SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathleen_smith6227819

Expecting an increase in Covid here

Kathsgrdn
3 years ago

Our town paper reported they had cancelled the Burgoo Festival for next month. But then this past weekend they had a "dining" party downtown with all the restaurants, food trucks and live music. We're currently at 114 known cases and one death from way back in March or April. 2nd week in September they are having another big festival with live music and food trucks downtown. The only change is no blow up bouncy house for the kids. Last year's festival according to our paper between 5000-7000 people came! I just don't get it. Massive stupidity and disregard for human life.

I went to Walmart the other day, 4 employees outside making sure people had masks on. When I got inside, though, multiple people walking around without them. I wasn't surprised. I was disappointed that the store didn't tell them they had to put them back on or leave.

Will be going back to delivery groceries. I don't see an end to the pandemic anytime soon. It's just depressing.

Comments (153)

• lucillle
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Let's turn this around, Elmer since you feel that you are the expert in all things medical, what is your degree in and how many years of medical experience do you have?????

Raye, it is not that one needs credentials to talk about medical issues. You did not read Elmer's entire comment, below is the part you passed over:

You've had so many off the wall comments that contradict any suggestion that you know what you're talking about.

You say you passed boards in microbiology and yet you seem perfectly OK with the concept of a sick, infectious child in the workplace. There seems to be a bit of cognitive dissonance going on there.

• nickel_kg
    3 years ago

Not attacking, but asking -- Raye, what's the rest of the story? How did your employer respond to your complaint about the sick child in the workplace? (eta: was the cot in a separate room?) Did the other employees welcome any new policy or procedure? Did anyone make you feel ashamed for raising the issue at the time? And today, you think you would/should have not spoken up at all? (You don't have to answer if you don't want to.)

General comment: man, I'd love to pass a law that anytime anyone uses the term "rights" they also MUST USE the term "responsibilities." As in, it's my right to (blank) therefore it's my responsibility to (etc). And compassion. Why can't we make compassion and cooperation mandatory. *sigh*

• Related Discussions

Expected increases?

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi thanks for the input. WMoore, would you believe I don't have any of those three. Except Ascent to Heaven which is a wonderful iris all the way around, fab. grower, increases and blooms, so gorgous. Jain, are those increases on just one new rhizome? Yikes, I would not know what to do with that many. Randy thanks for the OK on things. I do hope to get 4 or 5 each. I will write back after my digging time in Sept and let you know how they do. Anyone else with an input would be appreciated. Sis] P.S. I'd like to drop a picture in but I don't see a button for attachments.
    ...See More

COVID death related to Sturgis rally

Q

Comments (15)
    I have read that 30-32 (depending on the news outlet) of the 65 people who attended the Millinocket wedding tested positive post event. The person who died did not attend but acquired the virus from someone who did attend. There has been quite a bit of coverage of the story over the last 10 days-2 weeks. . There have been reports that Dr Scott Atlas, one of over two dozen Coronavirus Task Force members, has promoted a 'herd immunity strategy'. Atlas's response to that charge: “There's news, there’s opinion and then there’s overt lies -- and that was one of those overt lies.” So we have sworn testimony from the accused. Who are the accusers? Are they real people who have taken the stand or are they anonymous sources? If they are anonymous, we don't even know if they are real or if they are fictional characters created to tell a story. I would be profoundly shocked to learn that the term 'herd immunity' has NOT been used by multiple members of the task force. 'Herdimmunity' is not a dirty word. There are at least two ways to achieve herd immunity--naturally acquired is one. Vaccine acquired is the other. Herd immunity is a good thing. That is what we should all want because 'limiting' the virus' is like trying to herd cats. You can sedate some of the cats (lockdown) but you can't make them comatose. And you can't sedate all the cats, the trucker cats, the grocery store cats, the health worker cats, the migrant farm worker cats or the rebel cats who are immune to sedation. Sedated cats just move slower but they are still cats. Somehow over the months, 'flatten the curve' (slow the spread) has morphed into some people thinking that eliminating the spread, eliminating the virus, is a realistic objective. That is wishful thinking because it isn't going to happen.
    ...See More

