SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_694070844

How do I hide my uneven ceiling?

HU-694070844
3 years ago

I am doing some kitchen renovations to my 1950s built home. Some of the work involved removing a column and soffit which I hired someone to remove. I’m still in the middle of the renovations but the soffit removal revealed an uneven ceiling gradient that is bothering me.

The high point of the ceiling starts on the left (reference point is the opening) and then it gradually gets shorter by 2in by the time the you reach the right hand side of the opening. I’ve already ensured that the actual opening itself is level so the ceiling is the issue. I asked the contractor I hired what could be done to fix this and he said the ceiling is just uneven and that he’d have to fix the ceiling which would be a lot of work and money so that option is out.

I guess the soffit was hiding this uneven ceiling the whole time and now the light that reaches that corner has revealed it. I actually really love the openness the removals gave the kitchen but the uneven ceiling (which I also just incited is on the other side of the opening wall too) is going to bother me.

With all that said, what can I do to hide the uneven ceiling without fixing the ceiling? I’m thinking that there may be some painting technique or some other hack I could possibly use?

I originally planned to paint the walls an off white creamy color and the ceilings a bright white color but I think I may need to revisit this decision. Here’s what I have thought of so far:

1. Paint the ceiling and walls the same color to hide the uneven ceiling and wall joint
  2. Add some type of decorative crown molding. (I don’t really want crown molding because I don’t think it’ll go well with the design theme I chose.)
  3. Add an open cabinet or fill the space with some decoration like a faux plant to distract the eye from the corner

Thanks in advance for your help! I’ve attached some before and after pictures picture of the opening and soffit.

Comments (6)