texas_gem

KT Table check in!

Texas_Gem
3 years ago

Let's do a check in!
1. What area/region are you in?
2. Is your area starting to reopen?
3. Are you social distancing?
4. What do you see others doing in your area?
My answers are as follows
1. Texas Panhandle
2. Yes, my area is starting to reopen
3. Yes I am social distancing
4. The stores are crowded, the vast majority of people aren't wearing face masks or social distancing. I've seen and know of countless people disregarding the recommendations and still visiting others, having playdates, going to each other's houses, etc.
Of course, only time will tell but I do wonder what our situation will look like in this region in a few weeks given the overall laissez faire approach.
How about you?
What are things like in your area?

Comments (79)

• matti5
    3 years ago

I'm in SF Bay Area, so echoing what Socks posted. Even though we are in Phase 2, things are still very limited. Grocery shopping is much easier as the panic buying has greatly lessened, barely any lines. Everyone is masked. There are always those people that can't follow the simple rules of social distancing in public places and also at home. Since the start of this order, my next door neighbor has continued with 2x weekly house cleaning service, weekly yard maintenance and friends of her kids hanging out all day, no masks, no social distancing.

Texas_Gem thanked matti5
  • OklaMoni
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Oklahoma, in the middle, Oklahoma City

We are in stage 2. NOPE, that is WRONG... We are still in STAGE 1. Beauty shops/barber shops are open, but only by appointment and then only a few at the time. Golf courses are open. Some shops in the mall are open, I heard... I personally don't go there normally anyhow.

Less than half of the people wear masks in stores, grocery, HD/Lowes etc. Everyone does at the post office.

Yes! I have seen 3 people in less than 10 feet distance. Not all at once. Went to the lake, where a couple of friends (that live together) were camping. Brought my own food, and tent. Had a lovely time, including a bike ride with Tammy.

Had a picnic lunch with a friend, sat at opposite corners of the picnic blanket. It felt GREAT to see her.

I ride my bike. So far in May, once every single day. No, I don't wear a mask while riding, but have one along.... cause one never knows.

Yes, I do wear them at the grocery and the post office.

In order to not forget (I walk or bike most places) I now have a mask living at my front door and at my door to the garage. I swap them out with a fresh one when I get home. Yes, I have multiple. Yes, I sew my own, and have sewn to give away.

I miss hanging out with friends very very much... but none of us feel right about getting together.

Here are to many people in defiance, and to many people that are broke, and need things open.

I am lucky, that I am retired, and have a regular income.

But my stimulus check just went to a new water heater... and no it did not pay for the whole thing. I am handy, but just not strong enough to do this kine of job by myself.

Moni

PS the local bike and walking trails are way to busy for me to feel like I can use them. I am very glad that I am ok with being by myself, and riding solo on roads is comfortable to me.

Texas_Gem thanked OklaMoni
  • Related Discussions

Check out this unique table!!!

Q

Comments (5)
    The table shown by mama_goose has a very nice finish on top and the remainder of the table appears little used. Is this the original finish or has it been re-done? A table like this one when used for dining will show wear on top of the feet where folks absentmindely shuffle their feet on the legs, especially if youth have dined therein. The feet of mama_goose's table shows no such scuffing.
    ...See More

Check out these tables

Q

Comments (6)
    Thanks for finding this, Yacht. You know I am crazy about that big ol' bunny with the huge ears! I've never seen one like him before! hugs, Karen
    ...See More

