SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20096495

Covid/Flu... smh

User
3 years ago

Alberta has these restrictions going on right now so I can't have my sister over and we can't meet at a coffee shop. I'm okay with that, I don't really want anyone inside my house. But I don't get why we can't have coffee in a restaurant where everyone is seated at a table. Not only that, she is a senior and her VERY disabled grandson who is very compromised lives with her and she will not do anything to possibly bring this virus home.

We met at the mall on Tuesday because I haven't seen her in almost a year. And we live less than 10 minutes apart. My nephew (on my husbands side) was also there with his wife so we stopped to chat. I said, "where's your mask?" They're mandatory in all public spaces here. He said, "don't get me started! I believe in this virus but it's just the flu!" My sister (with her mask on) agreed!! I looked at his wife who was wearing hers and said "but it's not a flu! And why not err on the side of caution?" His wife agreed with me! He's went off on this flu thing and I said, "You do know my daughter is recovering from it and my niece works in a funeral home and see's a lot more deaths now!" and he still said, "it's just the flu" and my sister who is my nieces mother, still agreed! My sister thinks this whole pandemic is just a hoax to control us and to give some country which she wouldn't name, world domination. I said, "you honestly believe that 183 world leaders all agree to destroy the economy and kill off the population so they can be the leader of the world? You do realize this is not the first pandemic to ever hit this planet, right?" She said, "YES!"

We do agree that masks make things worse. When we weren't wearing masks our province was getting 100-200 cases a day, *if* that many. Once they became mandatory in August the #s went up as we were seeing about 2000 a day. If masks worked, why did the numbers go up? Well, partly because people social distance a lot better without a mask on. With it on they feel invincible and get in your face. Mask+social distance = 0 chance of catching the virus. So because people can't do two things at once, the province shut down half the businesses again to get those numbers back down.

I asked my daughter if she feels this is "just the flu" and boy did she get mad. NO, it's not the flu. She said she's had the flu many times. No sitting on the toilet wondering which end was going to spew first. No fever. No wanting to die. She never lost her sense of smell or taste with the flu. While she did lose her appetite for a day or so, with the flu she lost it for about a week. Her lungs felt 100% different with this virus than it does with the flu or her asthma attacks. The tingly hands. The headaches that moved daily. Sometimes hourly. She has short term memory loss now, she didn't have that 3 weeks ago. Her sense of smell comes and goes but when she can smell, she opens bottles and smells everything she can before it goes away again. Never had to do that with the flu. And yet my nephew and sister think it's all about world domination.......... smh

I left it with "I still love you". hahahaha

My daughter is back to work and even though she should be okay with the original strain (they say immune for 6 months, but that's not a given), she's worried about the new strains and wouldn't even hold a shopping basket when we took her to get groceries. She more afraid now than she was a couple weeks ago. We all wore a mask inside my car because as I told her, I love you but still don't trust you're 100% safe to be here. So now I'm nervous and hope every cough I cough is just a cough that I've had for 3 years.

Thanks for letting me ramble here. Really just need to get this all of my chest. :)

Comments (35)