What do you think the Covid situation will be in mid-August 2021

Q

Comments (39)
    Lets follow the SCIENCE. The vaccine is here. Age is only one factor in receiving it--job factors heavily. Immunity from this vaccine and having recovered from COVID is unknown as this is all to soon. The other saving grace on the horizon is a treatment. The Washington crowd getting ill before the election all received the new treatment that is in clinical trials right now. It's out of the Lab my youngest works for. The problem is TIME. It is still in clinical trials--so far they are getting fabulous results but safety says finish the trials. Once the treatment is in place and the vaccine is like seasonal flu people will be treated...things will go back to full normal. WHEN will this all be firmly in place is anyone's guess. We are living in the middle of a time of learning about something NEW. I would not personally put huge amounts of money down on travel that cannot be recovered until the treatment is available and I have not heard the timeline on the trials. YOU may well be safe but that does not mean venues are open, travel is as it was. I would like to know who this 50% of "medical workers" are. People you cannot read a stat like that and not ask to see THE SPECIFICS of the survey! If they are polling uneducated, minimum wage earners who work as nursing assistants, personal care assistance, home health aids then yes I believe it. Many of them truly believe in the paranoia of chips being put in these vaccines. It is also true this is very fast for a vaccine to be developed. It can take DECADES for the medical ramifications of drugs on the human body to appear. It is for sure a gamble of a certain degree. How much of a gamble, well what options at this point do we have but to trust in 2021 vaccine development is to a point we are safe when they tell us we are.
    ...See More

Covid/Flu... smh

Q

Comments (35)
    I have a coworker who will call me to complain that he went somewhere and there were some people in there with no mask on. I ask him "Were you wearing one?" And after a pause he will say, "Well, NO but I forgot it in my car, and I was not going to walk all the way back to get it, and I am the one at risk, I am 71 and diabetic, and if anyone says anything to me about not wearing one I'll tell them off." So he thinks its important for everyone else to wear a mask, just not himself. It's a conversation that we have over and over. He will spout the importance of everyone wearing masks, but really doesn't think it matters if he wears one or not. What do you do with that? I just roll my eyes and change the subject.
    ...See More
  • Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

"I studied in college and passed boards in microbiology, that covers
    human pathogens including bacteriology, mycology, parasitology and
    virology."

So you were a lab tech?

• Suzieque
    3 years ago

Raye, I just can’t help but think that your posts are simply sarcasm. No employer in their right mind would knowingly let an employee bring in a sick child repeatedly. If so, they should have been reported to the Board of Health. As you are a former medical professional, you should know that.

And your response was that it only impacted your ability to see your parents is incredible to me. So how long did you go without seeing your parents? Days? Weeks? Months? Boy oh boy, how I’d love to have the chance to get together with my parents again. They are gone now and the thought of giving up time with them because some insensitive person brought their sick kid into work, therefore indirectly risking my parents lives it’s just beyond me. If it meant I couldn’t see my parents wouldn’t have stayed in that job after the first time the employee brought the kid in. And yes, I do sympathize that the child was sick and that she had to work. But that is unthinkable. Are you sure it’s a true story?

• nickel_kg
    3 years ago

My mother was a lab tech. Before the womens' lib movement, a woman's choice of profession was effectively limited by our culture. She once told me she'd have liked to be a pharmacist but it never occurred to her that was open to her, despite her four year degree in Biology from University of Wisconsin. She loved lab work. Smart woman, good under pressure, loved it when the doctors needed something "stat" and she could deliver with the speed and accuracy they relied on. Lab techs can be rightfully proud of the part they play in keeping us all safe and healthy. They are one piece of a system.

Yeah, I know you didn't mean it like that. But that's how I took it.

• User
    3 years ago

My microbiology classes had medical personnel from various disciplines in it including some that were lab techs.

Nickel - I went about two years with rarely seeing my parents during the time the employee worked there and one died during that time and the other a few years after. And I absolutely should have stopped and thought about the impact of my selfishness and lack of compassion for the employee and child would have before I said anything. There were others in the office that supported the employee and I could have chosen to be one of them. If I ever saw that person again I owe them a big apology. Last I heard they had to move in with a sibling in another state.

The reason I brought up that situation was to show that we can chose to protect those few that are at high risk as I did with my parents.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

No nickel, the question I asked (which is still being evaded) was because this user represented herself to be a "medical professional" many times over. But, as i said, her repeated misunderstanding and seemingly misinformed attitudes of simple things clear to others without medical training, over these past many months, made such characterization very unlikely. Now we know why, her prior characterizations of her background were misleading and mostly not accurate. Refer to my comment above that is followed immediately next by olychick's comment followed by sephia's comment. The song lyrics are great!

