesn't do the shingles or flu vaccines (well not my internist, we always get our flu shots through my allergist). Most everyone around here gets the shingles vaccine at the pharmacy. Also, my dr. suggests tylenol and benedryl before or directly after a vaccine (even flu shot) if you tend to have any issues.

• lizbeth-gardener
    3 years ago

I did get my Shingrix vaccine from a pharmacy, but always get my flu vaccine from my primary physician (internist). It may differ in your location; public health is worth checking, too.

• maddielee
    3 years ago

Pink, this from Dr. Internet ;

Shingrix costs $280 for both shots. Under the Affordable Care Act, all Health Insurance Marketplace plans and most private health insurance plans will cover Shingrix with no deductibles or copayments -- as long as you get the vaccine from an in-network provider.Nov 13, 2019”.

• 3katz4me
    3 years ago

I got mine at the family practice dept at my clinic. Minor sore arm for a couple days and that’s it. Hopefully round two will be the same.

• lascatx
    3 years ago

All the pharmacy's around here have discount cards they can use when something isn't covered. Looks like you may be able to get it down to $155 with the GoodRx card, though Walmart and CVS are a little higher at $172 and $186, respectively, in case you don't have it covered.

I'm glad you are feeling well, but isn't that the best time to go get the vaccine -- so you don't feel even worse with whatever degree of reaction you do have? You say you have a condition with inflammation and often don't feel well. If you get shingles, you are going to feel a whole lot worse than any vaccine reaction. You can count on a lot of pain for weeks -- best case. Both from open sores and the deep nerve pain. Some folks have lingering nerve pain for months, years or life. You can also have neurological problems other than pain, including blindness. I think you are focussing on the wrong end of this situation.

• straitlover
    3 years ago

Yes, get both Shingrix and flu. However, I don;t recommend getting them on the same day if your immune system is not i tip top shape. I got my first Shingrex and the flu shot on the same day. Next day I felt like I was run over by a truck, was fine by the end of the day though. Second Shingrex, I felt kind of crummy the next day, was fine by lunch.

• czarinalex
    3 years ago

My insurance policy wouldn't cover the Shingrix administered by a supermarket pharmacy, located 10 minutes from my house. They will cover a flu shot from same supermarket pharmacy. Makes no sense to me(or the pharmacist). I had to drive an hour to an independent pharmacy(twice). My doctors office doesn't do either shot.

I wouldn't get the flu shot the same day as Shingrix.

• l pinkmountain
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So still trying to just figure out where to get the shot. The flu shot was not covered by my insurance but it was not that expensive at the doctor's office. I worked at a school so was able to get it inexpensively at the health clinic, ($20.00). Local hospital/walk in clinic more expensive, I shopped around. So the shingles vaccine last time I checked at my local pharmacy, was 90 bucks, couple of years ago. One reason I waited back then. Not sure what the situation will be now. Hard to imagine my insurance coverage will be better three years later . . .Doubt the local pharmacy will be considered a network provider on my insurance. I don't know, will probably have to try and call them or find out on their web site. Big time investment . . . but I have to try and find the least expensive way to go . . .

If you've ever tried to "shop around" for the least expensive medical test or shot, or x-ray or whatever, you will find that the information is usually difficult to find, and even not reliable when you do find someone to tell you the cost.

Also got call back from my doctor's new office. Told me to call her old office. Problem is, the old office told me to call her new one. "I sense your frustration" the receptionist at the new office told me . . .

Edited to add that I finally received a call from the public health department. They are offering the shots. They will bill insurance company but I am now waiting to find out how much of it will be covered. My insurance portal states that, "Average cost in my area is: $261 - $287." Sent a request via e-mail to find out how much of that would be paid by me since I haven't met my deductible yet, and also their preferred location. Said 2-3 days for response. Public health official said I might be eligible for a free program but check with insurance company first. Love me some public health!!

• l pinkmountain
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Update: Hubs also working on place and cost. Shingles not covered by Medicare (that's his primary insurance). He also has Aetna supplemental coverage and they cover $60.00 of the total cost, so he called CVS which is where Aetna said he should go, and it is $190 per shot. So with his discount, that's 160 per shot for a total cost of $240 and a two month wait.

