SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

Do you set reading goals for yourself?

Hi guys! Time certainly does fly, weather one is having a good time or not, lol. I can't believe that it will be 2009 in just a few weeks! It is a time when everyone seems to be making New Years resolutions. I never make resolutions, but often set 'goals' for myself. Do you ever set reading goals for yourself?

If so, did you achieve your goals for this year? Anything you are especially proud to have accomplished?

I first started reading Classic literature in 2007, and was determined to read more in 2008. But I decided that I would start 'sampling' works from different authors. I am glad I did this; I read a bit from a great many famous authors this year. I satisfied my curiosity about a number of books I had always heard about, but had never read.

I also planned on reading all of Jane Austen's books (which I did), and all of the Bronte novles (which I did not).

I also set goals as I went. If I read a book I liked I would plan to read more by that author, either in the near or distant future.

Also this year, around summer, I decided to start reading some classic American literature, which I had not done before.

I am also proud of myself for starting Ovid's The Metamorphoses. I can not tell you how much this intimidated me. But I finally cracked it open, and found it was not as difficut as I had let myself imagine it was. I find it facinating.

Do you have any goals for 2009?

I am not sure yet what I plan to do in reading for this up-comming year. One thing on the agenda is to read War & Peace. I just want to get a good edition first.

So how about you guys? Any reading goals?

CMK

Comments (26)

• netla
    15 years ago

I have been doing reading challenges. In 2006 I challenged myself to discover a new author every week, as many of them as possible writing in genres new to me. I was trying to pull myself out of a long reading slump, and it worked.

At the beginning of 2007 I set myself a challenge to discover 52 new mystery authors and review them and their work on my book blog. I didn't set myself a time limit, but as it happens, it has taken 2 years. I am on the last one.

Next year I want to challenge myself to read more local literature, as for the last 10 years or so my reading has been almost exclusively in English or translated into my native language. It will probably be a book-a-week challenge.

• lemonhead101
    15 years ago

I think my reading goal will be to tackle longer works: the works that I find so intimidating due to their length, not necessarily their content:

* "And Ladies of the Club" - Helen Hoover Santmyer
    * "The Historian" - Elizabeth Kostova
    * "Rising Tide: The Great Mississippi Flood of 1927..." by John M. Barry

In between, I plan on maintaining my pretty balanced approach to books - some hard, some easy, some long, some short - so long as I enjoy them, I am fine.

• Related Discussions

If you had one whole day to yourself, what would you do?

Q

Comments (27)
    I've been sitting here for a few minutes contemplating what I'd do if I had a day to myself. No kids? No interruptions? Peace and quiet all day long? It's sounding so good, I just might try to arrange it in the next couple of months! :) I would sleep in. I'd read in bed. I'd have a long bath, go check out a couple of thrift stores, eat lunch out.... I'd go for a nice hike somewhere quiet by the water. I'd go home and order in some Vietnamese soup for dinner. I'd read out on the deck with a big glass of wine and some jazz music. Then I'd watch a good chick flick before reading in bed some more. Ahhhh.... I feel refreshed just having written about it! :)
    ...See More

Girls with Goals for 09/17 - 09/23 Join us set a goal

Q

Comments (22)
    Whew! Finally have the Around-the-World quilt laid out again, four rounds larger and two rows wider this time, and it is looking nice. The center is a rainbow hot air balloon in a blue sky, to represent traveling over all of the exotic places around the world. The next two rounds are light blue, then gradating out into black, dark blue, bright blue and greens. The corners are each American flag fabrics, blending into light colors, tans, then into yellows and orange. Total of 135 different charms in a 9x15 layout of 6" squares (49.5"x82.5"). I think it will be just the right size for a twin bed when I add borders.
    ...See More

Girls with Goals????? for 11/08 -11/11 Set a Goal with us

Q

Comments (4)
    I wondered about you not posting. Hope it all works out okay. Every two weeks is fine and if I actually finish something, I'd post it with a picture anyway. Finished the Hannukah hanging, see separate post, and finished the crazy quilt blocks but no border yet. Am going on a shop hop this weekend and hope to find a border fabric that meets my spec. I'm working on small Christmas projects and quilting placemats. Next two weeks will be devoted to that plus exploring some of the blocks coming up with next year's birthday swap. Good luck on your efforts there, Suellen. Linda in California
    ...See More

How do you treat yourself?

