SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_108477104

Where to put laundry and water heater in a tiny 1 car garage?

l s
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I moved into a 1949 home where the garage still has the original garage door and concrete double utility sink. The kitchen stove flue was left behind when the previous owners remodeled the kitchen, the dryer vents into garage, and the laundry hookup is to tap water from the utility sink faucet. The water heater is now leaking and needs replacing so this is a good time to configure the "laundry room" layout.

I'd like to get the dryer to vent outside and have a utility sink. Other than knowing I want that old kitchen flue removed, I have been going in circles and need help with the layout.

Water heater options I've toyed with: 1) I thought tankless was the answer but the plumber said they don't save that much space and I may be taking cold showers if CA's PGE has brown outs, 2) get another tank and keep its current location, 3) get another tank and move it to the corner to open up the area but I like having the shelf by the kitchen door so I can easily get things.

Sink and washer/dryer: 1) remove the concrete sink and put the washer and dryer in its place so there is a shorter distance for the dryer vent to the exterior, and put the sink on the inside wall between the chimney and water heater, or 2) keep the concrete sink, as it is an antique, and stack the water & dryer on the inside wall between the chimney and water heater (but this increases the dryer vent distance to the outside)......the living room is other side of the inside wall.

My preference is side by side washer/dryer as I think about servicing and ease of reach.....I would love a "mud area" for your coats and shoes when you come in from the garden, but there is only so much space in the garage.

What are your thoughts and any suggestions for laundry/water heater layout?

Comments (15)