• User
    3 years ago

Elmer - you need a lot of help in phrasing an apology and admitting that you are wrong.

• olychick
    3 years ago

I don't really care what someone online claims to "be" in real life. But giving an example that seems to be downright outrageous in an attempt to come up with something analogous to the discussion about covid19, then claiming to be educated in infectious diseases, just falls flat on the believability scale.

I cannot imaging anyone being allowed to bring a sick child into a workplace (repeatedly), risking infecting everyone. Nor would I imagine anyone knowing anything about contagion of our more common illnesses alter their lifestyle and contact with family members for an extended period to accommodate that.Nor can I imagine a workplace where everyone just smiles and hopes THEY don't have to stay home sick and lose their ability to earn a living!

If sick leave didn't cover her for the amount of time she needed to care for her child, why didn't other employees donate their sick leave to help her out?

There are programs to help people in these exact situations, public assistance being one of them. It's not the best, but it can allow someone to stay home to care for a sick child.

Sorry but this is just not a believable story.

• nickel_kg
    3 years ago

Raye you are a compassionate person, and that's good. You, like all of us, make the best decision you can in the circumstances. For you, the trade-off was keeping that particular job with its associated risk versus regular visits with your aging parents. Maybe some/more/many of us would have made the same call, if we'd been in your same exact shoes.

Bottom line for me, with regard to Covid19, is that I don't equate my desire to physically distance myself from infectious people with selfishness or lack of compassion. On the contrary, it's because of my compassion for my whole community that I follow the social distancing guidelines. It's because of my empathy for the social and economic upheaval this pandemic is causing to so many younger people in my community, that I want it to end as soon as possible -- which means following social distancing guidelines. So when I hear people advocate to "just isolate the elderly, the sick, etc" and let everyone else live as if the virus didn't matter ... well, no, I object. It's a pipe dream to think "the rest of us" can push so many of our community aside, ignore the virus and return to normal, and life will be good. I don't think life works like that.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

I am not sure why some keep harping at parents or seniors being at "high risk", seemingly to ignore anyone else. Yes, they may be at a higher risk of contracting a more debilitating and potentially fatal case of covid, but they are by no means the only demographic that is suffering. When are we going to realize that this virus does not acknowledge youth or vigor or an otherwise health life style and does not discriminate against who it can and does infect. Kids, young adults and middle aged, healthy individuals are being infected and dying in alarming numbers. Why should they be considered a lesser risk and not be afforded the same sort of safeguards that some seem to think should only be reserved for seniors so the rest of us can go on "living life"??

What an incredibly selfish and unrealistic assessment of this situation!!

Personally, I find some of the comments here from those alleging to have some sort of medical background to be so without merit and validation as to be safely - and wisely - ignored!

• User
    3 years ago

Gardengal - it had nothing to do with age - one of my parents had an impaired immune system due to cancer treatment.

The company employees had normal immune systems so we weren't at risk of getting anything from the child.

Nickel - thanks I appreciate that.

As to sick time for the parent - the child was sick more that 50% of the time, probably closer to 80% of the work week, he was born with an organ failure that caused him to be more susceptible to illness that normal.

• olychick
    3 years ago

People with normal immune systems catch infectious diseases all the time! Saying everyone was ok being exposed to things like strep throat or other things doesn't ring true. Weren't there other people in the office with children who might worry about taking home something to their own children? Kids have normal immune systems generally, yet viruses spread like wildfire in schools every year.

People with normal immune systems, young, healthy people are dying from covid19, too.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

Raye, this is your statement: "Since we don't know who has the virus, it's much like that sickly child, protect those that need protection and let those of us that are healthy live our lives. "

Who determines who "needs protection"? Since there is no mystical demarcation line of who is at risk and who is not, everyone should be protected!! Why is this so hard to grasp?

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

Also wondering how long ago this studying was?

Many things have changed in how infectious disease, et al. is understood now.

And since COVID-19 is novel, researchers are learning more every day.

• joyfulguy
    3 years ago

While Raye did say that there was little experience of other employees having become ill from the child's (occasional? frequent?) presence with varying illnesses ...

... I wonder how the boss might have reacted if about three of the half dozen or so had become ill from the child at the same time?

