SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bestyears_gw

Shingles vaccine?

bestyears
11 years ago

I don't think we've discussed this here before, but the way my memory works, we may have, so apologies upfront....

I know all about the shingles vaccine, and made my mom go get one, and my husband, who is over sixty as well. But I am 52, so not quite old enough right? But here's the thing.. I know of SIX people around my age who have had shingles in just the last year. Some cases were very mild, but my sister's case was horrendous. Really, really terrible, all down one side of her body from her scalp to her ankle. She had tremendous pain, a fever, etc. and it ran about 3 weeks in its entirety. My insurance will cover it at no charge when I am 60+, but I would have to pay $300 for it if I get it early. I've been procrastinating because there are a gazillion new things I would prefer to do with $300. But this past weekend I got really sick with some kind of intestinal bug. The kind of sick where you cannot keep even 1/2 cup of water down.... I always forget how horrible it is to be in pain like that until I'm in it.... and so I find myself again, thinking about the shingles vaccine... Are any of you thinking about this? Any recommendations?

Comments (34)