Just checking in with my KT friends~~

Q

Comments (31)
    Greetings again, phoggie/Mary. In my earlier post I appeared to be unaware of some info that you appeared to have posted a couple of hours earlier, so much of what I said was not useful. If you want to take a good portion of the things from your current home to furnish the one where you will live in future, I have a suggestion that might be relevant. Son's sister/my daughter moved from near Toronto, on the north side of Lake Ontario, to Phoenix a few years ago, and son and I were discussing yesterday the cost of moving her goods: I'd thought that it was something over a dollar a pound, and he said he thought closer to a dollar and a half ... ... so I suggested that we should have bought her an old school bus, then we could have packed it for her, she could have driven it down there, and sold it after getting her things moved into her new place. Or, if the rules governing licensing required really different criteria, buying one there and driving it up, loading it and driving it back. Perhaps you might be interested in buying an old school bus, packing your goods into it and driving it to Burlington. Then check with (former)/friends to try to find some farm or rural person nearby who'd rent you some space at nominal fee to park it for a time, until you have found a place to live on a permanent basis. When one considers the monthly/quarterly cost of renting a storage space (or annual - and which period does one choose, up-front?), using the school bus idea might not be such a bad idea. There'd be an additional benefit of handling all of the stuff twice instead of four times: saved effort (says a guy with a streak of laziness) and less possibility of damage/breakage. I'd thought of suggesting that, should the contract for sale of your current house fall through, that it might be a good idea to do some checking as to whether that arrangement had been satisfactory. But when I heard that your former husband's son was in a related business, I was fairly sure that he'd have been aware enough of the local housing market to have ensured that you weren't being taken. With regard to the lady who has the house that she's talking of sharing ... how about finding a reason, whether real or imagined/manufactured, to visit there for a few days, or, probably better, a week or so, so that you could stay at her place and get an idea of her lfestyle, including an idea, even if vague, of the financial end, and whether you might feel comfortable with it. ole joyfuelled ... who doesn't have to buy gas for a school bus P.s. I've been saying for some time that it makes sense for several singles, especially senior ones, to live together. Advantages: -intellectual stimulation helps keep Alzheimer's at bay, -shared chores would enable one to continue to live independently longer, -each person would eat better than tea and toast for some meals if living alone, -increased safety: if someone has immediate trauma, as long as one can call, there's someone there to help, plus -they could triage: decide whether we can handle this situation in-house; or we call this person's caregiver to handle the situation; or call 9-1-1- ... right now!, -there's be a major cost saving over buying a smaller home/condo, renting one's own apt., etc. ... and a major one over entering a residential home and certainly over a nursing home. That cost saving would enable them to afford to have someone come in to take care of much of the cleaning and housekeeping. o j ... who lives alone
    ...See More

Check out my new table!

Q

Comments (13)
    Ha ha, Breezy you're gonna drive me up the wall! LOL. The photographer just needs to find some sunny day to come. Even spring in Michigan is gray. I'm too much of a tease for everyone on this board :-P I feel bad! The whole thing has been done for months. Thanks for the compliments.
    ...See More
  • matthias_lang
    3 years ago

Missouri

Not really. Governor has ended SAH and encourages business to open, but my city has had its own SAH orders and businesses closed for much longer than the state's orders and will continue until May 18. Guidances for re-openings have been put out by the city a couple days ago, but I have not read them.

Absolutely. Do not even have a mask because I have not been out. Do have to go to settle some business May 18, so will get one before then. Have had grocery, meds, plant & seed, promix, garden tool deliveries. Sold a couple Zometool sets remotely using Paypal and porch pick-up. Am trying, via internet, to make a connection to cut dead bamboo out of a distant neighbor's backyard. Made our own Easter, birthday, and mother's day cards. Eh, had to order stamps by mail. Video calling family, but would do that anyway as we have no family within hundreds of miles.

I live on a lovely street that is popular with walkers even in non-pandemic times. The street connects two large parks. I see many people walking with masks, bike riding, skateboarding, roller skating, dog-walking, jogging, kids being strollered or towed in wagons The vibe is cheerful and it gives my day a little sparkle to see others enjoying themselves.

A cashier in a grocery store posted on Nextdoor that last night was slow and she kept a tally of how many people wore masks through her line: 102/145, so 70%. One person wished on ND a few days ago that she could find an underground hairstylist, and two stylists responded saying they did like that people might expect them to carry the burden of cutting hair just now.

We've had 1513 diagnosed cases (29 of them yesterday), 86 deaths (two of them yesterday).

Texas_Gem thanked matthias_lang
  • chisue
    3 years ago

I'm in the same quiet residential town as bpath (north of Chicago, pop. 19,000). Masks and distancing are required in the 'essential' shops -- the only ones open here. *Everyone* is in compliance here, and at the Costco 15 minutes to the west.

BTW, Marilyn C, people wear cloth or surgical type masks to protect other people. I require an N95 small-particle-filter mask for my rare outings because I am immuno-compromised. DS gave me two he had leftover from a pack he'd used when sanding. DH started wearing a mask in grocery stores in early March; personnel made a point of thanking him.

This county (pop. 696,500) has 4837 virus-positive cases as of last week and 161 deaths. There is a disproportionate number of cases within Hispanic/Latino populations, largely in the largest city of Waukegan and in North Chicago. The county is 61% non-Hispanic white; 22% Hispanic white, and 7.5% black.

Texas_Gem thanked chisue
  • woodrose
    3 years ago

1. central Kentucky

2. Yes. in steps. We're in step 1 right now.

3. Trying to. The only people I see are family and DH's home health nurse and therapists.

4. Haven't been anywhere for nine weeks, but I'm told most people in stores are wearing masks. We've only had about 34 confirmed cases in my county, with one death and most of the others have recovered.

