SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_997033148

AV leaves started but I need evaluation

Around the second or third week of June I groomed the two African violets I had, and saved some leaves I took off them. I believe my plants are Optimara Rebecca and Optimara Lucia. These leaves laid around the kitchen for a couple of days until I had a chance to make up a pot for them. I planted two of each type in one community container, a plastic take-out dish with a cover. Drilled holes in the bottom of the pot for drainage of excess moisture, cut leaf stems diagonally at about 3/4" long, cut the top ends off leaves, dipped stem ends into rooting hormone, and patted them into the soil at an angle.

The cover fits really snugly if pressed down, but I leave it only loosely over the pot, always a gap for air, and after the first day there rarely if ever got to be any condensation inside, such as would happen if there was excessive heat like from the sun shining on it.

The pot has not had any added water since it was set up. It remains moist but free of mildew or mold.

One leaf rotted within a couple weeks, but the other three are going strong. I've gently poked around near the ends of the stems with a pencil to see what's happening and there are lots and lots of roots. But no babies! (At least I'm not willing to dig down to the stem ends to look.) By tomorrow it will have been about 11-12 weeks since I started these leaves. I did it as practice, in case I want to order leaves to start. I'm just not sure I did it right because I'm not seeing any offspring, and I don't want to spend months of time on ordered leaves unless I think I've got the hang of it.

Maybe the leaves I selected were too old, because they were certainly from the more mature leaves of the plants, that I thought should be groomed off. You think? Though what I saw on YouTube etc led me to think that nearly any AV materials could be rooted and produce young plants, given care.

Here's a photo. No tiny leaves, dang it.

If I should just calm down and wait, don't hesitate to say so. After all, they're not dead. Just... I don't see much happening. Should I be doing better? How?

Many thanks,

Signed, impatiently/anxiously/humbly/know I'm a total beginner when it comes to this plant,

Joan

Comments (37)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus