SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mcdonald_in_canada_z6

Garden centres still operating in Ontario given Covid-19 restrictions?

mcdonald_in_canada_z6
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

To any of my fellow Ontarians: given the reduction in the list of essential businesses as of April 4, do you know what's happening with garden centres? I read the list that the government put out, but I'm not sure.

If garden centres offer online shopping and delivery, I'm pretty sure that they can operate on that basis. But many don't offer online shopping, at least not yet. Also, I am wondering whether curbside pickup will be allowed as an alternative to delivery. Maybe not, given that we are being told to leave home only for necessities, like groceries.

Box stores like Canadian Tire and Home Depot can now offer only online shopping with curbside pickup and delivery of merchandise. But I don't know how that would apply to plants. You'd have to be able to place an order for the plants in the first place, and in the case of Canadian Tire, at least, they haven't offered that before. (Canadian Tire isn't usually my first choice for plants, but last year, I got some unique stuff and some great deals there, so it's now worth a look for me.)

I'm also wondering about the seasonal garden centres at grocery stores. As I was lined up to get into Loblaws yesterday, I watched them setting up the garden centre in the parking lot. But that was a few hours before the reduced list of essential businesses was issued, so maybe they now won't be allowed to open. I'm not sure why grocery-store garden centres would be allowed to open if full-service garden centres can't.

Even if stores offer online shopping for plants, I doubt I'd buy much, if anything. I am not super keen on online shopping for plants, because I want to be able to actually check out the plants before I buy them.

Comments (10)