Texas_Gem thanked woodrose
  • glenda_al
    3 years ago

Alabama

Yes

I have only been out TWICE since this all started.

First time was to get gas, pick up prescriptions and cash a check. Wore my mask and gloves and getting gas noticed most had the same on.

Went out for the second time, this weekend, only to Winn Dixie, and saw half and half. Surprised to see kids without masks as well.

Social distancing at the check out.

DIL and son got out as the stores were open this past weekend to shop. Said they saw most people wearing masks, no gloves and not much social distancing when shopping but checking out they saw people were social distancing.

I'm not ready to get out. Still doing my on line pickup shopping at Wal Mart.

I'm fine.

Watch my church service on line. Which they announced they were waiting until June as well as my gym.

Too soon for things to be opening up. My opinion.

Texas_Gem thanked glenda_al
  • sprtphntc7a
    3 years ago

1. suburb of Philly

2. half the state that is rural is in 'yellow' phase.... we are a 'red zone', so not re-opening. June 4th is our target date to move to 'yellow'.

3. red zone: social distancing, cannot enter a store w/o a mask, restaurants are only doing take-out. still only pharmacies, food stores, HD/lowes, walmart/target, gas stations, banks open. yes we are SD and wearing masks.... home unless we go to store or get take out... ugh!

4. others: everyone is following rules, you really don't have a choice. you cannot get into a store w/o a mask. 6 feet markers on floor, people telling you where to check out, only certain amout of people allowed in store (person at door has a 'counter')..... very strict which i am happy for.

there are rumblings that schools will not go back to normal come September. i don't know what they are going to do but did hear "odd/even days". they are afraid the kids will be 'super carriers'. the teacher, parents, grandparents, after school care places will be sickened by the kids... very overwhelming.

i think we will have a 'new normal' come the Fall, when the expect the virus to explode again.

Texas_Gem thanked sprtphntc7a
  • stacey_mb
    3 years ago

I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Because of our location and relatively small population, we have avoided having the numbers of other Canadian locations. So far, our province has had 287 cases with 7 deaths. Our temperatures have also been colder than normal, encouraging people to stay indoors.

Our area is starting to reopen, with dentists, hair salons, etc. now allowed to operate, but with rules such as having people spaced apart and masks being mandatory. Libraries and schools are still closed.

We are social distancing and it helps for getting outdoors that a neighborhood street used by many for walking and biking is now mostly closed to vehicle traffic. Grocery stores and other locations such as Walmart are restricting numbers of customers entering the store at any one time and have arrows in their aisles, but do not require masks.

I see people mostly social distancing and some wearing masks, but I find myself sometimes having to take detours around people who are clustering. I don't wear a mask, but will need to when I visit the hair salon next week.

Texas_Gem thanked stacey_mb
  • marilyn_c
    3 years ago

Thank you for your concern, chisue. There have been 8 cases in this county. No deaths. I don't get close to people. I am claustraphobic and I have been sick so few times in my life, I can remember each time. I live 20 miles from town. There are no deliveries, except mail, out here. I might die in a car wreck....but I am not going to stop driving. I don't live in an apartment, ride mass transit and haven't been on a plane in 25 years. Not in a nursing home, like the one where Cuomo sent covid victims which resulted in many deaths. If you or anyone else is afraid of getting sick from me....concentrste your concern for those who need it.

Texas_Gem thanked marilyn_c
  • phoggie
    3 years ago

Rural small town in east central Kansas. We only have 3 active cases in our county...most surrounding counties have few to none. We do have three meat packing plants in our state and they have had more, but death rate is low.

Since I have some other health issues, I am wearing a mask when I go to the store, but do have some friends who come sit on my deck or porch, and since none of us have been out and about, and are sitting far apart in fresh air, we do not wear them then.

Stores and restaurants are opening back up and hair salons will open next week. A very few churches are opening while wearing masks and families sitting 8’ apart, no passing collection plates, no hugs or handshaking...or they are listening from cars in their parking lots...but for a few more weeks, I will be watching videos.

As for others, very few (mostly elderly) are wearing masks...and parking lots at Walmart, Target, Home Depot, etc look like tomorrow is Christmas!