After the crucial time dealt with, however effectively ... some change in the rules of operation, possibly?

I agree with the earlier advice saying that it isn't only for me that I should act wisely, but I owe it to the welfare of my community to avoid acting in risky ways which could well cause serious disruption in that community.

ole joyful

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

"Elmer - you need a lot of help in phrasing an apology and admitting that you are wrong."

Huh?

It seemed pretty clear to me and many others that you've misrepresented yourself in the past, a number of times. That was pretty obvious along the way from your comments and you've partially confirmed that now with the added but still incomplete facts of your limited background.

We're maybe not having the same conversation? I honestly don't care, your comments on repeated threads frequently don't seem rational or demonstrate an understanding of the topics. As with this sick child detour. I expect it will continue like that and that's fine.

• User
    3 years ago

Joyful - I never became sick from the child (he was there everyday he was sick) and don't remember anyone else every doing so. I was the only one that raised any concerns about the child's presence. It was a small company with six to eight employees. Only the boss had a separate office, the rest of us where in one large room. None of us had children at that time either.

Gardengal - we make decisions everyday on how much risk we are willing to accept. The CDC has specified what it considers high risk and I don't fall into any of those categories, so I consider myself as low risk, if you do fall into any of those categories than yes, protect yourself.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

Low risk is NOT no risk!! And at the risk of beating a dead horse, low risk individuals - such as yourself - are no less immune from contracting...or spreading....the virus than anyone else.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

gardengal, don't waste your time.

• bleusblue2
    3 years ago

I for one am sick (haha?) of hearing that those at risk are somehow expendable. Let me give a great big whooping cheer to you who are "living your lives" and want to get on with it while the rest of us hold you back with our requirements. I fall into the age category. Several of my family have "conditions" that put them at risk. They live in the US. I don't. If they don't catch the virus they have many productive years ahead of them. My young relatives aren't immune. Nobody is a statistic -- these are people I love. Lucky you if you have nobody to worry about but yourself.

• lucillle
    3 years ago

and the child is brought to work when ill (for example the child even came in with strep throat exposing all of us).

The company employees had normal immune systems so we weren't at risk of getting anything from the child.

Raye are you saying you think normal people are immune from strep?

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

Successful topic deflection!

To get back to it, here's an article about my state:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/polk-county-florida-school-bartow-senior-high-is-what-a-covid-19-fiasco-in-the-making-looks-like

"MIAMI—At the end of the first day of classes last week, dozens of teens lined up to board school buses parked outside the entrance of Bartow Senior High, the main secondary school in the central Florida city bearing the same name. Despite being outdoors, and thus perhaps less likely to serve as a launching pad for mass contagion, the large number of students crammed together, some sans face masks, prompted a 12th grader to snap three photos and two short videos of the crowd.

The same day, Ashlee Caraway, the senior’s older sister who graduated from Bartow High last year, posted the photos and tagged an unofficial Facebook page for the school. At the top of the post, the 19-year-old wrote: #COVID19 !! ...

...Bartow High’s first week offers a window into the perilous restart for Polk County Public Schools, which is responsible for overseeing 150 schools and more than 100,000 students. Polk has the ninth most COVID-19 cases out of the state’s 68 counties and boasts a pediatric positivity rate of 16.4 percent, according to the most recent Florida Department of Health update. That’s nearly 10 points higher than Polk’s rolling overall average positivity rate of 6.5 percent between Aug. 19 to Aug. 28, and a higher pediatric rate than five neighboring counties, including Orange and Hillsborough, which have larger populations.

In a press call last month, Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Director Dr. Robert Redfield said schools should stay closed if the “the percent positivity rate within the community is greater than 5 percent.” Instead, Polk public schools and other Florida school districts in counties with higher positivity rates are implementing measures to quarantine pupils and staffers who come into contact with the infected. If they want to take more extreme measures, district officials have to consult with Florida Education Commissioner Richard Cocoran, whose department is currently appealing a court ruling that deemed his executive order forcing schools to offer in-person learning unconstitutional. ..."

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

More numbskulls making people suffer for their ignorance and stupidity. Sorry.

• wildchild2x2
    3 years ago

Simply being aware that someone is ill in a shared area increases your chances of not becoming ill.

