Reading the 'Classics'
6 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (30)
Related Discussions
A Rose by any other name is NOT still a Rose
Comments (2)Hi Tikanas! I'll answer to this! My Diet Chat name is Wild_Chicken because one of my favorite things to hear and see are the wild chickens, while hiking in one of my favorite places, Kauai. Some people call me BJ, my initials, but I prefer to be called Wild_Chicken to keep my privacy in case any of my relatives or friends are lurking in on me! :) Married, I have 4 kids, all girls, and no pets. My interests change every year, as I am always trying some new hobby or sport that I find I enjoy! I immerse myself in it for a year or more and I'm off to something else. However, I have always enjoyed hiking in whatever place I'm visiting. I hike at a fast pace and enjoy it! I like taking a camera and getting nature shots while I'm out there. I love talking with my kids, hot climates, watching things grow, seeing GOOD, non-violent movies, and cooking meals for people. I like reading in a library setting and get a library card at the local library as soon as I hit town! Lastly, I like to believe you're never too old for anything if you're in shape to try it...so take care of your health and see a doc yearly! As far as weight and diet goes, I am on a HER athlete-based sort of a plan: whole foods, no preservatives, and I eat SMALL meals every 3 or 4 hours, about 6 meals a day total. I try to combine a little protein and carb in each meal. This has keep me on track and I'm not hungry. Most of my food is refrigerator stuff, fresh and from the outside aisle in the grocery: veggies, fruit, whole grain, nutty bread, yogurt, and nuts. This, I find, keeps me CHARGED UP and ready to go! It also reminds me to get out there and MOVE! I have lost over 50 pounds (on WW, SS, and the HER althlete-based plan) and have 12 more pounds to lose B4 I'm at goal! I am hypothyroid and take meds for that; it doesn't make losing weight any easier! I detest sit-ups and push-ups, but try to do them anyway....lol....See MoreReading Jane Eyre again after 30+ years
Comments (43)Rosefolly, I really agree with you on the assessments of the two men. Rochester is clearly the romantic and the passionate one. Rivers doesn't even have the passion on the pulpit. Jane comments on his sermans. Rochester is not blameless; he has his flaws. On one level he is a Byronic hero; on the other level he is desperately trying to salvage a small portion of happiness in this life. While it is understandable, it is certainly not morally right. He tells Jane, after the thwarted wedding attempt, that he should have come to her and told her the whole story. I would argue that he knew better. When he plays the gypsy, he tells her that he sees in her brow that she could and would live without happiness if self-respect required it. He knew her very well, indeed! Rivers, on the other hand, was cold. He demanded the "right" thing from her insisting that God wanted her to marry him. And he knew he had will to bend hers. He was working on it when Jane hears the voice in the night. Rivers is probably more reprehensible because his Christian beliefs were aligned with the Puritans, which left no room for happiness, love, passion, fun, etc. Just cold dedication. Jane knew she would die under such strong willed restrictions....See MoreDo you set reading goals for yourself?
Comments (26)The newest version of Tess of the D'Urbervilles is set to be shown on MASTERPIECE CLASSICS on PBS in two 2-hour episodes, commencing 4 January 2009. See link below for more info. I caught an installment when I was in England and wished I could have seen the rest. It looked, from what I saw, to be a more detailed adaptation than either the A&E version of the 1990s or Roman Polanski's film. I found a couple of the young actors rather annoying, including the one playing Tess -- she wasn't very expressive, in my opinion, but maybe she was better in other parts. But the older actors seemed well cast, including the wonderful Anna Massey as Mrs D'Urberville. Yep, Tess and most of Hardy's books are real downers -- Little Father Time in Jude, oh mercy!! But I have a real soft spot for Tess. I guess I first read it at exactly the right time for me. Here is a link that might be useful: Tess on Masterpiece...See MorePick up a book and live longer !