Texas_Gem thanked phoggie
  • hallngarden
    3 years ago

Here in coastal Carolina. Restaurants have been opened for indoor dining. News was showing lines of people waiting with NO social distancing. Said could only admit 50 percent capacity. Noticed no one waiting had on mask while waiting in crowd. We have not been out as our family has brought everything to our porch. Being in our eighties have no intention of dining out at this time. Have been very content staying home with lots of beach walking. Our area has been closed to residents only for several months. Curious to see local news at 5 , know today being first day of indoor dining will be topic.

Texas_Gem thanked hallngarden
  • pudgeder
    3 years ago

Ditto Moni -- except for the camping & bike riding.

(including the general location)

Texas_Gem thanked pudgeder
  • kadefol
    3 years ago

Central TX

Restaurants, gyms, beauty shops, nail salons, barber shops, malls, retail stores, have all opened at 50% capacity. Gyms will open on May 18th. Public pools will reopen in June. Schools are still closed.

Yes, we have since March and will continue to do so until we fell it's safe to go back to "normal".

Most people have already gone back to "normal" and all their usual activities. There are many who consider Covid a hoax and never social-distanced at all. Many people are no longer wearing masks nor maintaining distance from others.

Texas_Gem thanked kadefol
  • lucillle
    3 years ago

Texas.

I'm living under a rock until further notice, so I don't know what everyone else is doing.

Texas_Gem thanked lucillle
  • samkarenorkaren
    3 years ago

. What area/region are you in?

Just outside of Chicago

Not really. Gov won't allow it. A lot of curbside pickup and few places that are open require masks to be worn.

Yes. Got nowhere to go.

4. What do you see others doing in your area

Instead of saying saying Have a Nice Day....it's now Be Safe

Texas_Gem thanked samkarenorkaren
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    3 years ago

1. What area/region are you in? Coastal Washington
    2. Is your area starting to reopen? Just barely. Some construction and landscaping. We were one of the counties marked as to be allowed to go to Stage 2 sooner, but after three weeks of no new cases virus (it had been 12 confirmed) there were two confirmed last Thursday. I think that takes us out of the running, but not sure. With beaches to consider and what might happen if those were to be opened, our commissioners had not jumped on the possibility of loosening restrictions yet ahead of the rest of the state anyway.
    3. Are you social distancing? Absolutely and with careful thought. I have a 93 yr old mother and want to be free to be right there with her the minute we are allowed back into her facility. And with a clear conscience. Dh has been fully cooperating too. We've had takeout food once. We're doing little other than grocery store, although he did have a needed service on his truck this morning. We're wearing masks, have gloves, hand sanitizer, disinfecting spray and all four things with us any time we are out. We have had 'driveway' guests with correct social distancing (and hand sanitizer for their use in the garage should they want something from the refrigerator there. This has always been a very 'open house', literally everyone has the garage door code and came and went freely - pre virus).
    4. What do you see others doing in your area? People we are close to, family, neighbors, friends are doing very little. All family and most friends are trying hard to flatten the curve. DH did the last shopping trip and he was disappointed to see entire families out and none wearing masks in Safeway yesterday. I had made a trip into RiteAid several days ago, had a list that wasn't really consumables and thought I could fill it there. Very few masks, not even the clerks. I didn't go to the back by the pharmacy but would guess those employees were wearing them but the young man who rang up my purchases was not. I won't go back.

I had a Polyclinic appt in Seattle next week and called, changed it to end of July. I just wasn't quite ready to go into the city, be in their lobby and elevator and told the receptionist on the phone. She was great about it, and said very, very few are coming in for annual well-patient checkups, no problems changing the date.

Texas_Gem thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

1. Rural area just outside Huntsville, AL

2. Yes, Alabama entered Phase 2 today, May 11, which means hair, nail salons and barber shops, gyms and fitness centers can open as well as restaurants at 50% with restrictions on sanitization and number of occupants. Gatherings of more than 10 are now allowed (churches for example), but no concerts, movie theaters, bowling alleys.

3. Yes, still practice social distancing. We pretty much only go to the grocery store, maybe once a week. DH has been to the post office and a couple of times to Home Depot for supplies. I went to HD lawn center for supplies one morning also and it wasn't crowded and most had masks. We have picked up take-out/curbside about 3-4 times so far. I am tired of cooking and I never thought I would say that.

4. I'd say overall about 60-70% are masked wherever we go. Most who are not are younger people. Most people in our family and in our social circle are also practicing social distancing as far as I know. We have two cocktail party Zoom calls each week with friends so we know they are. We celebrated one daughter-in-law's PhD via Zoom last week. Normally this would have been a huge family affair with her family and ours in attendance as well as a bunch of their friends and our grandkids. I initiated a Zoom Board meeting today with 20 participants. It worked very well. Then I attended another one with 24 or 25 participants later in the day.