My daughter actually works for one of the most severely locked down counties in the state. A few weeks ago she had strep and was told to come in anyway at risk of losing her job even though she had not been tested to eliminate Covid 19. She is essential you see. Once on antibiotics strep is not considered a highly contagious illness after 24 hours anyway. Like most viruses it is passed while asymptomatic or in the early stages. So an ill child kept a social distance from other co workers would not be much of a threat. Children pass viruses more readily because they do not social distance when ill and don't practice good hygiene avoiding cross contamination. If sick people made others sick as easily as some of you believe then how do you think doctors manage to practice medicine without catching all the bugs they are exposed to?

• jemdandy
    3 years ago

To: Annie Deighnaugh

The chart you posted about comparing Covid-19 deaths of various countries is a very correct method of reporting deaths, and has become the preferred one. However, one should realize this is not the number of deaths; Its the death rate. The fine print accompanying this chart says it is deaths per 100,000 people. Its a ratio of how much of the population have died (reported cases). To calculate the reported Covid-19 deaths, divide the country's population by 100,000 and multiply by deaths per 100,000. Re-plot the data and it will appear very differently. The data points for countries with large populations will show an increase compared to small population countries.

Comparing death rates is a much better comparison than total number of deaths since population size is has a big influence on number of deaths.

• jemdandy
    3 years ago

About statistics:

An associate of mine claimed that the death rate has not changed for a very long time. Its still 1 per person.

• lily316
    3 years ago

The Sturgis idiots have caused a giant leap of Covid cases in the Dakotas.

• jakkom
    3 years ago

>>Certainly those with Covid or flu symptoms should stay home but we don't know how contagious those that have asymptomatic Covid are.>>

Well, there's always this example, pre-mask:

" 61 people attended a choir
    practice in Skagit County, Washington in March 2020. None of them were
    symptomatic. They avoided contact and had lots of hand sanitizer. They were
    there for two and a half hours. 32 of them were confirmed infected and another
    20 had symptoms. Two died. "

- quora.com discussion thread

My note: I have NYT and WashPost articles that discuss the Skagit County "hot spot", but in all-text form. You can Google for it and other links if you're interested. A quora.com member got this graphic from the CDC website and posted it. I thought it was a good visual way to sum up a 2000 word tl;dr article that many people wouldn't read.

=======

Masks are mandatory where I live. Are they a nuisance? Yes. Do I like them? No. Would I love to go back to wining and dining around Northern CA on extended car trips as we used to. You betcha!

But I have older relatives. I have teen relatives - who, it turns out, are just as susceptible to COVID as adults. (It's only younger children under 10 or 11 who are so often infectious but asymptomatic).

I also have three close friends who are seriously immunocompromised. We are out running errands once or twice a week. We can't risk them with close contact. Outdoor visits and lots of emails, only.

So......I wear a mask. I've tried different ones and am still searching for the "ideal" one. But I wear one when we're out, even if it's not comfortable. It won't kill me.

I've seen a lot of changes in my life in 69 years. This is just another one. If I'm not only surviving, but financially secure, physically healthy, mentally acute, and still see my family/friends (albeit less often and from a 6' distance), I don't see that I have anything to complain about.

And one plus about not spending money traveling - we've been able to be much more generous to charitable causes over the last few months.

• maifleur03
    3 years ago

Interesting the mention of strep above since I have been wondering today if the Covid virus will be like what strep used to be pre-antibiotics. Some doctors realized that sometimes people with strep would later develop heart problems along with other body conditions.

• lucillle
    3 years ago

So an ill child kept a social distance from other co workers would not be much of a threat.

You know that is baloney, because you yourself in the very same paragraph say

Children pass viruses more readily because they do not social distance when ill and don't practice good hygiene avoiding cross contamination.

You cannot rely on children to keep distance, it is dangerous to coworkers to have ill children close enough to infect and your workplace isfar from an ideal place to rest and recover for the child as well. Presumably your attention will be taken by the job you are being paid to do, and not on your child who is ill.

I'm amazed at the disinformation being passed by those who are determined to rationalize their poor Covid behaviors.

• wildchild2x2
    3 years ago

Apples and oranges Lucille. We are referring to a single ill child in an office with adults no other children. Once again you're taking my words and applying them to different situations than the one we are discussing, a single child brought to work buy an adult that will be around other adults. Not that hard to social distance in that situation.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    3 years ago

Wildchild....

