Covid Vector Store

jupidupi

My husband and I got flu shots at a CVS. The pharmacists had their masks pulled down below their chins while they stood next to the counter dealing with customers. The one who gave the shots would gather each kit, no gloves, and pull her mask up each time she came from behind the counter. She did at least put on gloves before giving the shot. I mentioned my concern to the paperwork pharmacist who had a BMI of at least 30 (Hello, ventilator!) and she said, "I don't wear a mask because I have a medical condition. And I'm aware of Covid -- my daughter got it." The other pharmacist who was very pregnant had her mask pulled down. No floor markings for customer social distancing. There were about a dozen people waiting around. I was first in line, and It took about half an hour for them to process my paperwork and give me the shot. I could hardly wait to get out of there! It felt like the most Covid-risky situation I've been in since all this started.

SaveComment25Like
Comments (25)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
OklaMoni

I would have turned around and walked out. Once home, wrote to CVS headquarters and turned in my complaint.

Moni

6 Likes Save     Thanked by jupidupi
share_oh

Wow. That sounds scary! For health care professionals... smh

Save     Thanked by jupidupi
maddielee

What town? I would have left. Quickly.

1 Like Save     Thanked by jupidupi
lily316

Where's this at? I would have left immediately. We're getting ours at Rite Aid when the senior vaccine comes in. If such a situation happens there, I'll leave. We know the pharmacist and I doubt it will though.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by jupidupi
nickel_kg

Not good. I got a text from CVS letting me know they can schedule a vaccination, to minimize in-store time. But what 'corporate' says doesn't always match what 'local' does, does it.

LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

My employer decided to offer on-site flu shots again this year after surveying employee interest. I am scheduled for Oct 13. at 11:15 so I'll work on site in the morning and leave after getting the shot.

Doesn't sound like going to Walgreen or CVS would be any safer.

Elmer J Fudd

I'd call that pharmacy and ask to speak to the store's pharmacy manager. And share your views with them politely but firmly. And if you don't believe your view is given an appropriate reaction, ask for the phone number of the regional pharmacy manager.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by jupidupi
morz8

I too would have left. If they can't find an acceptable and organized way to offer the vaccine, they probably shouldn't be giving it. Your Health Department will also hear complaints, more than one or two and they may run a compliance check on the store.

sephia_wa

We all have a choice to be around people who aren't wearing masks or aren't wearing them correctly. I often read comments about people saying something about someone not wearing a mask or not wearing it correctly.

If you don't want to be around those people, don't! Like others have said, I would have turned around and walked out. CVS isn't the only place giving flu shots. Find a pharmacy who is following mask guidelines. I don't let the grocery delivery person into my home without wearing a mask. No mask and you're not entering. And I never question why someone isn't wearing a mask or why they don't wear it correctly. I don't want to hear their political BS nor do I want to hear they have a medical condition. I don't care about either. I care that I don't get Covid.

5 Likes Save     Thanked by jupidupi
jupidupi

I didn't want to walk out because they'd already input my insurance info into their computer, and I was afraid if I went elsewhere, it wouldn't allow a "second" shot. (And actually, there is no "elsewhere" for many miles. This was in tiny country town. I am currently living in a very rural situation.) Plus, when I got there, there was no line. They took forever with the paperwork. The line, such as it was, formed behind and around me.

The store itself was pretty bleak and kind of grungy, so I don't think the manager would have been much help. I emailed CVS corporate and also replied to the survey on the receipt. This was six days ago and I have heard nothing.

Save    
Uptown Gal

I got mine at a Walgreen's and they were extremely well prepared. Everyone

was masked...guidelines were on the floor, and the pharmacists and cashiers

throughout the store were wearing their masks as they went about their

business. My paper work is on file there, so easy in and easy out. I was

prepared for a longer wait...but everything was quick and smooth. One of

the reasons I started getting my shots there instead of the Dr., even in

"normal" times. I'm sorry you had such a time with yours.

OklaMoni

Jupi, good for you to contact them!

Kathsgrdn

Do you live in KY? Lol, sounds like my little town. Although, our Walgreens actually did pretty good when I got my shot. Our numbers are ticking up here. They've had two festivals and are planning another in a week or two. Insane.

llucy

We went into a Kroger store this morning because we were in the town and my mother only wanted a few things. Mistake.

Store was busy on a Friday at 10:15 am and though most folks wore masks, I was surprised at the number who didn't. The county has gone from yellow to orange for a few weeks now - I guess this might be why.

"And I never question why someone isn't wearing a mask or why they don't wear it correctly. IAadon't want to hear their political BS nor do I want to hear they have a medical condition. I don't care about either. I care that I don't get Covid."

Yep. If someone *can't * wear a mask, they are high risk for covid and shouldn't be putting themselves AND OTHERS in danger. Stay home.

This virus is not going away - hopefully businesses will better enforce their masking policies if customers complain, and stop shopping there.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by jupidupi
eld6161

I get mine always from a doctor.

maifleur03

When I received mine either last or the previous year the doctor's office was going to discontinue shots. I did receive mine at the office so apparently enough complained. However for the shingles shots and others there was a one page list you have to go to a pharmacy.

lily316

My doctor's office won't have the senior flu shot and suggested we go to the pharmacy. Rite Aid gave us our two shingle shots.

socks

I had a similar but less serious experience in a nursery. I went home and called the nursery to talk to the manager, no one answered, just music, then cut off. So I did a yelp review for them.

Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Yikes, that is horrifying. I am so sorry you had to deal with such incompetence.

lisa_fla

I’ve read that it’s best to get it in mid-October so the coverage isn't waning by mid February-March. Our Publix gives a $10GC with every flu shot so I usually go there. Instead of waiting while they process the paperwork I shop a bit so I can distance.

amylou321

I get mine on site from my employer also if I get one.

I filed a complaint with cvs on their website about 6 months ago and just heard back 3 days ago. Their response was basically "sorry,uh, we let the manager know about your complaint."

Yeah, no need, I swapped to the publix pharmacy the same day I filed the complaint.

sjerin

We went through a drive-through--Kaiser.

I'm sorry you had to experience that, Jupi. I can totally see why you stayed to see it through.

Save    
HU-178658043

I got mine at the Safeway Pharmacy. Everything went fine.

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

How nerve wracking! Thanks for the heads up.

I have to use CVS because it's the pharmacy on my plan, however we have several CVS stores in our area, so if one was like that, I could go to another. I wouldn't care if my info was already in the computer. I'd tell them to cancel it.

Last time I went for a shot, it was inside Target and everything was as safe as could be.

Save    
lily316

Our pharmacist called yesterday and said they had gotten the senior flu vaccine in so we went right down. Out doctor wasn't going to get the senior version and told us to go to the pharmacy. With the doctor, it's in and out. Here we had to fill out paperwork and wait about 25 minutes but there were no people around us and our pharmacist is a lovely Romania woman we really like. No sore arm and no side effects. Glad it's done because I am not getting a hurried COVID vaccine.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Feel-Good Home What We Need From Our Homes in the Age of COVID-19
As our homes increasingly become our refuges, find out how they can provide a better quality of life
Full Story
Working With Pros Why Interior Designers Are Essential to Society
As COVID-19 forces us to reevaluate our homes, interior designers can help us build a better world
Full Story
Sheltering at Home How Will the Coronavirus Change Our Homes?
Five architects weigh in on how COVID-19 will transform our houses and share advice on how to make homes safer
Full Story