One niece and her family made a pact with a good friend and her family (they call each other 'framily') they would interact with each other on occasion and no one else. It breaks the monotony for their 4-6 year olds with sleep-overs on occasion. They have been very careful and it has worked.

Texas_Gem thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Kathsgrdn
    3 years ago

Central Kentucky.

Yes, they opened certain medical clinics last week, Sunday was in person church services due to a judge's order. Monday, more openings, like dog groomers and I think physical therapists. They have to have social distancing and use other precautions, though.

When I can. I did finally have an EGD that was overdue, been having unexplained pain for awhile, thought it was an ulcer. No ulcer so now I have to have a CT scan. Got my foot injected today with a steroid for pain, which was supposed to be done in March or April...I can't remember now. Only one other patient in the entire clinic and they were doing major social distancing inside the building. Everyone, including me wore a mask. I'm also still working 40 hours a week. I work in a small office so it's impossible to social distance too much, especially with other nurses and admin people coming from other units to work in our area.

Very few people are wearing masks, other than in medical facilities. After the foot injections I went to an Asian market where everyone had masks on, only one other customer besides me, my daughter and her girlfriend. We then went across the street to the Parkette, a 50s style drive up burger place, like Sonic. Their inside seating was closed but we weren't planning to eat in there anyway. My daughter wanted to buy me lunch for Mother's day, so we ate in our cars. The server who brought out our food didn't wear a mask. We ate in the back parking lot after we got our food. Sat and talked for a little bit until a mass of about 10 or 12 old timey cars pulled in and surrounded us. Parking extremely close to our cars. We decided it was time to leave then. I think only one of those people who got out of their cars was wearing a mask. I feel like I took a chance on my health eating that burger but the container was closed up when she brought it out to me. I just hope the people cooking it were masked.

Texas_Gem thanked Kathsgrdn
  • desertsteph
    3 years ago

outside of Phx - there's a city or2 between us

yes, they started last Friday I think and more today. I went out yesterday to a local grocery about 6 miles away. there were more people there than the previous Sunday but still not very many. Traffic was a bit heavier on the main road but not like pre this thing.

yes as much as possible. I've only been going out every 7-10 days and usually only to 1 or 2 places. the 2nd one is usually my sister's where I drop off my trash and pick up water jugs (her son leaves them at the gate). I don't have to go up by the house or see anyone. tho I usually wave at the dog.

more people out this past week. yesterday about 60% of those in the store had masks. It was younger people who didn't wear them. I saw family go into the store, parents and 2-3 kids. I wouldn't be taking kids in with me. they did all put masks on before entering. all the cashiers, baggers, mngr etc had them on. I wore my homemade 'mask'. I hadn't attached the elastic yet so I just pinned the elastic to it. I have a wipe ready to use while I'm in the store and use one on my hands when I get to the car. they have disinfected carts by the entry door. I haven't been to W in over a month - too many people and lines outside (we've had temps the past 2 wks from 100-107). From our evening news it looks like lots of people in Phx aren't social distancing or wearing masks. lots of people were close together in eating places and stores shopping. Some eating places aren't opening up yet - they think it is too soon, but are continuing with to go orders until they see how this 1st stage of opening goes.

I won't be one going out just for general shopping. I need to go to the bank but other than that I'll stay with my local grocery every 7-10 days.

Texas_Gem thanked desertsteph
  • User
    3 years ago

Typo - I meant to type that they AREN't thinking this is a hoax just over sensationalized in the media!

People aren't thinking this is a hoax, many feel that the panic is unwarranted and the early numbers death & doom numbers are unrealistic.

I still agree with the protect all those that are at risk, the elderly, immuno-compromised and such. But allow those that aren't at risk the right to choose to continue to work, shop, exercise and such.

I wore masks for years working in hospitals in direct patient contact. Most of the people that I've seen wearing masks are negating any protection from them by breathing out the sides and top of them. And some are not covering their noses at all.

Texas_Gem thanked User
  • maddielee
    3 years ago

How can over 80,000 people dead in a little over 3.5 months be considered a hoax?

Texas_Gem thanked maddielee
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

A "hoax"?? Ignorance is truly bliss!

Anyone who actually believes COVID 19 is a hoax just confirms my opinion that this country is sadly heavily populated by folks who are dumber than a box of rocks!!

Texas_Gem thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • chisue
    3 years ago

Marilyn C -- I wasn't worried you infecting 'them'. I don't know 'them'! I was worried that they weren't wearing masks or distancing, and they could infect YOU!

