SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_339647040

Retail therapy and redecorating due to empty nest syndrome

Jilly
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I’m grieving my baby (26, still my baby) leaving home for good. The tears are always near, so I don’t want to go into it here. I just have to deal. I will say that she was only 15 when my husband, her dad, died ... so we have another level of closeness from that. From surviving unimaginable pain together. She is my daughter and best friend, and wow does this hurt. Such a huge change of life. She did live at university for 4 yrs, but came home often, so it wasn’t a permanent thing yet. Anyway!

She doesn’t want her bed, and has no sentimental attachment to it, so I’m going to sell it for her. I can’t look it at in there, need something different for my mental health.

I’m doing a casual, vintage, little bit boho, little bit rustic, eclectic look. Or something. It’s a small room, so the only other furniture might be a chair or bench. It has a big closet, and we really don’t have guests much anymore, so no dresser, etc, needed. It might be my “snoring husband retreat”. Will have lots of books and be super cozy.

Got this rattan bed ordered, already have the Victorian Crazy Quilt, crochet pillow covers, and creamy coverlet, have the Mexican pine nightstand, need the rug (getting it from the Sundance site), and a lamp (not necessarily this one). The room has, depending on light, cream/gold/khaki paint.

The quilt and coverlet are circa 1993 — I ordered them from the Spiegel’s catalog for our first guest room — and have been in storage since 2004. Can’t wait to use them again. Now they‘re vintage, ha!

There’s a very big window with window seat, going to have flowy macrame cafe curtains (it has 2-inch white wood blinds for privacy) and a couple of plants and pillows on it. My dad is downsizing right now and may have some art for me. Old family stuff.

I’m going to be changing her bathroom, too, will post more later.

I will NOT be doing 4000 LED lights ANYWHERE. (Inside joke, some of you who frequent HD will get it.) :)

Just thought I’d share my latest project.

Closer of the quilt — actually the matching accent pillow:

Comments (42)