Comments (0)People who read live longer than those who don’t, Yale researchers say Posted January 4, 2019 THE BENEFITS OF READING SHOULD NOT BE UNDERSTATED, EVEN WHEN IT COMES TO LIVING A LONGER LIFE. A NEW STUDY FINDS THAT READING BOOKS IN PARTICULAR RETURNS COGNITIVE GAINS THAT INCREASE LONGEVITY. By Laurie Vázquez – Flying Books – NationalReadingGroupMonth.com – homepg_photo_2014b Bookworms rejoice! A new study in the journal Social Science and Medicine just discovered that people who read books live longer than people who don’t. Researchers at Yale University asked 3,635 participants over 50 years-old about their reading habits. From that data, they split the cohort into 3 groups: non-readers, people who read less than 3.5 hours per week, and people who read more than 3.5 hours per week. The researchers followed up with each group for 12 years. The people who read the most were college-educated women in the higher-income group. Over the course of the study, the researchers consistently found that both groups of readers lived longer than the non-readers. The readers who read over 3.5 hours a week lived a full 23 months longer than the people who didn’t read at all. That extended lifespan applied to all reading participants, regardless of “gender, wealth, education or health” factors, the study explains. That’s a 20% reduction in mortality created by a sedentary activity. That’s a big deal, and a very easy fix for improving quality of life in anyone over 50. Credit: Social Science and Medicine The results get better. “Compared to non-book readers,” the authors continue, “book readers had a 4-month survival advantage,” at the age when 20% of their peers passed away. “Book readers also experienced a 20% reduction in risk of mortality over the 12 years of follow up compared to non-book readers.” The authors continue: “Further, our analyses demonstrated that any level of book reading gave a significantly stronger survival advantage than reading periodicals. This is a novel finding, as previous studies did not compare types of reading material; it indicates that book reading rather than reading in general is driving a survival advantage.” “Stack ‘o Books” courtesy ABookSource.com The reason books had greater gains than periodicals is because book reading involves more cognitive faculties. The readers didn’t begin with higher cognitive faculties than the non-readers; they simply engaged in the activity of reading, which heightened those faculties. “This finding suggests that reading books provide a survival advantage due to the immersive nature that helps maintain cognitive status,” said the study’s authors. As any book lover knows, reading involves two major cognitive processes: deep reading, and emotional connection. Deep reading is a slow process where the reader engages with the book and seeks to understand it within its own context and within the context of the outside world. Emotional connection is where the reader empathizes with the characters, and that promotes social perception and emotional intelligence. Those cognitive processes were cited by the Yale team and used as markers for this study. While they apparently offer a survival advantage, “better health behaviors and reduced stress may explain this process [as well],” according to the study. Still, those cognitive benefits are real, as writer Nicholas Sparr explains [in a video associated with this article]. All the data was self-reported via phone survey and it didn’t really account for ebooks, but it’s still encouraging. There are no real downsides to reading, other than making the time for it. But if you’re not convinced and would rather have John Green teach you literature instead of reading the classics for yourself, philosopher and Yale University Dean Jeffrey Brenzel lays out 5 additional pro-reading benefits for you [in a video associated with this article]. Happy reading! (For the source of this article, and to watch a couple of videos related to it, please visit: https://bigthink.com/laurie-vazquez/yale-study-people-who-read-live-longer-than-people-who-dont/)...See More- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Stories

DECORATING GUIDESFun Kitchen Helper: The Classic, Practical Chalkboard
What's black and white and read all over kitchen walls, cabinets and even chairs? Chalkboard — and it comes in colors too
Full Story
LIFEHouzz Call: Where (and What) Are You Reading This Summer?
Whether you favor contemporary, classic or beach reads, do the long and lazy days of summer bring out the lit lover in you?
Full Story
LATEST NEWS FOR PROFESSIONALSMore Home Pros Share Their Essential Design Reads
Designers reveal books that have inspired and influenced them. Which have you read?
Full Story
HOMES AROUND THE WORLDWorld of Design: 11 Book Lovers and Where They Like to Read
Bibliophiles across the globe reveal their top books and favorite reading spots, from a 2-story library to an artfully curated book nook
Full Story
TRADITIONAL STYLE5 Classic Shaker Designs for the Contemporary Home
Clean lines and practicality are intrinsic to this popular style and its modern interpretations
Full Story
TASTEMAKERSClassic Decor Gets Its Due — in a Giftworthy Book
Entertainment and education mingle in this design reference, brimming with anecdotes, history and design lessons for today
Full Story
DECORATING STYLES5 Essential Moves for Classic Scandi Style
Make your home a homage to Scandinavian style or simply add a few nicely Nordic touches with this checklist of key features
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESTastemaker: Reagan Hayes Reinterprets the Classics
Designer gives timeless pieces extra comfort and a youthful elegance
Full Story
MY HOUZZMy Houzz: Classic Style With a Colorful DIY Twist in New England
Meaningful furnishings and handy projects, including a clever wall of knobs, feature in this engaged couple’s Massachusetts home
Full Story
katmarie2014