This is only 'the beginning', judging from the Spanish Flu. That came in three 'waves'. This won't be 'over' until 60-80% of us have immunity, whether from surviving infection or through immunization. Currently about 5% of us have immunity...we *think*, not knowing how Covid-19 continues to act within the body.

Texas_Gem thanked chisue
  • User
    3 years ago

Sorry folks I typo'd above.

Interesting Maddie - the 2017- 2018 flu death totals are > 61,000 per the CDC. I don't remember that being considered an epidemic and requiring the closing of business in my state. Was it in yours?

Texas_Gem thanked User
  • Eileen
    3 years ago

So if those flu deaths weren't an epidemic, COVID-19 is not an epidemic either? Or is that another typo?

Texas_Gem thanked Eileen
  • wildchild2x2
    3 years ago

I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area. I don't believe that Covid 19 is a hoax nor do I think it is conspiracy. However I do believe a certain political party is colluding to to drag this thing out as long as they possibility can to further their agendas. Hence the constant moving of goal posts, number crunching and shushing anyone in the medical community and first responders who try to put forth some valid viewpoints.

There is way too much inconsistency and hypocrisy afoot. The rules are insane. You can go on the beach but you cannot sit down. It is closed from 11:00 am to 5:00 PM. So no sunshine allowed for you. SMH I thought it was a typo but it was varified by two residents of the area who I called and asked. When I working horses the other day we were trying to figure out what the heck "singles" horseback riding was. Did they have us confused with figure skaters? LOL They also banned car parades for children and others. It's not essential to bring joy to a child or someone ill or housebound.

We are supposed to be in stage two but the again, the goal posts keep moving. It's Calvin Ball.

The masks are a joke. Few are wearing them correctly and it's downright scary to see all the misuse and cross contamination going on. They are only required in stores but a lot of people are wearing them everywhere. As I noted weeks ago the unmasked people doing a better job of social distancing and are more courteous and self aware.

Traffic is increasing and the places that are open are more packed than ever before.

Texas_Gem thanked wildchild2x2
  • User
    3 years ago

Nope Toby, not a typo - the CDC lists the flu deaths here: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/past-seasons.html

Check under 2017-2018 deaths & the estimate is 61,000 with more to be added as the information becomes available. To add more information that year there were 45,000,000 symptomatic cases and 810,000 hospitalizations. These numbers are only for the US not worldwide numbers.

Texas_Gem thanked User
  • Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

" I do believe a certain political party is colluding to to drag this thing out "

Oh my, such a paranoid insinuation. How are these political operatives dragging things out, by spreading virus to healthy people to juice the numbers?

If you want to give it a balanced view, how about our national government leadership that did its best to ignore and minimize the threat and has made it far worse than it needed to be by its inaction and stalling. And that continues to try to make this a political and personal matter for the president. And that continues to block people and efforts, the true experts, with no political agenda to make things better. Is that a collusion too?

Russia is doing the same thing, you'd hope we'd be better than that but we're not.

Texas_Gem thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • chisue
    3 years ago

A coronavirus is not an influenza virus. Covid-19 is also a big unknown within the realm of coronaviruses. It has already proven to be much more deadly than flu. We not only have no medication to fight it, we lack the basic chemicals required to manufacture tests for immunity, let alone distribute and administer the tests.

All we have is physical distancing and masks.

Skip mayors, governors and presidents. Covid-19 is running this show. Listen to the epidemiologists who *know viruses*. Dr. Faucci is one. Dr. Michael Osterholm (U of MN) is another.

Osterholm predicts two more waves of Covid-19 and 800,000 total deaths in the US before it's done -- possibly as 'soon' as 18 months -- and somewhat dependent on a vaccine being discovered, manufactured, and administered. He compares this onslaught to a baseball game -- where we are now in the second inning.

Texas_Gem thanked chisue
  • lindaohnowga
    3 years ago

Southwest of Atlanta GA

Places are starting to open up with restrictions

We will continue wearing masks and social distancing and staying home as much as possible

Texas_Gem thanked lindaohnowga
  • Eileen
    3 years ago

Raye, I wasn't questioning your numbers. By comparing COVID-19 to a prior's year flu mortality, you seem to be saying that we are not in an epidemic/pandemic now.

Texas_Gem thanked Eileen
  • maddielee
    3 years ago

“ - the 2017- 2018 flu death totals are > 61,000 per the CDC. I don't remember that being considered an epidemic and requiring the closing of business in my state. Was it in yours?”