Over the years I've had to balance cost vs risk vs benefit for health care services. I got the relatively low cost flu, maintaining my risk for pneumonia and shingles. Pneumonia wasn't recommended prior for someone my age, but now I have passed the golden 60 number. Now I could be facing covid with less risk abatement available, so wanting to minimize as much as possible my other risks. That can be done, but at a cost. I have a very limited income. And am having a hard time returning to work, due to risks too. So this is heartbreaking, living with the financial burden and the risks, constant, no relief. Pretty soon I will have to start dipping into my retirement early, which considering the shaky ground social security is on, is also scary with no signs of any relief in sight.

We'll see, maybe this program hinted at by our public health department will help me lower some of these vaccination costs.

• lascatx
    3 years ago

I agree with you on the sorry state of health care costs and insurance. Maybe vote for someone who has said day one he will start working to remedy those issues? It is a primary concern for me.

• l pinkmountain
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It's not that I'm super cheap, but very discouraged since my limited coverage costs me 5K per year and then basically covers nothing. I'd be better off not having insurance, but then if something really bad happened I would lose all my retirement savings. But it seems to me that 5k for basically nothing (my dediutible is 5k) but retirement savings insurance is pretty steep. I usually only spend about 2500 per year in costs, and that is for minimal stuff, but it is all very expensive. Almost half my salary goes to health care expenses! My routine thyroid blood test that I have twice a year used to cost 65 a pop now costs 125, and it hasn't gotten rarer or more complicated. Cost should be going down for routine things due to technological innovations, more things can be automated, etc . . .

• lascatx
    3 years ago

I get it. A medication I use for muscle spasms when needed after years before I found one I could tolerate -- went from maybe $30 as a covered medication to over $300. The pharmacy was very good about finding a discount card that got it down to $157 for a 90 day supply. That was a shocker -- I have taken it for at least 10 years and it has always been covered. It isn't new -- Iit has been available as a generic and this is the generic cost! I lost my coverage as the pandemic started and am now on the COBRA. I'm afraid it is going to go from bad to worse.

• lizbeth-gardener
    3 years ago

lascatx: Is it possible to get your physician to call the insurance company and tell them you need this medicine and request they put it back on their formulary? I know my DH has been able to do that in the past.

• lascatx
    3 years ago

It might be, but I was trying to get it before my insurance terminated and the pandemic was ramping up. Making sure I had it became more important than taking weeks to try to appeal it, especially not knowing if it might be successful. I was happy to get it and not pay the full price. Glad to know the process has worked for your DH -- that will encourage me to try next time.

• jojoco
    3 years ago

Just chiming in to add that CVS always has a long Shingrix waitlist. Many other chains inexplicably have none.

• l pinkmountain
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The health dept. told me there were two pharmacies offering Shingrix in my community, CVS and one other regional chain one. My doctor is on haitus all month and I'm still debating on jumping ship. Either way, it will be at least a month before I can get any services from a personal physician. I still haven't heard back from my insurance company about coverage of the Shingrix, but I'll extrapolate from hubs experience with Aetna supplemental and project that it will be expensive for the vaccine and minimal if any coverage by my insurance company. I don't think my coverage will be better than his. But I have to find out for sure before I can maybe pursue some special program through our health department. But I'll bet that too will be minimal support. They need our money and have us over a barrel, so there you have it.

• PRO
  • bbstx
    3 years ago

Good show, @MDLN! Great info.

• l pinkmountain
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks MDLN. I'll check it out if I ever find a doctor. It's number three on my "to do" list after getting all my tomatoes put up for the season and getting my absentee voting set up. Interesting that GlaxoSmithKline is the company that provides the Shingrix vaccine. I used to work for a charity endowed by one of the heirs of SmithKline Beecham. She was a Beecham, her father was one of their main chemists many moons ago . . . No children of her own and she left her fortune to the care of disadvantaged children from Philadelphia.