Q

Comments (28)
    I do the same as Zalco, because I would also just be sitting and reading (and nibbling) - the list motivates me and keeps me on track. So today I crossed off picking the blueberries, deadheading, weeding and mowing. Yesterday I crossed off cutting the rubber stair treads to fit the basement stairs, and fastening them in place. Tomorrow I aim to fix my leaky sillcock. Reward - is really the satisfaction and sense of accomplishment of getting things done. But, tonight I am having Ice cream because it was hot outside today and I worked anyway!
    ...See More
  • ccrdmrbks
    15 years ago

No, I do not. Personal reading for me is pleasure, escape and relaxation. I want to be free to read what I want when I want and toss it if it's bad. Other parts of my life have goals of one form or another-due dates, deadlines, targets-and I don't always enjoy the effort of reaching them. Sometimes those do involve "professional" reading, but I keep my pleasure reading very free.

• sheriz6
    15 years ago

My reading goal for 2009 is to make a dent in the 200+ TBR pile. I say this every year, of course, and it never seems to happen. I did manage to cut my book buying way back this year, but my library usage increased quite a bit to balance it out. So many books, so little time!

Lemonhead, I hope you enjoy And Ladies of the Club and The Historian as much as I did. Those are two of my favorites.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    Original Author
    15 years ago

-sheriz, now THATS what I call a TBR list! Mine (at 85, but still growing) seems pathetic to yours! It is a vicious cycle, every time I cross one off two more will suddenly appear. Thank goodness the Life Expectancy Rate is growing every year!
    And I too, have gone to the library a lot this year, which I hardly ever did before.

Another goal for this next year is to read some more ancient texts. Maybe even try some books on philosophy too.
    CMK

• friedag
    15 years ago

No, I no longer set reading goals. I just go where my whims take me.

For 2009, though, I think I will make a resolution to not pay any attention to any "book of the moment." Occasionally one of those will turn out to be quite good, such as The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, but most seem to me to be overrated and big disappointments. If I wasn't such a hopeful sucker...!!

• mariannese
    15 years ago

As always, I hope to begin reading Proust this year. There is a good and fairly recent translation into Swedish of A la recherche du temps perdu (don't know the English translation of the title). I'm always putting it off perhaps because two friends of mine were so struck with it that they joined the Proust Society independently of each other and talked of little else. I am afraid I won't be able to live up to their enthusiasm.

• woodnymph2_gw
    15 years ago

I never set reading goals and have no desire to do so. Reading is such pure unadulterated pleasure for me, that with an adventurous spirit, I let myself wander where fancy takes me....

• frances_md
    15 years ago

Yes, but I never follow them so I suppose the answer should be no, no goals.

• georgia_peach
    15 years ago

I like going where my whim takes me too, and I almost never keep my goals when I formalize them. I do want to read more short stories in the coming year, and take better notes on what I read since my memory is so bad. I also want to buy less and read more of my shelf-sitters at home.

• J C
    15 years ago

Not really a reading goal, but I have made an effort to purchase only books that are really, really special and that I will certainly read again. This means that I have usually read them before I buy them. I am trying to cull my collection because I just don't have room, and I plan to move in the next year or so. I am trying to find new homes for any books that I will never read again, or that I will not be able to easily find should I decide to re-read. By this criteria, my Harry Potter books should go because I don't foresee a time when I won't be able to get them at the library. This is easier said than done. Giving away my books is so hard for me!

• carolyn_ky
    15 years ago

No goals for me except to keep reading more and more of whatever takes my fancy.

• kren250
    15 years ago

I've got a few informal goals I set for myself each year. I've always wanted to read at least 100 books in one calanda year, but I've never reached that goal:-). This year, I won't even come close. The closest I've ever come was 98 books read in 2005.

I also always have an author or two whose complete work I'm slowly working my way through (with lots of other books in between). Right now it's Cormac McCarthy and Toni Morrison. I have only one McCarthy left unread, but several Morrison's. I hope to cross both authors off my list by 2010, and find a new author to tackle.

And then I have several books that have been on my TBR list for years that I'd like to finally be able to cross off. In 2008 I read probably 10 or so books that had been on my list for a long time; in 2009 I have several more I'd like to read (including Gone with the Wind, which I've never read!).

Kelly

• veer
    15 years ago

No goals for me although I did think I should try and read the occasional 'classic' work and towards that end I did enjoy Cranford and started John Halifax Gentleman and Wuthering Heights (but fell at the first fence with them both) and keep telling myself that I really should get into the Christmas spirit with Dickens' Pickwick Papers.
    I certainly am never bothered by the quantity of books I get through.

• sherwood38
    15 years ago

No goals for me either. I read for pure pleasure and my only wish is that my favorite authors would write faster LOL!

Vee I never finished Cranford after it became a TV show, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Also, I keep meaning to read The Pickwick Papers, it is one of the few Dicken's novels that I have not read. Maybe if the library slows down with my requests I will pull it off the shelf. Over the years I have purchased all the classics that I want to read knowing that I will get around to them when in the mood.