How many months? 61,000 in 12 months? Compared to over 80,000 in 3.5 months?

Texas_Gem thanked maddielee
  • kadefol
    3 years ago

We can't really compare COVID-19 to the
    flu. Between 3 and 4% of COVID-19 infected have died worldwide,
    compared to less than 1% who die from influenza.

And, because COVID-19 is new, we have no idea how far-reaching
    its long term health effects are for those who become infected. Plus,
    none of us have immunity to COVID-19 and we don't have a vaccine.
    Granted, the flu vaccine is not 100% effective, but it helps lessen the
    severity of the illness. We have nothing similar for this new virus.

Also, based on current limited studies, while we can become
    immune to flu strains, people who were infected with COVID-19 did not
    develop any immunity to it and could become reinfected.

Texas_Gem thanked kadefol
  • nickel_kg
    3 years ago

Flu seasons haven't concerned me too much, because me and my family and many of my coworkers (back when I worked) get the annual flu shot. The worst season I remember, the local school system shut down a few days due to kids being absent. I don't remember businesses being shut down, but my memory only goes back to the 1960's. Previously communicable diseases were widely preventable by then.

To get back to the OP:

1. I'm in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Poultry is big here, employing many recent immigrants. As is common, Covid-19 is disproportionately impacting the less well off segments of our society more than us middle-class types.

2. Governor says to expect to start reopening as of Friday, as long as the metrics stay on trend. He will allow regions to reopen more slowly if they want -- Northern VA (the DC metro area) already asked and received permission to delay reopening until their region also meets the metrics. Phase One doesn't really change much, though. It's still mostly shut down. Phase Two is at least two weeks away -- again pending favorable metrics. As we drove by The Olive Garden the other day, they were setting out little dining tables every other car space. Practicing for opening, maybe.

3. Yes, DH and I are social distancing. I have two sisters and one brother in law in town. They are also social distancing so we're acting as a "safe bubble" of five.

4. Many people are wearing masks and taking care to keep 6 feet or more apart in public. Mostly we've walked in our own neighborhood. We did go to Lowes the other day and half of the people were not wearing masks. Today we went to the grocery store, sat in car to put on our masks. A young woman exited her car, looked at me, and returned to her car for a mask :-)

Texas_Gem thanked nickel_kg
  • Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

maddielee, no need to waste your time. It's another demonstration of the bell curve from the same person, as I've mentioned before. Everyone's ability to think and process information is not the same. You know that as well as anyone, don't let it frustrate you.

• Elizabeth
    3 years ago

I was wondering how Bob_Cville is? Has he posted lately?

Texas_Gem thanked Elizabeth
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

My check in:

West Central FL coast - it's in my username - Tampa Bay area

Yes, and I think it's too soon.

Yes indeed, as I've been caring for my elderly mom who was in the hospital and then a rehab facility for the first month of this. I was working part time for those weeks, but it was limited hours mostly outdoors and distanced, or indoors by myself away from others, and going nowhere else. Now most of our staff is on administrative leave at base pay, so I'm glad I can afford to stay home.

I see a number of folks being quite careless. I'm only going out to pick up groceries curbside, not going inside anywhere, so I'm not getting out much, though I've done some driving around just to see what's going on. I was struck by how busy the home improvement stores have been all along - parking lots always look full. Whether or not folks wear masks depends on the type of place. At a local natural foods/health foods market everybody was taking precaution. At Publix and Walmart, not so much.

I also see some really belligerent people on our local nextdoor.com being extremely rude and disrespectful to those expressing concern over how many people here are disregarding the health and safety guidelines. Neighbors are posting anecdotal reports and photos of people gathering in groups with no precautions, no distancing.

I find it quite disturbing that a non-partisan public health issue appears to have become a partisan political issue - encouraged and taken up by those on the conservative/libertarian end of the spectrum. The phrase 'cutting off your nose to spite your face' seems apt.

Texas_Gem thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • maire_cate
    3 years ago

maire_cate

1. Southern NJ - 20 miles from Philadelphia, 75 miles SW from NYC.

2. Re-open? No but it is under discussion and I hope it doesn't happen too soon.

3. We are practicing social distancing. I saw my only grandchild for the first time in 10 weeks when my DS and DDIL delivered flowers and a card on Mother's Day. I wanted to give her a hug but we kept our distance and our masks scared her. I walk every afternoon with 5 other women in my little neighborhood - all wearing masks and walking on opposite sides of the street.