You asked.... If sick people made others sick as easily as some of you believe... understand this is a new virus and one we don't have experience with. We are learning as we go, some more slowly than others...

"While COVID-19 and flu viruses are thought to spread in similar ways,
    COVID-19 is more contagious
    than flu. Also, COVID-19 has been observed to have more superspreading
    events than flu. This means the virus that causes COVID-19 can quickly
    and easily spread to a lot of people and result in continuous spreading
    among people as time progresses."

CDC August 31 2020

• lucillle
    3 years ago

We are referring to a single ill child in an office with adults no other children. Once again you're taking my words and applying them to different situations than the one we are discussing, a single child brought to work buy an adult that will be around other adults. Not that hard to social distance in that situation.

Wildchild, if you took the trouble to read the actual post of the situation you described, you will see that the poster (Raye) DID think it might have been a problem to social distance a single child, which is why she changed her own behavior and stopped visiting her parents so that she would not have the possibility of infecting them.

I wasn't happy that I could no longer visit my parents due to weekly exposure to the child and let my boss know this.

• User
    3 years ago

If anything our numbers are going lower. After two weeks of in class teaching the nearest college (population >20,000) is reporting a positive rate of 0.0015 on campus. The state daily death rate has been in the single digits for over two months now.

• llucy
    3 years ago

Where do you live Raye Smith?

• User
    3 years ago

llucy - I have a stalker so I don't reveal personal information online

• llucy
    3 years ago

The state daily death rate has been in the single digits for over two months now - is not personal information. What state has those stats?

• User
    3 years ago

The single digit death rate isn't personal but what state I live in is when I had to move to a different state to get away from that person.

• bleusblue2
    3 years ago

Raye -- this is terrible and I understand that any information you give out might lead back to you -- but surely "Raye Smith" is not your name?

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    3 years ago

I'm glad your colleges are doing better Raye, that's not the case here. Big surge in cases at WSU in E Wash. A couple of days ago the figure was 22.% and most in the age group of 18-25....students. They've begun issuing tickets for non compliance of Covid guidelines.

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Read the local obits in the paper yesterday. A man died after contracting covid 19 according to his obit. He was a hospice patient too so they didn't count him in the numbers, at least not from the current total of 1 death from way back in March or April. Our state reviews the deaths on a case by case basis to determine if they should be counted in the numbers, I don't know what the time frame is on adding them but the governor says they have a bunch of deaths yesterday waiting for review . Yesterday was one of the highest total of new cases in the state and I'm pretty sure the highest deaths in one day, 18.

It's been almost two weeks since the festival downtown that I mentioned when I started this post. Our cases locally haven't gone up that much yet. They're having another festival this weekend.

• lily316
    3 years ago

Colleges are closing down right and left around here.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    3 years ago

Lily, which state are you in? Hopefully most of the colleges stay open.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

Was just listening to NPR earlier and On Point was discussing the fact that the larger universities with more money can afford lots of testing to allow them to stay open, while smaller ones with less money just cannot.

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    3 years ago

UK in Lexington has hundreds of new cases. They aren't closing down, though. I also doubt all those "kids" are quarantining themselves.

• Bookwoman
    3 years ago

Via NBC: Indiana University is calling for the closure of all fraternity and sorority houses on its flagship campus in Bloomington due to a growing spread of the coronavirus that has already put 30 of the 40 houses under quarantine, university officials say.

• llucy
    3 years ago

No closures yet in Ohio despite the rising cases in colleges, and the K-12's that have only been open 2 weeks or less. 50 new deaths in 24 hours from covid.

Governor's presser today urges people to social distance and wear masks as he does every week. And he warns to expect higher numbers from people gathering for the holiday as well as back to school.

So many people determined to "live life as normal". So many falling ill, hospitalized, and dying for that "normal".

• lily316
    3 years ago

What I meant by colleges closing down is that most are going online , students must stay in their rooms and not congregate and of course, masks are worn everywhere. I don't think any sent students home. They just shut down all co-mingling with students confined to their rooms. A sad situation for the kids, for sure.

• maifleur03
    3 years ago

SUNY is just one of dozens of colleges that are closing their on campus housing and sending students home. Do a brief check and you can find several listing of different colleges that are doing the same. https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/SUNY-Oneonta-first-state-school-to-send-students-15540827.php