SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alena886

Walnut stained wood dilemma causing marriage to crumble.

alena886
3 years ago

Ok, marriage is fine. Maybe.

Just purchased this 1981 built house and I was prepared to repaint walls, change some lighting fixtures and replace flooring. After purchasing, my husband says he wants to paint everything that doesn’t have a pulse. So all trim/moulding/doors/windows/walls...everything (not kitchen cabinets- those are separate issue). We are constantly arguing over flooring and paint colors. Yes, it is hard to find the perfect floor that goes well with walnut without making the house look much darker. It’s also hard to get a lighter floor because the contrast stands out too much. I am also the proud owner of 6,524 paint samples of which none seem to be working.

The wood is great quality - this is a one owner home since it was built and it has good bones. Just needs updating. I am terrified to paint all the trim because that means repainting and chipping and dirty kid hands and scuff marks and...

Yet, finding paint colors and flooring and then decor to blend in and match is causing me to start saying some not-so-nice words.

All advice is welcome, needed and appreciated!

Comments (21)