4. Everyone one is wearing a mask in the stores - employees and customers. Many stores have signs stating 'No mask - no service'. I've been ordering groceries online for curbside pickup and the only time I went inside a store in 2 months was the day the pharmacy couldn't get their pick-up drawer to open because it was jammed.

All 3 kids are working from their homes although DD is anxious because her boss told them furloughs were coming in June. There is very little traffic on the highways, the stores are limiting the number of people allowed inside, most people are keeping their distances.

I'm aware of several small shops have closed permanently - my Sew and Vac called today to tell me to pick up my sewing machine because they decided to retire. The little Italian restaurant that we frequented has shuttered for good.

Texas_Gem thanked maire_cate
  • blubird
    3 years ago

Just an aside, Maire_caite, you're probably not that far from Hamilton, my now go to sewing machine repair place, Stony Brook vac and sew on route 130.

1. Central NJ

2. Food places hav been open for takeout, gun stores have also been open most of this time, Golf courses and parks have reopened, It appears our home improvement stores have been packed all this time. My kids have been picking up stuff in supermarkets for me, but I always have been pretty well stocked, so mostly what I needed are fresh fruits and veggies.

3. We are social distancing and pretty much isolated except for brief food drop offs.

4. Since we are remaining at home I really don't know what others are doing except for what I see posted on Facebook. We really do have some knuckleheads who are trying to make political statements tied up with their Covid behavior.

Texas_Gem thanked blubird
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    3 years ago

We are in what they call stage 2. Places that you go in to eat are to only have 50% capacity. Shelves I am told have some food, prices are up though. Elective surgery is available with no children under 18 to be visiting and only one family member can come and stay for surgery. Masks are worn. I have plenty of food with out much groceries brought to me. I really don't know how things are as I am still staying home and have been since March 12th. I keep very busy and time just flies by.

Sue in Central Indiana

Texas_Gem thanked Marilyn Sue McClintock
  • maire_cate
    3 years ago

Blubird - Good to know and thank you for that information. I checked the map and they're only 17 miles from here and it looks interesting - much larger & more services than my little shop. I'm glad they repaired my machine but DS had a Dyson vac there and since the parts weren't readily available they simply told him to pick it up. I'll pass the name along to him.

Texas_Gem thanked maire_cate
  • dee_can1
    3 years ago

Nova Scotia. We're pretty much closed except for trails and parks opening with strict rules about amount of people and social distancing. No offense to my American friends, but the border between Canada and the US is closed with some exceptions (trade for example); but I'll be happy to see it stay closed for however long it takes.

Texas_Gem thanked dee_can1
  • studio10001
    3 years ago

Thought I would share this for those wishing to visit friends. They are called walking pods:

Texas_Gem thanked studio10001
  • Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

"No offense to my American friends, but the border between Canada and the US is closed with some exceptions (trade for example); but I'll be happy to see it stay closed for however long it takes."

I'll bet you and your fellow Canadians never expected that your southern border would be with a nation run like a Third World country, complete with a dictator as if it were a "banana republic". I don't blame Canada for keeping that border closed.

• desertsteph
    3 years ago

"your southern border would be with a nation run like a Third World country, complete with a dictator as if it were a "banana republic".

the border isn't far away, you could cross over. the left is doing a great job of helping Trump. almost every week I hear of a politician on the left changing to support him.

• Elizabeth
    3 years ago

We should have a separate thread for political discussions only. So many other posts get sidetracked into politically commentary/debate. Perhaps called Right vs Left. I think it would be very lively place and make KT threads more pleasant.

Texas_Gem thanked Elizabeth
  • eld6161
    3 years ago

And hopefully if we do that it won’t turn in to Hot Topics.

Texas_Gem thanked eld6161
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

Hot Topics is for political debate, no need to reinvent the wheel. Anyone who would like to can post there.

Texas_Gem thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • maifleur03
    3 years ago

For those in Wisconsin your Supreme Court has stated the governor does not have the authority to extend the stay at home order without legislative approval. Not certain if the decision touches on if the governor had the legal right to issue it in the first place the way I see some in my state, Missouri, claiming. Not a good move in my opinion. https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/05/13/coronavirus-update-us/ 

Texas_Gem thanked maifleur03
  • dee_can1
    3 years ago

Just to clear it up, I meant I'll be happy that the border stays closed because we don't want Covid19 to spread... both ways. I'll keep my opinion about the political situation to myself. lol Adding on: it was very stressful with the snowbirds coming back to Canada and bringing the virus up with them. The rule was they had to self-isolate for at least a couple of weeks after arriving here in Canada.

Texas_Gem thanked dee_can1