Pat

Original Author
    15 years ago

I read Cranford online before I watched the TV show. I agree with you veer, the second part was better than the first. But on the whole, I have to say the book was just okay.
    The TV show had a lot more in it than the book. I heard somewhere that the they (the producers or writers I assume) added in several other works of Gaskell into the show 'Cranford'. Does anyone know if that is true or not?
    CMK

• ccrdmrbks
    15 years ago

yes, it is. They incorporated Lady Ludlow and Mr. Harrison's Confessions.

• veer
    15 years ago

Pat, good to have you back.
    Here in the UK the BBC is showing a special edition of Cranford during the Christmas holidays. No doubt you will get it on your side of the Pond in time for Easter.

Re Dickens. Little Dorrit has just finished. Not quite in the same league as Bleak House and by the end, never having read the book, I was left somewhat confused about the parts some of the characters had played in the denouement of a very complicated plot.
    Unusually it was shown in half-hour-episodes. Perhaps in the US you will watch it as a great long Dickens Fest.

Original Author
    15 years ago

-ccrdmrbks, thanks! What a peculiar thing to do. There were several lagging parts in the story, so I suppose they felt they ought to make it more exciting for film.

-veer, is the Cranford you are talking about a different version than the one with Judy Dench?
    I keep meaning to ask you if you saw 'Tess of the D'Urbervilles'. Was it any good? I am very curious about it. Hopefully it won't take too long to come on TV over here.
    CMK

• kkay_md
    15 years ago

My reading goals are to keep up with the readings of my 2 book groups, on top of my full-time job (which involves lots of reading) and myriad activities and interests. I do try to shoe-horn in some unstructured reading on the side (my TBR piles are towering), but there's never enough time to do as much as I'd like....

• veer
    15 years ago

CMK the Cranford that I am referring to IS the one with Judi Dench. They added the extra 'stories' to bulk it out.
    Over here we didn't watch it on TV as a film but as hour-long episodes shown over several (maybe six) weeks. This is the usual way for these types of dramas to be televised.

No I didn't watch Tess despite some of it having been shot in this area. I find Hardy so miserable, especially this one . . . although nothing is quite so depressing as Jude the Obscure.

• carolyn_ky
    15 years ago

I read all three of the Cranford books after the TV production because I liked it so much. I think the TV program was better than any single one of the books. By incorporating the different characters, it became more of a village story than the books were.

We got it as a Masterpiece Theater production on the Public Broadcasting System, and I believe it was shown in three episodes. I adore Judi Dench.

• friedag
    15 years ago

The newest version of Tess of the D'Urbervilles is set to be shown on MASTERPIECE CLASSICS on PBS in two 2-hour episodes, commencing 4 January 2009. See link below for more info.

I caught an installment when I was in England and wished I could have seen the rest. It looked, from what I saw, to be a more detailed adaptation than either the A&E version of the 1990s or Roman Polanski's film. I found a couple of the young actors rather annoying, including the one playing Tess -- she wasn't very expressive, in my opinion, but maybe she was better in other parts. But the older actors seemed well cast, including the wonderful Anna Massey as Mrs D'Urberville. Yep, Tess and most of Hardy's books are real downers -- Little Father Time in Jude, oh mercy!! But I have a real soft spot for Tess. I guess I first read it at exactly the right time for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tess on Masterpiece

• smallcoffee
    15 years ago

Like many, reading for me is an escape. I think it's great christin, the way you have been pursuing the classics, and also admire those who make and stick to their goals! My primary goal is to find books that provide a positive message. My work is stressful, and my reading material needs to provide hope as well as a some relief from life. I always need to be "in a book" so that I can think about it when I get stressed. For those considering "And Ladies of the Club" I consider this to be probably my favorite book ever, and one that has held up to 4 readings for me. I'd like to read "Bleak House" after enjoying the Masterpiece Theatre series so much. I'll have to think about "Tess" since I know how it ends!

Original Author
    15 years ago

-Kay, nice to hear from you again! Did your reading group accept your idea of African American related literature for next year?

-friedag, thanks for the link. After veer first mentioned that Masterpiece was doing 'Tess', I looked it up on their site because I was curious to see who thier cast was. I'm not sure why, but several of thier choices surprised me.
    CMK

• kkay_md
    15 years ago

Hi CMK--yes, my book group did accept my idea of African-American themed books for a year, but most of the fiction offerings were shot down. We currently have enough readings to take us through April/May, and we need to add more fiction.

This group of women is very wary of fictional tragedy, sorrow, or violence. They prefer short works. And they prefer a female perspective or author. So it was no go on Faulkner's Intruder in the Dust, no takers on Huckleberry Finn, they eschewed Morrison's A Mercy... We agreed to tackle the job again in the spring.

In the meantime, I am quite enjoying Dreams from My Father. My other book group is reading Motherless Brooklyn, so I have my work cut out for me!

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider